To Think About . . .

Nothing is foolproof because fools are ingenious. Anon

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > Time blocking for projects

Hi Folks,

AF is working so well for me now that I have gone to a standard, spiral-bound notebook. Working with paper is wonderful.

I would like to hear from Mark and others on what I am considering on doing in addition to AF. I see AF as what I can do in my discretionary time. But as I have posted on many occasions, I have several deadline-driven projects that usually have several tasks that have to be done by certain dates. I have entered tasks in AF like "work on project x", and that works very well in most cases. But with my very busy schedule, sometimes I am finding that it would be good if I simply blocked off time in my schedule for work on specific projects. I would not work from my AF lists, although most of the tasks would already be on there, but spend a block of time working through only tasks associated with that project.

What do you think about creating these project time blocks on my calendar?

Best regards,
-David
March 11, 2009 at 14:15 | Unregistered CommenterDavid Drake
Put hard deadlines in your diary and review the next week or so of deadlines each day, before you start Autofocus. I think that will be better than blocking off time (something I have tried to do, but other tasks already invade it or I lose focus).
March 11, 2009 at 14:35 | Unregistered CommenterDavid Barnes
Hi David,

Thanks for your advice. I am already doing that, but I am thinking that for specific projects that I know I need to spend time on -- and highly focused time -- having a block of time dedicated on my calendar might be helpful. Due to my role in administration, there are associates that have access to my Outlook calendar and meetings appear very frequently. If I protect the time, then perhaps it would foster work on the projects that need definitive focus.

-David
March 11, 2009 at 14:58 | Unregistered CommenterDavid Drake
Hi David (Drake)

I personally struggle with Time Blocks but suspect from your previous posts that they would fit very well with your way of working. I would assume that you probably have a clear idea of the steps needed for your projects - if you have those requirements in a list format, and they are not dependant, you can action them as mini AF lists within your time blocks. If you are able to focus in a time block then go for it!

Incidentally, when I do need to work in that way I can easily extract relevant tasks to produce a list from my OneNote AF. Let me know if you want more details on that process.
March 11, 2009 at 15:15 | Unregistered CommenterChristine B
Hi Christine B,

Yes -- I would love to hear about how you produce a list from your OneNote AF for focused project work in a time block.

-David
March 11, 2009 at 15:48 | Unregistered CommenterDavid Drake
Hi David

If you wish you can email me at mail@meovoto.co.uk and I'll gladly email you some screen prints with a description. If you'd prefer a forum post that's fine too :-)
March 11, 2009 at 15:55 | Unregistered CommenterChristine B
Hi David
All my life I've blocked time to devote to either a project or my studies or a chore set., practicing a skill, etc. It protects me from distractions and interuptions but mostly it engages my focus and determination. When I'm in these intense thinking, discovering, learning, creative modes, my entire focus is on it for that period of time to the exclusion of all else. And....*blush* ...if I'm on a great roll, I've been known to "shift my schedule" of lesser tasks/agendas to allow me more time to take advantage of the flow going. I block autofocus time as well! LOL! You're a professor......the students' schedules have their class times, lab times and study times as well as sports, music, art, art, social/family obligations, etc.....I totally agree with you. If it's important enough to you, it goes on the calendar! LOL! Currently I'm far less committed, but I was taught since I was a child...you don't find the time....you make the time! LOL!
I, personally, don't use autofocus for my projects of any sort, but many others do. I've always used calendar to both meet my obligations and to further my own interests and passions! LOL! It's within my calendar (which is only a method of handling time...it isn't time itself! LOL!) that I can find my passions and my freedoms. I don't know why it's been getting a bad rap lately....I'm not at all adverse to being flexible....I need that...but I also need to protect my obligations and pursuits from the onslaught of the rest of the world! *blush* What do you think?
learning as I go
March 12, 2009 at 12:09 | Unregistered Commenterlearning as I go
Hi learning as I go,

You make excellent points in your discussion as usual. I too believe it is important to block off time for specific projects. I do believe AF works well for your discretionary time. That is the key -- DISCRETIONARY TIME! If one wants to block off time in their busy calendar and just name it AF block time, that would work great. I do that if I have a week that is even more booked in meetings than my normal onslaught so I can protect what little "free" time I have available. I am now doing the same thing for specific projects that need highly focused time on my part.

