To Think About . . .

Nothing is foolproof because fools are ingenious. Anon

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > MLO - Electronic option for Autofocus

MyLifeOrganised (MLO) is a Task Outliner that lends itself to the Autofocus approach. The new public beta version specifically is ideal due to the implementation of colour coding - which can be utilised to mark/highlight dismissed items.

Amongst the other features are customisable views - which can easily be created to view lists as pages - Page 1, Page 2, Page 3 etc. Views can also be enabled/disabled - so completed pages can be removed from the active view. Allowing focus on pages that are still outstanding.

Rapid Task Entry (RTE) available from the system tray allows you to add tasks to any portion of the outline - so is ideal to point at the last page and quickly enter new tasks without the need to change from your current page view.

Being an Outliner it gives you the flexibility to adapt for most different types of setup, a simple example being

Page 1
----Task 1
----Task 2
----Task 30

But if there is need to split things between home/work, separate entries can be stored in the same outline without issue -

Work
----Page 1
--------Task 1
--------Task 2
--------Task 30
----Page 2

Home
----Page 1
--------Task 1
----Page 2

Separate views can easily be created for home/work - MLO utilises contexts for grouping. So it is very easy to differentiate between home/work tasks and create the views to match.

The flat ToDo list approach of MLO ignores for the most part the outline structure. Meaning the Outline can be utilised from a purely organisational approach. As well as implementing Autofocus - it could also be used for storing other information that may not be part of Autofocus. Say for example Annual Reminders - the ability to create views means this information can be kept separate so as not to interfere with Autofocus but is still easily accessible at the same time.

Notes can be added to Tasks - which can include date/time stamps, links to URL's and links to files/applications.

MLO Hotkeys - is a free separate little program that adds extended hotkey functionality. So for example CTRL+Up/Down can easily move the pages forward and back.

MLO has an Autoarchive function that will archive complete items based on various different settings. So for example, complete pages could be archived after 60 days. The archive file is a separate file but is still easily accessible. But in this way the current MLO data file can be kept sleek and optimised.

MLO runs under Windows and Linux via Wine. It can run from a USB Flash Drive, has a Pocket PC version and allows for remote file synchronisation. There is a sensible licensing policy - if you purchase MLO you can run it on more than one machine if required. Home/Work as an example.

On top of all of this there is a development team that do actually listen to their users - which is something quite rare these days :). They are also quick to fix bugs and resolve issues.

For further details check out the Website,

http://www.mylifeorganized.net/

Just to point out I have no financial interest in this software at all. I am just an active user, I do voluntarily help to manage the MLO-Club discussion group which is a place where MLO users share examples of their Outlines.

Anyway if you want an electronic option for Autofocus MLO is worth a look. The active user community of MLO have already commented that MLO is an ideal tool for Autofocus.

All the best

Steve

January 9, 2009 at 13:49 | Unregistered CommenterSteve Wynn
I agree with Steve. I happened to be using MLO for my whole GTD collection (tasks, projects, someday/maybe, contexts).
I just added an !AF tag, and with Rapid Task Entry I added abt 50 tasks from scratch, to one AutoFocus placeholder. I use a list sorted by 'Date created', so the new items automatically go to the last page. Urgent items, if any, are marked as a 'goal', sorted (for now) to the very bottom of the last page.
After that, I added some 'active' items from my old GTD list (simply by adding the !AF tag).

Then I print out a paper list, and take that to work. I can choose landscape or portrait, with 2 different number of items per page. I let the done items stay, strike-through. When one page should be dismissed, I change the tag from !AF to AFDism (for example), and they are gone from the AF list, but I can find them easily for future reviews.

I intend to do the GTD review bi- or tri-weekly, to se if any more items from my huge list deserve the !AF tag, and then they are automatically added to the last page of my AF list.

When something is partly done, I use Ctrl-D to duplicate it, and mark the old one as done. The new one gets a newer creation date, and pops up at the bottom of the last page, as prescribed by AF.

In this way, I combine the GTD principle of having all input in a 'safe' storage - with the activity boosting of AF. Since I already was using MLO the step to include AF was very small.

There is some beta work going on that might improve the page setup in MLO, but for me it's not so important on which page a task is put. It is random anyway, when you work with AF, in which 'company' a task happens to be.

For me, this is starting to be 'the ideal' tool. I've got it at home, on my mobile phone, synced, and on paper at work (my choice, since it's easy to grab and work from, and take notes on, when you have so many disturbances all day).
When/if things calm down, I may switch from paper to do the list viewing, adding, on my work PC (or PocketPC).
It's no problem having MLO on a USB stick, for mobility.

I feel quite happy about using AutoFocus now, it makes sense, and more things get done. The 'problems' I had with urgents, projects, ideas, are covered in the background, with other tags in MLO.
I can recommend it!
January 20, 2009 at 21:39 | Unregistered CommenterJabbe
Hi Jabbe

Glad AF is settling down for you now - there'll be no stopping you .....
January 20, 2009 at 21:56 | Unregistered CommenterChristine B
Another long time MLO user here and nicely implemented AF with it. The transition from paper was sooner than I expected, partly because of Steve's post both here and the MLO group.. :) Set up is more like Steve's post, using page numbers as contexts or placeholders, and then cycling through them in the To-Do view page by page.

