To Think About . . .

Nothing is foolproof because fools are ingenious. Anon

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > Flowchart and rules/principles, e.g. Map with legend of DIT

Does such a creature exist--a flowchart with rules/principles sort of like a map with a legend?

I'm trying to make one to help me more quickly learn/apply DIT. I'm finding it more difficult than I had imagined, even though I've read the book 3x, and have read many of the posts onsite.

Bob
June 12, 2008 at 17:00 | Unregistered CommenterBob
Hi Bob,

This is not a flow-chart at all, but a good summary of DIT.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~charles57/GTD/dit_nutshell.html

Hmmm...this is a challenge. I think maybe I will try to create a flow-chart as a pdf file and let people review it, make suggestions (of course from Mark himself!), and then maybe we all will end up with a good flow-chart much like you see with GTD.

Best wishes,
-David
June 12, 2008 at 20:54 | Unregistered CommenterDavid Drake
Dear Bob

Can you give some idea of the areas in which you are finding difficulty? It might be easier to address them directly.

GTD needs a flow chart because it is a complicated system. But DIT is much simpler than GTD.

Mark
June 13, 2008 at 12:34 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Mark, David,

Thanks both for your replies. David, yes, after reading a book Writing on Napkins (or some such title about visual thinking) I've realized the vast importance of communicating ideas visually in learning, mastery, and growth in a skill set or idea. Having something like the advanced flowchart was exactly what I was thinking.

Mark, I do agree the principles are simple (stay connected to one day of incoming work to one day of outgoing work while reducing those things that yield a reactive mind stimulus-response and conditioning those skills that contribute to think-decide-act of the rational mind's prioritized goals and commitments).

However, I can simplify life, via my current belief systems, to 4 steps--be born, make a conscious or unconscious decision about who Jesus is, die, afterlife. But despite the simplicity, there is so much more to the living part that certain tools help with.

So despite the simple principles you've shared in your book, I'm having trouble connecting everything together and conditioning myself in this new way of thinking about work and decisions as more "stuff" appears while I work.

Thanks again.

Bob

June 14, 2008 at 14:40 | Unregistered CommenterBob
As I've been thinking about this, trying to create a visual representation, this is something I've used:

There are certain principles and rules of thumb that are stated in posts and the DIT book. So when I encounter those I ask, "In what ways are these principles shown in action while using this system?" and then list those that seem to fit.

However, there also seem to be some unexpressed rules of thumb/principles. As I'm exploring that idea, I ask, "How does this action or choice in thought processes express a principle?"

It's as if you have a table with 2 columns: Principles and Actions that flow from them. Everything from the system should fit in one of the columns, and one action may express more than one principle.

Bob
June 14, 2008 at 14:53 | Unregistered CommenterBob
The book was Back of the Napkin about visual thinking. Excellent book.

June 14, 2008 at 14:59 | Unregistered CommenterBob
As I understand it from your reply, you are having difficulty dealing with more "stuff" appearing while you work.

The flow chart for that part is easy:

a. Does this need action today?

b. If yes, add to today's Task List.

c. If no, add to tomorrow's Task List.
June 16, 2008 at 10:31 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
What are the questions you ask yourself, in similar format, for projects with deadlines, without deadlines, and ongoing projects?

I've considered having a project sheet with a list of known actions required and recycling it through my true "in" box.

How do you process these?

Thanks

Bob
June 17, 2008 at 16:58 | Unregistered CommenterBob
As I've been working on a visual representation of the Do-it-tomorrow system, I realize part of the problem is the project thing listed above and one other area.

Time.

It is the intersection of many projects within the limits of today's activities/tasks that seems to be a major sticking point.

Intellectually I understand the one-proj at a time if it doesn't have a deadline and the "future" income it creates. However the backlog presented has many things with no deadlines. I am currently prioritizing them by what I call the R-line or Revenue-line or Reality-line. Most of them are one-off projects in that they bring in income once.

In fact, I created slugline while diagramming: This Brain-of-mine versus the Chain-of-time--indicating the desire to stay rational in a situation which still feels highly reactive brain.

Bob
June 17, 2008 at 17:35 | Unregistered CommenterBob
Bob:

"What are the questions you ask yourself, in similar format, for projects with deadlines, without deadlines, and ongoing projects?"

a. Does this project have a deadline, express or implied?

b. If yes, ask yourself "What actions can be done now relating to this project?" Add them to your Task Diary for tomorrow.

c. If no, is it a continuing project which consists of repeated actions over a long period of time (such as learning a language, getting fit, etc)?

d. If yes, block out a specific time of day for this project.

e. If no, add it to the end of your list of potential projects for the Current Initiative, unless there are particular reasons for adding it earlier.
June 18, 2008 at 19:38 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Bob again:

"Intellectually I understand the one-proj at a time if it doesn't have a deadline and the "future" income it creates. However the backlog presented has many things with no deadlines. I am currently prioritizing them by what I call the R-line or Revenue-line or Reality-line. Most of them are one-off projects in that they bring in income once."

The main reason for doing this type of project one at a time is that it's quicker that way.

Basically what you are doing is drawing up a list of things you intend to get round to "sometime", putting them in order and knocking them off one at a time.

Factors you will probably want to consider when deciding what order to put them in would include importance, profitabilty, effect on the rest of your business,and so on.

I nearly included "urgency" in that list, but of course if something is urgent then it's got a deadline and should be dealt with as such.
June 18, 2008 at 19:46 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
And Bob yet again:

"In fact, I created slugline while diagramming"

What's slugline?
June 18, 2008 at 19:48 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Mark,

I interpret "What's slugline?" 2 ways. Answering both interpretations, hope one helps.

1. Slugline/tagline/catchphrase summary that works for me in organizing the material. Perhaps an unstated principle that is clearly seen through the actions listed/suggested.

2. In this case, when processing work with DIT, "This-brain-of-mine versus the Chain-of-Time" indicating the interlinking of today to tomorrow while acknowledging the future desires/goals/commitments brought rationally and fully into actionable work today or tomorrow.

As I work through, playing with the idea of visual representations for concepts, one concept that came to mind, but probably won't make the final cut is: a wrench with an open end and a boxed/closed end to represent the day's closed task list and those things written and added for the open list. Tomorrow's task list would be more like a wrench with open ends until it is reviewed and "closed." Just thinking.

Bob
June 19, 2008 at 18:35 | Unregistered CommenterBob
I posted a draft outline to the yahoo group in Word format with questions in it. Pasting it here would be very messy probably, so Mark, would you mind reviewing that at your convenience?

Thanks,

Bob
June 24, 2008 at 17:31 | Unregistered CommenterBob
The latest version (Version C) of Bob's file can be downloaded here:

http://www.markforster.net/storage/DIT--vers%20c%20Today%27s%20Work%20overview.doc
June 26, 2008 at 16:17 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Hi Mark and Bob,

This looks very interesting. I will review and if I have any constructive comments and suggestions, I will pass them on. Mark, should I email the Word document to you as an attachment so that you could post it here?

Best regards,
-David
June 27, 2008 at 15:30 | Unregistered CommenterDavid Drake