Thanks for your comments and good advice. Take care.

-David
March 12, 2009 at 12:51 | Unregistered CommenterDavid Drake
Have you considered the Unschedule? (Now Habit by Dr Neil Fiore). It is basically a reverse schedule where you time block 24 hours a day but schedule leisure time, routine, meetings etc first. The only thing you don't really block time against is your AAA priority project, which you fit into the gaps on the schedule.

What I personally like about the Unschedule is it gives a true reflection of available time - with the priority and emphasis on leisure time first and foremost.

You log time against your AAA priority project only once you have completed a full 30 minutes of uninterrupted work. Keeping a running total of your achievements.

The Unschedule can accommodate AF or DIT without a problem and more importantly helps to establish working patterns/trends.

I know a lot of people may think scheduling 24 hours a day 7 days a week as overkill, but with the emphasis being on leisure and trying to achieve 'guilt free play' it is a surprisingly useful tool. Consciously or subconsciously I would image people schedule 24 hours anyway.

What the Unschedule gives you is a record/log and a realistic view of time as a whole. Compared to a normal schedule where only work time/project time is blocked. That gives the impression of more time being available than in reality. One meeting at 14:00 doesn't mean the rest of the day is free when you take into account, sleep, routine, travel, meals, leisure etc. Time is actually a scarce commodity when you look at in this manner - which overall I think helps you to place more value on the time you have available.

I think it is a great tool that can complement any base working system.
March 12, 2009 at 13:34 | Unregistered CommenterSteve Wynn
David:

My own experience of time blocking is that it's fine for one big project or possibly two, but you need to avoid time blocking more than that per day. The reason: because time blocking reduces your discretionary time, and your discretionary time is when you work on your AF list.
March 12, 2009 at 17:18 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Hi Mark
I may be incorrect, but I think David is referring to grant funded projects. Also, he's not merely a scientist/professor, he's HEAD of the department. The most imposing guillotine he seems to be concerned about is making sure that FUTURE grant monies go to HIS UNIVERSITY/DEPARTMENT as opposed to elsewhere.. Success isn't preferable, it's the lifeblood of his and his peers' careers................If that pressure was on me, that time would be blocked in STEEL! LOL! I wouldn't chance a system based on structured procrastination on those Red Phone obligations! LOL!
learning as I go
March 12, 2009 at 18:20 | Unregistered Commenterlearning as I go
p.s.
He says some of his grants are funded by NIH. I did lots of medical illustrations for NIH projects. A grant from NIH is a highly prestigious honor and a GREAT cash cow if you have their respect. Also........it can highly influence other sources of grant money to flow in your direction! LOL! I'm sure he has other prestigious grant sources..and they can be quite fickle..... All these years hence, it still remember the MD's and Ph.D.'s really feeling under the gun with their research projects. (I was staffed at the National Naval Medical Center's research department but I did lots of contract work at other research institutions, university hospitals, and private contracts.) Obtaining grant money is nothing short of cut-throat! LOL!
learning as I go
March 12, 2009 at 18:33 | Unregistered Commenterlearning as I go
@ David (Drake)

David, I am so pleased you are getting on well with AF now! I do block out a certain amount of time on alternate days for specific project work and find that it does enable me to then work through items that relate solely to it and ensure progress towards a deadline or important objective.

As with you the majority of the tasks are actually already in AF so I just look at the tasks I have associated with that scheduled time (I tag them) and do an AF on those items and work on what stands out for that particular project. I have found it works brilliantly for me. It complements the AF approach but allows me to ensure that I do have some clear time kept to move important items on in small steps. It has definitely demonstrated benefits in how those projects/tasks (in their macro sense) are progressing.

Hope that helps!
March 12, 2009 at 19:12 | Unregistered Commentertitch
Learning as you go:

If he's not going to trust the system then he'd be better off not using it at all.
March 12, 2009 at 19:20 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Gee, that was a bit snippy, Mark. No one was insinuating that I was not trusting AF. Learning as I go was simply stating that my kind of work sometimes is very deadline-driven and demanding...something that I have said all along.

