To Think About . . .

Nothing is foolproof because fools are ingenious. Anon

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > The number one procrastinator!

Here I am, trying to work really hard going through my AF list, but my top procrastinator just keeps rearing its head.

Yes, it's the Mark Forster discussion forum... I can't keep away from it, it's too addictive... help!
February 12, 2009 at 16:07 | Unregistered CommenterJason
Try replying to your own posts ;-)
February 12, 2009 at 16:16 | Unregistered CommenterKevin Geoghegan
Kevin, it's not helping!!
I have the same issue Jason, maybe a separate area of AFA - Autofocus Anonymous would help. I admit I got a lot more done in the days I didn't go on the forum at all (the first 6 weeks), but I missed a couple of Mark's clarifications. I'm going to have to white-knuckle this one I think.
March 20, 2009 at 13:10 | Unregistered CommenterJacqueline
I am reading this forum. But I feel OK about it because I didn't look at this forum UNTIL I got to my last page. Then I wrote "MF.net" on the last line of my last page. Then I looked at the forum. When I am done, I will mark the item as done and, perhaps, re-enter it.

To me, this is the real beauty of AF. Now I can do guilt-free web-surfing.

I am serious. If I demand that I never goof off, I will get less done than if I give myself permission to goof off. AF almost demands that I goof off.

Neil Fiore's book The Now Habit had an Unschedule, where you blocked off times when work was forbidden. It was a clever idea, but I was unable to use it successfully.

As I see it, AF is, first and foremost, a motivational tool. What I mean by this is that an AFer is more likely than a non-AFer to do the things that she thinks are important to her from a long-term perspective.

One of the key reasons that AF gets me more motivated than GTD or DIT is that there are rewards in my AF list (in addition to the reward of marking an item or page completed).

The great thing about AF is that the rules require that I put web-surfing on the list. The more I procrastinate, the more I advance on those monstrously, hideous, resistance-inducing tasks.
March 20, 2009 at 16:03 | Unregistered Commentermoises
Jacqueline

I put "check forum" as a task but I also have "coffee" as a task. When I stop for a coffeee break I give myself permission to check the forum. I also check it first thing in the morning - which helps me to wake up :-) - and late in the evening - which keeps me awake :-(
March 20, 2009 at 17:37 | Unregistered CommenterChristine B