To Think About . . .

Nothing is foolproof because fools are ingenious. Anon

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > Working on group tasks

Hi,
I'm going to facilitate a group and I got the idea to do it AF style. They have a long list of stuff, so I would put all items on a large sheet and hang it on the wall. The participants pick a task and start working on it. And here are my questions
- How to pick a task? Pick the one that gets the most votes? Or shall we strive for a group agreement? Or go with the task picked by the fastest member? Or...
- When to stop? When the first member is running out of oomph? Or when the majority feels like doing so? Or...

Any suggestions? Has anyone tried AF in a group setting?
February 22, 2009 at 16:18 | Unregistered CommenterAdam
Adam:

Interesting idea - I'd love to hear how you get on with it.

Research has shown that you get the best decisions in a group context if everyone votes without knowing what the others have voted for. So you best procedure might be to give everyone a personal copy of the sheet and ask them to go down it and see which item stands out for them, then take the vote.

As for stopping, I suggest you give each member some form of marker by which they can indicate when they feel they've done enough. Once a majority of markers are showing, then stop.
February 23, 2009 at 10:48 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Mark, thank you for your ideas. I didn't know about the research findings you mentioned, sounds promising. I'll let you know how it worked.
February 23, 2009 at 13:15 | Unregistered CommenterAdam
I realized what I was looking for was how to have a meeting in AF style. I blogged about my (very good) experiences how an AF-inspired approach could work in a meeting:

http://taskberry.com/2009/03/23/spinning-plates-meeting-method/
April 2, 2009 at 12:24 | Unregistered CommenterAdam