I am taking your advice -- which is what I was doing already -- and scheduling maybe one major porject block per day -- and the remainder of my discretionary time is then dedicated to AF.

-David
March 12, 2009 at 20:23 | Unregistered CommenterDavid Drake
thank you, David. We're all simply trying to match the right tool for the particular job. I won't throw away my hammer because it can't saw wood.
learning as I go
March 12, 2009 at 22:05 | Unregistered Commenterlearning as I go
I find it /very/ helpful to block quality time for projects, and work mostly on whatever project 'stands out' at the time.

For problem solving I also 'chip' at them for short intervals during the day, as the 'little and often' approach helps here.

Also a bit of project work here and there helps relieve the boredom of any 'scutwork' :)

Pete.
March 12, 2009 at 23:58 | Unregistered Commentersmileypete
David:

Sorry if I sounded snippy. I was trying to be brief and concise in responding to Learning's remark:

"I wouldn't chance a system based on structured procrastination on those Red Phone obligations"

I wasn't saying that you weren't trusting the system. I was saying that *if* you didn't trust the system it would be better to abandon it altogether.

The point being that if one doesn't trust the system to deliver on time, then one is going to end up with all one's time blocked out and not enough discretionary time left in which to work the system properly. In which case it would be better to drop the system altogether because in those conditions it *won't* deliver.
March 13, 2009 at 11:48 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Hi Mark,

Thanks for your comments. You have really made me sit back and think about what system will ultimately work the best for my work schedule. I really do like AF and it is wonderful for folks that have a lot of discretionary time. Unfortunately, I do not fit into that category and I am finding it more difficult as the days go on to use AF properly. A slow day for me would be 4-5 meetings. As a result, I am finding I have to schedule more and more tasks and projects tightly to ensure that I am making enough progress on all of them. My considerable administrative responsibilities are only going to get worse over time with all of the wrenching budget issues all of us are facing.

So what am I saying? I may use some form of AF....I don't know. But I do know that I am going to have to move more towards a structured scheduling approach.

At any rate, I will hang out here some no matter what I do as this is nice therapy for me and a brief escape. I so much enjoy reading about what others are doing with AF.

Take care,
-David
March 13, 2009 at 13:20 | Unregistered CommenterDavid Drake
@David, i am Head of a small R&D department (only 13 team members), but i have to coordinate many projects, incidents, money, ressources, ...

Most of the time i have no discretionary time. This week every minute of my days have either been meetings, jobs to meet a deadline, or reactions to some near catastrophic events. Every day 10 to 12 hours work (plus commuting, trying to eat something)

My AF list has been growing since two weeks with no time to work on them. I was really frustrated.

Today i had one hour discretionary time. First i did not manage to open my AF list. But then i did, and boy am i glad i did! First of all i discovered that i already did some of the tasks on that list without checking them of. Free rewards ;-). Then i managed to work on some of those tasks, checked them of, and again that feeling of reward. I know without AF i wouldn't have worked on any of those tasks (using GTD before).

Today i found out, that AF is not my primary tool (that is my calendar), but that it is my most important tool. It manages to get things done that would otherwise not get any attention.

Now i feel ready for my weekend.

Steffen
March 13, 2009 at 19:01 | Unregistered CommenterSteffen
Hi Steffen,

I am glad this works for you and I am intrigued. Mark made it clear that for the system to really work the way it should one must have enough discretionary time to do so. I am like you in that because of my hectic schedule, too many tasks and projects have to be block scheduled for them to be done. Mark stated that this is not using AF the way it was intended.

I guess I am feeling that I will have to abandon AF if this is the case. I really did have the impression that it was working to a point, but then deadlines and time crunches have made me here recently resort to more scheduling of project time per my previous post.

Mark -- what do you think? What does a person like me and Steffen do? I am sure there are untold thousands more like us that do not have a lot of discretionary time.

-David
March 13, 2009 at 21:03 | Unregistered CommenterDavid Drake
Okay -- my post sounds exactly what Mark was trying to say -- perhaps I have not trusted the system in the manner that I should be doing so! I have been very productive with AF but still apparently have some issues with so many deadline-driven projects and tasks.

Advice from similarly-swamped folks out there?

