To Think About . . .

Nothing is foolproof because fools are ingenious. Anon

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > AF NOTEBOOK IS LOST!

AF NOTEBOOK LOST

Due to an involuntary mistake, my wife left my AF notebook in a a closed place for all the weekend. I felt completely lost, no backup at all.

Fortunately the notebook was recover shortly, but the question is still there:

What happens if AF Notebook is lost in a definitive way?

Any suggestions?

Hugo
January 23, 2009 at 3:56 | Unregistered CommenterHugo
Since AF has you go through all of your tasks every time you use it, most tasks should be fairly ingrained and easily remembered as you build up a new one. Might be quite good to start afresh. A quick mindmap session might help you remember also.

Of course, if you have a digital notebook, backups are easily created with synchronization software and whatnot.
January 23, 2009 at 4:15 | Unregistered CommenterPeter
Added to Autofocus: Make photocopies of AF notebook! (tickler)

If that task ever stands out when I come across it, I guess I'll have a backup.

If I never get around to it, and it gets dismissed, but then I lose my notebook, I suppose I'd just start over, as Peter describes.

This is very interesting. If I had ever lost my "system" before, I think it would have made me very upset. But now, considering the possibility of losing my AF notebook, it would be inconvenient, certainly, but like Peter says, it wouldn't be a catastrophe.

To test this idea, do we have any volunteers to toss their AF notebook, and see how hard it is to start fresh? :-)
January 23, 2009 at 5:09 | Unregistered CommenterSeraphim
Peter,

Loosing my lists would be a catastrophe for me :

Most of my items are related to commitments I "contracted" with others.

How often I browse my list, how much ingrained are items in my head, I couldn't rely on my memory ! How stressfull would it be !

Playing digital, I end up with copies of my items in different folders, computers and even systems : even on Gmail (I post to myself, and send me carbon copies of the mails I send...)

I wonder, Peter, if your answer implies you never put in AF items which are time or commitments related ? (I already know that top priorities and urgencies are pushed out of AF to some planning system).
Then, AF list would only collect the unplanned, ie: personal reminders for self thoughts, personal projects, routine details ?

For me these make only a small subset (though important) of my todo items.

I feel ( when reading all the posts in this forum) many of us do not share the same philosophy about what to use AF for ?
Or is it just me ?
January 23, 2009 at 8:17 | Unregistered CommenterJacques Turbé
Hugo:

Just start the list again from the beginning with a few obvious items and add others as they come up or as you think of them. You will be surprised how little difference it makes.
January 23, 2009 at 14:45 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Jacques:

I myself put both personal projects/routines and work commitments on my list. However, losing my AF notebook(s) would not make much of a difference to me. I think I would do as Mark said: start off again with a few items and go on from there. Perhaps this is because I can "recover" all the commitments with other people and deadlines from my calendar, which is in a digital format, always backed-up. :)
January 23, 2009 at 15:08 | Unregistered CommenterNatalia
I restarted my lists a few times, and the vast majority of the items got written down without having to reference another list. I also have a bunch of recurring tasks that I keep forgetting to rewrite when I do them, but I always remember them during one of my scans of the list. I was surprised by how much I remembered.

So, don't panic if you lose your list. Just do what Mark says and start over.

January 23, 2009 at 15:25 | Unregistered CommenterBeth
That is why it is so properly called Autofocus. It comes form me, from my needs and commitments not from external pressures that other time management system generates. But in case you need more security, have a regular back up ( photocopies if it is a notebok).

January 23, 2009 at 15:45 | Unregistered CommenterSilvia
Hey Jacques,

I think more than any other list method, Auto Focus helps all tasks to be more easily remembered. Simply because you'll make a complete pass over all the tasks on a page each time (and repetition is obviously key to memory). In fact AF would correspond with most people's strategy of having to memorize any list: reading one item at a time over and over again. Even if your instant recall isn't so good, you'll have plenty of triggers in place to help you remember.

