To Think About . . .

Nothing is foolproof because fools are ingenious. Anon

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > Backlog of backlogs

I knew I'd get to this point, but didn't know it would be so soon -- what happens if I declare a backlog, and before it's cleared out, I'm behind again? I know the big-picture answer is to audit the workload, but in the meantime, does the new backlog become backlog #2, a second closed list?
March 14, 2008 at 22:59 | Unregistered CommenterAnne
Hi, Anne

This is always liable to be a problem if you don't adequately carry out the second step in clearing a backlog, which is "Get the system for new stuff right". You have to be able to answer in the affirmative the question "If my backlog disappeared overnight, would I be able to keep up with my work?"

There's not much point in having two backlogs, so you would be best advised to add the new backlog to the old backlog. But don't attempt to clear the new backlog until you have carried out the audit and can say "Yes" to the above question.
March 15, 2008 at 10:23 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Very helpful; thanks a lot. In starting the audit, one thing that was immediately helpful was to implement a part of the system I had skipped the first time: identify the no-deadline projects and work on only one at a time. It turns out a lot of what I thought was backlog was really too many non-deadline projects competing to be done at once.

Thanks very much for your work in this area.
March 15, 2008 at 12:35 | Unregistered CommenterAnne
Ah, thank you for this! I just read this thread and suddenly realised what my problem is: too many non-deadline projects competing to be done at once!!

However, I also know *why* that is, but I don't know the answer to the problem: I'm freelance, so I only ever get a chance to do the non-deadline projects when there isn't much (paid) work around, because usually all my work is extremely deadline-driven, and the deadlines are ofte so tight that everything else has to go out of the window (unfortunately that's the nature of my work, there's not much I can do about it unless I want to change profession!).

It does mean, however, that whenever I get the chance to do all the other things, there is some part of me that desperately wants to do *all* of them while I can. Because I know from experience that, once I get busy again, it may be months until I get another chance! So I tend to get this sense of panic, trying to cram everything in before the next job suddenly lands in my inbox. It really feels like – to use an analogy from DIT – I've got this menu in front of me and I know there's a chance I may not be able to eat again for ages, so I try to eat everything at once.

I know it's silly. But I'm not really sure what to do about this...

Betti
April 3, 2008 at 19:18 | Unregistered CommenterBetti
Dear Betti

Generally speaking it's better to do non-deadline projects one at a time. But if you are in a situation where you have no other work, then it obviously makes sense to tackle more than one project.

But it's important to be selective. Don't try to do them all. Decide how many you can best handle at one time and pick that number of projects to work on out of all the possible ones.
April 3, 2008 at 22:11 | Registered CommenterMark Forster