-David
March 13, 2009 at 21:30 | Unregistered CommenterDavid Drake
Hi David

If I can add my twopence worth ..... :-)

there is no doubt that AF works in discretionery time but in my experience the system can and does work with erratic discretionery time - and with much smaller amounts of discretionery time than would be imagined.

Firstly, the system itself is very simple to maintain, and the addition of new tasks can be included within even the smallest amount of time. Even if you just have a short break between meetings you can add tasks, perhaps action a couple of phone calls, check email or this forum, or action a "Thinking Time" task. Each time you visit the forum you are using some form of discretionery time as are we all. That may be a few snatched minutes but it is enough to do something. By having AF as a tool in those situations you can therefore "achieve" in even the smallest of time slots.

Secondly, you need to find the way of using AF that works for you. It has taken you a degree of experimenting to find that "paper" AF is your tool of choice and over the past couple of weeks you have clearly found that to work well. Whatever amounts of discretionery time you have used it in you have found it to work - don't give up on that benefit because you feel you are not able to spend as much discretionery time as others. We all have different time requirements but we also all have 24 hours per day - no more, no less. If I have 2 hours of discretionery time a day and someone else has 4 then our usage and perhaps rate of return may vary, but whatever discretionery time we have, and however minimal the length of those time blocks, the best tool for maximising output in those times is AF.

Thirdly, we all have different tasks, different styles of working, and different structure to our days. Where tasks require intensive periods the by all means schedule time accordingly - there is nothing to stop you creating and using task (project) specific AF lists for use in that time if that would be appropriate. Where you do not have pressing needs for action then schedule an AF time block as you have done previously.

Don't let yourself get thrown off track by feeling you are somehow doing it wrong if you do not have much time or need to schedule project time. I had some unexpected time today and have gotten through 10 pages of my list so far - and they were all pages that have been well visited previously so not easy pages. Unfortunately, after a particularly tiring week, my energy levels have been fairly low, so rather than giving up and doing nothing, I took regular breaks by visiting the forum which always helps keep my motivation high. Procrastination? Technically yes as on only one occasion was it on my active page, but as it is for me a specific way in which I use my shortest discretionery time periods anyway, I feel happy to use it as another tool in my Time Management toolkit, for use whenever needed.

Hope that helps a little David ........ :-)
March 13, 2009 at 22:01 | Unregistered CommenterChristine B
Hi Christine B,

Thanks so much! As always, your insights on AF are remarkable. Christine, you are the best. You are primarily the reason I am staying with AF because of your caring and responding to concerns of very tired and stressed people like me.

Well, of course...I really do like AF too...but was feeling like I was an outlier. You have recharged me to forage ahead!

-David
March 13, 2009 at 22:24 | Unregistered CommenterDavid Drake
Thank you for your kind comments David - I'm glad my posts have been of help to you. I like AF too!
March 13, 2009 at 22:58 | Unregistered CommenterChristine B
Hi Christine
Ditto to David's sentiments. I can't remember the threads, but you and Jacqueline helped me to find where AF does for me and how to implement it according to my needs and proclivities. *blush* I block AF time for those things that aren't timebound, already habituated, needing or desiring focused attention and determination for a stretch of time. I actually look forward to my little AF time blocks. It's actually rather fun and useful ....I look forward to it either as a break from an intense period of focus or from a pain bout. These are the niggling little things that help to keep things ship shape yet don't require systematic routines. True, it's NOT pure AF at all. Rather it's another useful tool I use to conduct my life as best as I can. I do not mean to offend anybody but I always need to experiment and then draw my own conclusions. *blush*....After all, if it works differently for me, where's the harm. I thank you for the encouragement to find my own usefulness and my own best practices. As David expressed....Outlier......ouch! Like David (and I suspect many others as well), I simply want to reap the benefits of implementing AF in a manner than complements my personality and needs. Where's the harm?
Thanks, Christine
learning as I go
p.s.
Thank you, David.....Sometimes a bit of support from a respected source allows me to "walk the road less traveled" with less trepidation.
learning as I go
March 14, 2009 at 0:27 | Unregistered Commenterlearning as I go
Hi David
I wish you much success with all your endeavors as well as your new foray into the implementation of AF a la David...LOL! Please give us an update! I find it rather useful and fun for what I've assigned it to do.
learning as I go
March 14, 2009 at 0:37 | Unregistered Commenterlearning as I go
Hi learning as I go,

Thanks for your nice comments. I AM sticking with Autofocus!! I love the almost no overhead and it has allowed me to be very productive. Adding in a few time blocks for dedicated project work here and there and I should be fine. Today was just my day to whine -- am very tired and stressed. But will be fine!