It would be interesting to do memory and brain research with AF usage, if it would show that using AF trains certain patterns and processes in the brain, with more connections being created, one would say you'd have a ton of memory connections to rely upon. Imagine having a 'hot' AF area in the brain!

Compare a London taxi cab driver. They have shown to have a larger hippocampus and have highly developed (cognitive) maps to navigate throughout the city. In pre-navigation gadget times especially, their brains were used to creating accurate maps/models. You can imagine that with the advent of navigation software, the brain no longer gets the command "I want to know how to get to every street". A cab driver who feels reliant on their navigation gadget would panic if their systems would fail. Even if they have all the streets somewhere in the back of their memory, they wouldn't be trained enough to recall the information.

Having said that, tasks and memory are an interesting thing.

I used to rely on just my memory to remember deadlines and appointments (this was still possible in school and early college days). I always remember the appointments that are really important. (It wouldn't work if all your appointments/commitments are bountiful and equally important) Even if I saw the date and time just once, it would remember without fail. Most brains are simply really good at this kind of selective memory. Isn't it amazing how good we are at forgetting though? I can't remember most tasks from days past.

To illustrate, at one point I had to acquire a pincode for my Creditcard from my bank. I had never need use of it, so I lost the code that came with it originally. Then when I had them resend the information, my bank said they would send me a new pin code, but for both of my bank cards. The other bank card is the one I used daily, with a pincode firmly rooted in my long term memory (you would say). But after receiving that letter, I couldn't recall the code for my other bank pass! It was like my subconscious had decided that it would be getting a new pincode so it 'severed' the memory of the old one, or so it seemed.

When I managed to get both pincodes back, of course I recognized the codes. What we forget is not the actual memory, but its the strength of the connection that makes recall quickly accessible. And the managing of those connections is done quite unconsciously! Having the intention to remember is key. If one's frame of mind is 'the list enables me not to have to remember', it's unlikely reading through your items will help create the strong connections for recall. That's why some unorthodox teachers actually disencourage note taking, because it can be the act of permission based, systemetized forgetting. ("since the paper remembers it for you").

To get back to the example of my pincode, it was evident I didn't lose the memory of the code, it was just the conscious route to retrieve the pincode had been disabled. This doesn't mean you can't retrieve the information altogether. You will just need to stimulate your subconscious to help you recall. This usually happens accidentally by triggering a memory closely connected to the item you forget. Much like seeing a person's face might help you remember a commitment.

That's why I mentioned mindmapping as a way to retrieve information. If your direct path to the memory has been blocked, you find another route, by triggering related memories that may have connections to the item. Of course, this is one of those things where you want to develop trust in your subconscious ability to manage information. Another thing that AF actually helps with!

Final note:

Let's say you really don't want to rely on your memory because you have really critical items on there and you want to stay paper based, I know of one option that doesn't require duplicate entry/copying:

Get a livescribe! This is a pen that can record your handwriting, works on paper, even records the audio as you write, linking it to where you were on the page! It also can upload your writing and audio to a pc.

Simply voice recording your tasks could work as a semi-convenient backup too.
January 23, 2009 at 17:40 | Unregistered CommenterPeter
I use my iPhone camera and Evernote to take a picture-note of my pages as a backup. Since Evernote exists in my cloud, I have access to my pages from any device plus, my paper pages are backed up. When I am without my paper pages, I have my iPhone to look at the photos of my pages. In addition, Evernote has an amazing optical reader/recognition and it can read my handwriting thus making my handwritten pages digitally searchable. I get the joy of paper combined with satisfying my obsession with tech.
January 23, 2009 at 18:51 | Unregistered CommenterStark
Thanks for this idea, Stark. Now I need to dedust my digital camera.

