To Think About . . .

Nothing is foolproof because fools are ingenious. Anon

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > Which urgent job first?!

I think my main problem is not only the sheer volume of work I have to do, but every time I start a job which I think I should be doing all I think of is another more urgent one I COULD be doing!

My problem is that all my jobs are urgent to that particular client, but I find it very difficult trying to prioritise jobs, so I make lists, sort systems out, start one job, then realise I am going to run out of time that day!

My pile of work in the corner of my office is getting bigger by the day, I am picking up more clients now too, which is great, but I don't know where to turn!

Every day someone chases me, the problem is - everything's urgent!

Can you offer any quick advice?!
October 12, 2008 at 21:22 | Unregistered CommenterJason Blackman
As a first step you could follow Mark's advice on auditing backlogs you may have. Also, could you possibly break down 'the job' for your Client into a few key stages so that you can make progress on the Client's job over a few days, you coud then give the client daily feedback on progress if neccessary. Sometimes it's not possible to do a job in one go unless you are able to devote most of your day to it - which may be another possibilty if you take less clients on or book them into your Task Diary. Obviously this depends on the sector of work you are in and wether this is feasible for you and your clients. I'm sure there are lots of other things you can do to make the situation more manageable and I'm sure others on this Forum will offer you valuable advice.
October 13, 2008 at 8:38 | Unregistered CommenterLeon
Jason:

This is the classic "bind" situation which so many busy people fall into, where everything is so pressing that you don't have time to plan your way out of it.

From your posting you give the impression that the majority of your work falls into the DIT categories of "immediate" or "same day". I will answer your question on the basis that you are correct in saying this. However you do need to look carefully at your work to check how much of it really does fall into these categories. How many of these tasks were urgent when they were given to you, and how many only became urgent because you hadn't done them earlier? The latter aren't "same day" items at all.

The best way to prioritise "immediate" and "same day" items is by urgency alone. You simply ask "Which task on my list is the most urgent?" and do it. Then ask the question again, and so on.
October 13, 2008 at 9:59 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Thank you both!

I am an accountant by trade if that's any help... I suppose because I've left the work it has become urgent now, whereas it wasn't quite so urgent (if at all) when it first came in.

I have spent time procrastinating rather than actually getting it done... as I said, whenever I start something, another job always pops into my head, or the phone goes... it just seems a vicious circle at the moment.

Of course, the more I don't do, the more work I get in, the worse the problem gets!
October 13, 2008 at 14:19 | Unregistered CommenterJason Blackman
Jason:

If you read "Do It Tomorrow" you will see that to implement the system, the first action is to put all your backlogs where you can't see them. Then you make sure that new stuff coming in is dealt with properly. That means batching tasks up for action tomorrow, unless they are genuinely "must be done today".

The backlog of old tasks can then be dealt with as a Current Initiative, i.e. you spend time on it first thing every day until it is cleared.

Note that you must follow this sequence, since there is no point in working to clear a backlog if you are unable to deal with new work as it comes in. The question to ask is "if I waved a magic wand and I was suddenly completely up to date with my work, would I be able to stay there?"
October 13, 2008 at 15:10 | Registered CommenterMark Forster