Take care,
-David
March 14, 2009 at 2:00 | Unregistered CommenterDavid Drake
Hi David
I didn't note any whining from you at all. In fact, quite to the contrary!.....jYou intelligently posted your concerns, inquiries and intents to effectively set the stage for both incoming advice and possible brainstorming. I'm confident that you'll do well with it! I might be more inclined to test it in a more liberal sense if I didn't have my certain limitation....but, then again, I'd probably just keep on doing things the way I used to. Talk about whining....I can be positively awful with cursing my situation! LOL! I think we all need the cleansing effect....even though I maintain that I didn't detect any whining from you at all.
My fingers are crossed for your success!
learning as I go
March 14, 2009 at 2:12 | Unregistered Commenterlearning as I go
p.s.
David....are you going to use autofocus for EVERYTHING outside of appointments/meetingsand focused project session blocks? Whoop, whoop, whoop...you have indeed captured my interest!!!!.....please do post a follow-up analysis!
learning as I go
March 14, 2009 at 2:27 | Unregistered Commenterlearning as I go
@Christine B.

"Firstly, the system itself is very simple to maintain".

THAT is it. I could not tell why AF is working for me, but that is the point. I have my AF list with me in every meeting, putting things not strictly related to one of my projects (there are always lot of sidetracks) on the list. And because there is no weekly review, no reordering, no extra planning, no extra burden, AF works if you have very little time.

So, David, maybe AF is especially well suited for people with a tight schedule?

Maybe i might also answer Learning as i go's question. I am using AF for everything that has no deadline. On the job and for everything private.

My private AF list is full with actions for our next vacation, the birthday party of my daughter (there is a deadline, but it is two weeks ahead and i have enough discretionary private time to trust AF with that), stuff like that.

On my job i am using three 'tools'. First my calendar. Second a reminder tool (OneAlert) for things that can only be done at a certain time, like a call to a client, and for follow-ups. Third AF for the rest. So i guess i have planned tasks, triggered tasks, and tasks where i am in control of when they are done.

Steffen
March 14, 2009 at 12:58 | Unregistered CommenterSteffen
Hi Steffen

AF's simplicity is so refreshing - we have enough to think about without having to plan how or where to write down items on a list :-)
March 14, 2009 at 13:44 | Unregistered CommenterChristine B
Hi Steffen,

I am intrigued by your comment: "I have my AF list with me in every meeting, putting things not strictly related to one of my projects (there are always lot of sidetracks) on the list". SO do you mean you do NOT put all project-related tasks in AF? If not, how do you track all of these? Maybe I am misinterpreting what you said...so please educate me!

Mark...you have been mysteriously quiet here. I see this as a good thing for you to comment on because there are so many people in business and academia like me that have very heavy schedules. Perhaps you could dedicate a new post with instructions on how to best use AF for exceedingly busy people?

-David
March 14, 2009 at 18:54 | Unregistered CommenterDavid Drake
Some comments:

Mark Forster wrote:

"My own experience of time blocking is that it's fine for one big project or possibly two, but you need to avoid time blocking more than that per day. The reason: because time blocking reduces your discretionary time, and your discretionary time is when you work on your AF list."

I do use time blocking for the "one or big project or possible two."

AND, I also use time blocking as a calendar-focusing-scheduling aid. For example, on Mondays my calendar will show the two classes I teach time-blocked from 8:30 AM to 11:30 and again from 2:30 to 5:30. 11:30 to 2:30 may be time blocked "Studio" both as a reminder to me that my goal is to accomplish some studio work during this period and also as an aid to scheduling, so that if I do schedule an appointment during this time period I'll know WHERE to schedule it. Similarly, Tuesday may have 8 AM to 5 PM time-blocked as Studio, and then other scheduled tasks may appear, but I know that I intend my overall focus that day to be on my studio projects as much as possible.