January 23, 2009 at 18:57 | Unregistered CommenterRainer
That is a great idea - using a digital camera as you can keep the copies and then delete them if you don't need them.
January 23, 2009 at 18:59 | Unregistered CommenterNick
You could also use a Livescribe notebook, which automatically makes a digital copy of your notes as you write them. If lost, you can print out the pages you need and get a new notebook.
January 23, 2009 at 19:03 | Unregistered CommenterAndrew
I lost my notebook last weekend! I think it's now buried under a pile of magazines but I can't be bothered to look for it. I started another notebook with no problem at all. If anything has been forgotten it can't have been that important. So far no one has mentioned a forgotten appointment or anything like that. I wouldn't worry about losing your notebook.
January 23, 2009 at 21:41 | Unregistered CommenterSandy
Love the idea of using a phone camera to record the pages! It would make them convenient to carry - perhaps this is the easiest digital solution for AF!
January 25, 2009 at 21:29 | Unregistered CommenterChristine B
To add to the excellent comments on memory, etc.

Memory works to the extent that you use it and rely on it. A simple experiment shows this: make a list of things to do, groceries to buy, etc. and then put it away and try to work without it. Odds are that you will manage to get a high percentage of those items done (bought) without reference to the list. (If you have any fears, check the list before you leave the store or periodically to see how well you have hit the mark.) What is key here is not to just hope you will remember, but to demand it of yourself and continually test and demand better.

And it is more than memory. I use an alarm to get up, but I almost never need it. Even if I set it for a quite different time, I'll wake up on my own about 5 minutes before the alarm goes off. I think that part of my ego is tied to my accurate sense of time so I demand that kind of performance. (As a child, I was perpetually in la-la land ... I did not get up on time, or arrive on time. I need to fix that and did. Once I did, I was quite proud of it and so raised the bar for myself. Now I'm used to hitting the mark with accuracy.)

An example of a simple exercise you an do is to give yourself the suggestion that your sense of time is highly accurate and that you will know when 30 seconds have passed. Then relax, close your eyes, and wait ... until you "feel something", then check your watch. You will be close, but not dead on. So tell yourself you can do better and try again. Repeat lots of times and you will develop a high degree of accuracy. Time sense seems to be deeply rooted within us. We seem to have internal biological clocks that are quite accurate. It pays to take advantage of that.

As to the subject of the thread ... YES. I used to obsess over old lists and try to be sure no precious thought ever got lost. Silly. If it popped up once, it will pop up again. You can test the theory, though. Just start a new list and compare it to your existing one. Odds are, not much will have been overlooked.
January 26, 2009 at 12:03 | Unregistered CommenterMike
Mike,

I would like to know how did you develop the sense of time as a child how did you fix the issue.

I am usually late. Time sense have three ways. There are days when I know exactly the hour. It should be about 2:27, for example. I know, but can't say why. There are other days when I am behind the clock all day long and those ( rare days) when I am ahead. So to say, it is 2:27 and I guess it is 2:05. Usually this happens when I did not rest enough. But those days when I think it is 2:42 and I find it is 2:27 are the best.

I was using Time Log from "Time Track" Alec Mac Guiness, a good book on time management. I stopped but have the idea to adapt time log to have it in AF list. Yesterday I behave like the charge, lsee the link, spent all day on the web, refused to look at AF. ( I think I was tired and should have rested)
"it will only take a minute . . . "
http://blogs.psychologytoday.com/blog/dont-delay/200803/ill-just-check-my-email-it-will-only-take-minute-0
http://blogs.psychologytoday.com/blog/don039t-delay/200901/a-recipe-happiness-or-procrastination
The author suggests a clock near the computer, I have lots of them. What so far worked best for me was the time log.

I agree with you, when I forget a list I can rememember a high percentage. I rarely forget the important things.
January 26, 2009 at 16:32 | Unregistered CommenterSilvia
Mike:

It's definitely true in my experience that if one starts a new list one very quickly includes everything that is of current relevance on it. In fact I'm beginning to think that this is an exercise that it might be worth doing regularly just in order to clear the dead wood out of one's list.
January 26, 2009 at 16:56 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Hi Mark,

Yeah, I could see this becoming a once a month or once a quarter kind of thing.
January 26, 2009 at 19:00 | Unregistered CommenterMike
Hi Silvia,

I wish I could tell you. I wish I could even remember exactly when the change occurred. I know that at some point time became important to me and before that, I was unaware of time.
January 26, 2009 at 19:14 | Unregistered CommenterMike
I just bought from an online store with <a href=http://www.flatrox.com/158-buy-online-laptops-notebooks>laptop keyboard</a> Have any of you heard of them?
http://www.flatrox.com/
March 19, 2009 at 13:02 | Unregistered Commenteragreesefatt
Hello each week end i make a weekly review (yes indeed it's GTD).