I have 27 tasks per page, and completing them reduces the tasks in view in a page, an additional motivational boost. Once a page is inactive (happy to say 3 pages are already), I remove its context, thus only active pages will show. Some additional features like strikethrough were recently implemented, just in time for the AF Beta, so I'm a happy camper.

Additional contexts serve to isolate home tasks from office tasks where required, and rapid task entries to add stuff to the last page as they pop up.

I'm not using any of the other MLO features to bump up the importance of a task though, relying instead on the "standout" principle to guide me.
January 21, 2009 at 1:55 | Unregistered CommenterJD
Some words on my use of MLO again. I tried the paper version of AF, but it meant too many operations for me to handle, taking notes on paper, entering in the PC.
Now I'm back to only MLO in the computer. I still have one long list of AF items, some done and struck-out, many waiting to be done.

I have a very simple setup: I show to To-Do list in MLO from the top. Then I simply make a shorter window, so I can see as many rows as I want to, e.g. 25 (full screen gives 48,and that's too much for me). Then I simply use PgDn, Ctrl-Home, to go through the pages (and Ctrl-End if I quickly want to see the last page). I stay on one page until I'm done, maybe duplicating some half-done items, so they pop-up at the bottom of my list as a new line. Then PgDn to start working with the next page.

I let the cursor rest on the item I'm working on, so it stays 'blue=active' when I come back into MLO again, so I always know where I am in the list.

Sorry if it is too many details about MLO, but for me it really serves as a perfect container for all my ideas, project details, someday/maybe, in total over 800 items. I know I have them there if/when I want to pick up some new project.

I started fresh with AF, and so far I have about 80 lines with the !AF tag, for work alone (33 done!).
January 23, 2009 at 19:05 | Unregistered CommenterJabbe
Very interesting threads in this post! I tried MLO more than two years ago when I was trying to GTD with GTD. I found it too cumbersome, maybe I was trying to do too much with it.

Encouraged by the posts here, I've downloaded the current evaluation version, not easy here in southern Zambia with its fragile Internet (the 3 Mb file took nearly 20 minutes to download).

I've set up AF in similar lines to Steve & Co and entered all my tasks from my paper AF notebook., changing the font to 14 in deference to my aging eyes. I like the fact that deferring a task to do later (because some I cannot do until I return home next month) removes it from the To Do tab view. I'd like to colour code some tasks eg yellow for Deferred to do Later, orange or pink for Dismissed for Review. I've been using this approach successfully in my manual AF system to date. How do i do this?

Also, I'm not sure of how placeholders, contexts and tags are used within AF. I still like to use contexts, eg @ERRANDS so that I can see a view of stuff to do when I'm next in town.

I have to say of all the systems and techniques i've tried during my life, this AF is probably the best. However, although most of my work is on my notebook computer and I favour electronic solutions, i have a nagging feeling I may end up still with a manual book as the first point of entry. I've got used to my own marks and highlights and have no problem in isolating undone tasks, and getting the one to stand out.
January 24, 2009 at 11:36 | Unregistered CommenterRoger J
@Roger -- I've always used electronic systems (Outlook, RTM, Toodledo, others) but am doing AF totally on paper. I love it. You might consider giving it a try and see what you think. It's just so nice to have it all in one place -- in my cheap, simple notebook. I can review it anytime. I can take it shopping with me. Etc.

For errands, I just add it to the AF list. (E.g., "Truck needs oil change"). If it's simple ("Get olive oil"), I usually already have a separate running list for groceries, so I just add it to the grocery list, and add "Groceries" to the AF list.

You can experiment with this a bit and see what works. I've generally found that adding any "metadata" to the AF list (such as urgency, contexts, tags, special colors, etc.) just confuse the whole thing. If there's a deadline l put that at the end of the item, e.g. "Prepare presentation, due 1/31", but otherwise don't give it a special notation. I found that any kind of special notation threw a wrench into the "standing out" process.

Just some ideas, Your Mileage May Vary.

January 25, 2009 at 1:41 | Unregistered CommenterSeraphim
@Seraphim: I have been using AF in manual mode since 5 Jan and had developed my own modus operandi quite nicely. I also like the electronic method as it means I have a backup if I lose the manual book.
My MLO is very simple, but I like the contexts as it separates them nicely in the To Do view and the contexts give me focus. Because I cannot do many of my tasks where I am, and caanot be in two places at once, I find this helps. That said, my non-context group is the biggest and can be regarded still as classic" AF.
I also like to Defer To Do Later some items, especially those in another context eg Home Office, so I like the fact they don;t clutter up my lists.
This weekend I did a Visio diagram of my AF Hybrid and sent to someone else for critical comment. I might try and publish it on the forum next month when i get back to the UK.
I envisage using MLO along with other manual methods including a pocket notebook when I'm out and about, plus printing out MLO pages and taking them with the manual A5 book which i reckon will still be around. So I'm not going exclusively electronic, just working out what works for me and which retains the essential AF advantages.
January 26, 2009 at 12:07 | Unregistered CommenterRoger J
Excellent site www.markforster.net and I am really pleased to see you have what I am actually looking for here and this this post is exactly what I am interested in. It's taken me literally 3 hours and 26 minutes of searching the web to find you (just kidding!) so I shall be pleased to become a regular visitor :)
March 24, 2009 at 22:39 | Unregistered CommenterBiossyKnisp