To Think About . . .

Nothing is foolproof because fools are ingenious. Anon

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > Autofocus on Outlook 2007?

Hi Folks,

I am struggling to figure out how to implement the Autofocus system in Outllook 2007. My entire calendar and task system is digital and I wish to keep it that way. Does anyone have any suggestions for using Outlook 2007?

I was thinking of sorting tasks by start date, but not sure how to simulate a "full page" of tasks so that one would start entering tasks on the next start date.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
-David
January 5, 2009 at 16:56 | Unregistered CommenterDavid Drake
I haven't started using the system yet, but based on what I've read so far, I'm envisioning just sorting my task list by the "Created" field, to mimic a handwritten list in the order it was created. Not sure how to address the page-by-page aspect yet.

I would also anticipate having a filter that includes undated tasks and any task whose start date is on or before today, to hide future tasks until they become actionable, but still sorted by created time with the other tasks.

Perhaps someone else has ideas on the "pagination factor".

Or just chuck Outlook and live in a Moleskine notebook.
January 5, 2009 at 19:38 | Unregistered CommenterBrian
I am very used to doing everything digitally as well, having used OneNote, Evernote, PersonalBrain, and Outlook (Using Total Workday Control). I am enjoying just using a Moleskine pocket Cahier with 28 lines for this projects. It goes with me everywhere and is giving me a lot of freedom. Try it. You might like it. By the way, stuff in the future and recurring tasks go in Outlook where I check it every day and add those items into my Moleskine.
January 5, 2009 at 19:47 | Unregistered CommenterJonathan
Brian,

Just create folders of around 25-35 tasks and treat each folder as a "page".

More details at:
http://www.markforster.net/forum/post/622050
January 5, 2009 at 20:07 | Unregistered CommenterFrank
I use Outlook exclusively and am very used to being able to create tasks from e-mails as well as have plenty of space to store information within each task. I am using categories to handle my pages for Autofocus. I just named the first page "~ Pg 1" and placed 30 objects into that page, then created "~ Pg 2" etc. What I really like is then you can just view your task list by category and expand or collapse pages as needed. It is also easy to transfer items between pages by just dragging and dropping. I already have the view formatted to strike through completed objects and all I need to do is create another category for dismissed items and format it so that it will change the font color to simulate a highlighter. I am also a long time Palm user and I use Beyond Contacts by Data Viz to get around the 15 category limit in the typical Palm software, so if I ever have to go beyond 15 pages there will be space to do it.

Thanks Mark for a wonderful system that really feels comfortable. I can't wait to see how it performs over time.
January 5, 2009 at 20:38 | Unregistered CommenterJason H
Hi Jason,

Thanks for that feedback, simple. I don't usually use categories for Outlook other than email and I use Priority as per TWC.

More food for thought. Mark, what have ye wrought??!!?? Possibly another practical approach!

R
January 5, 2009 at 21:42 | Unregistered CommenterRoger J
Like Jonathon I'm really enjoying going back to a notebook. It's so fast.
January 5, 2009 at 22:15 | Unregistered CommenterZane