I just scan the left pages and keek it on a folder on my computer.

Then if this happen the only risk i may have is loosing one week of work

hope this help
March 19, 2009 at 17:20 | Unregistered CommenterJupiter
I was about to volunteer a suggestion of prematurely retiring a notebook in order to provoke massively larger rates of task dismissal, when I saw Mark F's thought on doing something equivalent regularly to get rid of dead wood.

In fact, I'm beginning to think that the trigger for such an action might be whenever you can't get through all the pages in whatever time makes you comfortable. Too many tasks to get through the list in two days? Dismiss the lot and start a new list. At least for a while, it will be shorter, and the important things will soon be on it. And you always have the old list if you do want to check you haven't forgotten anything.
March 20, 2009 at 0:21 | Unregistered CommenterDavid C
David,

Great idea ... BUT, I wonder if that is a symptom that should, as with physical symptoms, be attended to in order to discover what the underlying problem might be. Too much work? Why? Not saying "no" enough? Not getting enough done in a reasonable time? Maybe distracted? Maybe not efficient enough? Why? Not happy with the job? Time for a change? Etc.
March 20, 2009 at 10:19 | Unregistered CommenterMike
I agree with Mike - if you look at my stats on the Stats thread you will see I have (or had then) 48 Active Pages and 535 Open Items. However I had cleared over 70% of my total items and I feel that is a pretty good position to be in. I know I have "too many" items to be ideal but had a backlog position and my discretionery time is more than a little erratic. I've tried lots of tweaks but find that doing AF according to the rules is what works - I now genuinely have little stress about what others would see as a very high number of pages and items. That post was yesterday morning and my stats have now changed to 46 Active Pages, and 533 Open Items despite adding 45 new items yesterday.

Mike's points about about identifying the underlying reasons for apparent overload. I know the reasons for mine - they are not going to spontaneously disappear regardless of whatever system I am using but with AF I am very confident that they will in time be under control.

Hope that helps ..... :-)
March 20, 2009 at 11:30 | Unregistered CommenterChristine B
I actually left my original AF notebook at home when I went on a trip to Belgium, so I didn't have it for a little over a week. It turns out that--as some folks have suggested--I was able to reconstruct the majority of the information just from having looked at it so frequently...

That's one reason I'm a fan of _really_ nice notebooks: I learned a long time ago that, which I'll lose approximately five disposable pens a day wtihout thinking too much about it, I'll remember not to leave an expensive pen someplace. It pays for itself over time...
March 20, 2009 at 13:20 | Unregistered CommenterLefty
Christine - I'd be interested to know how your number of open tasks has changed over time. Is it growing / shrinking / steady?
March 20, 2009 at 17:22 | Unregistered CommenterSeraphim
Hi Seraphim

Initially I was keeping pretty basic statistics, just number of open items at the end of the day. After 1 week of using AF I had 276 Open items which grew to 350 over the next week or so. It continued to grow 'til it hit a peak at 662 and is now shrinking. I started keeping more detailed statistics from 23 February which shows the impact when I have dumped a lot of items in one go, and also in days where discretionery time has varied. I would say it is fairly consistent around the 500 mark but I am now really starting to see the impact on some of my backlogs so expect that number to decline more steadily. Given the way I work AF and that fact that I dump virtually anything and everything into it I would be happy with a figure of around 300 - I feel that too few items would restrict choice.

The most important statistic to me is %percentage completed - whilst I have over 70% completed I am very happy!
March 20, 2009 at 18:00 | Unregistered CommenterChristine B