Even if I am working on a time-blocked project, I still have a coming in for alanding routine: make coffee, find the right music(!) and check my AF list.

Christine B wrote:

"So, David, maybe AF is especially well suited for people with a tight schedule?"

I wonder? I really don't know. Some days I have a tight schedule, most days I have tons of "discretionary time." But that doesn't mean I don't have obligations, to myself and others. My experience is that AF can work with both.

learning as I go wrote:

"David....are you going to use autofocus for EVERYTHING outside of appointments/meetingsand focused project session blocks? Whoop, whoop, whoop...you have indeed captured my interest!!!!.....please do post a follow-up analysis!"

I do this. I do like to keep things simple, so one AF list and one calendar are plenty for me.
March 14, 2009 at 19:17 | Unregistered CommenterLiz I.
David asked Steffen: "SO do you mean you do NOT put all project-related tasks in AF? If not, how do you track all of these?"

Maybe Steffen will answer differently, but I thought I'd take a stab at it.

I do the same thing -- add my action items during meetings, directly into AF.

But if the actions are part of some larger project, then I'll probably put them into the project folder. Maybe I'll add it to AF also, but usually just the project folder.

All my active projects already have an entry in AF: "Work on Project X" or "Clear emails for Project Y" or whatever.

If I'm not sure if the project is already in AF, or I want to give it a bit more emphasis, then I'll just add the "Work on Project X" again to AF, as I put the action item into the Project X folder.

Folders in this case can be virtual (on disk, or in Outlook) or physical (on shelf or in filing cabinet). I've developed a little shorthand nomenclature to help me remember which is which. If it's in Outlook, I write it in brackets, e.g. "[In box]" means "Clear Outlook in box". If it's in Gmail, I write "@In box". Etc.
March 14, 2009 at 20:14 | Unregistered CommenterSeraphim
Hi Seraphim,

Thanks for your response. This is quite an intriguing approach and one I think I might try! I was putting ALL of my project tasks directly into AF. Keeping a separate project file (I think I would use Outlook 2007 for this -- or OneNote 2007 -- for all major projects -- and add the tasks into there). I would then add the statements as you described: "work on project x" into AF.

Hmmm...sounds intriguing. Thanks again for your answer.

Best wishes,
-David
March 14, 2009 at 20:43 | Unregistered CommenterDavid Drake
David,

You'll probably wind up using a mix of things and that seems to be what works best ... at least for me.

I do my planning on the computer (usually OneNOte these days, but it has been other things including Word Documents). I will plan to whatever level I am comfortable with. Then I will EITHER put the next task or just "Work on X" on AF. It just depends on ... well, I don't know what it depends on. Something just decides for me.

Here is an example. For building my deck I planned it all on the computer. If I were doing it today, I'd put "Work on Deck" most times, but I'd probably put "Buy Lumber at Lowes" for that step. Something about that seems to me to want to be listed on the AF list, but I would not put down: "Sand Deck" ... I'd just pick up that task when I saw "Work on deck" ... I'd just kind of know that the next task to be done was to sand it. It is one of those intuitive decisions Mark likes to talk about ;-)
March 14, 2009 at 22:03 | Unregistered CommenterMike
Thanks, Mike for your response. I guess I an getting somewhat confused about how much of a project is supposed to go in AF. In DIT, Mark said that projects should be planned outside of DIT but that all tasks that are active and on your plate should be in the DIT list. So what is different about AF?

-David
March 14, 2009 at 23:40 | Unregistered CommenterDavid Drake
I agree with Mike. It can vary, from day to day, from task to task, and from project to project. Sometimes it's a mixture.

E.g., sometimes I have an ongoing project, with several AF entries "Work on Project A", and an Outlook folder with several tasks to accomplish, several emails that require action, several follow-ups with other people. I work on it a bit, whenever "Work on Project A" stands out on my Autofocus list.

But then there comes some new urgent task that's part of Project A. I put it into the "Project A" folder, as usual, but I also list it as a separate task into Autofocus, since it's urgent and needs special attention. I might write something like "Be sure to do NNN for Project A, due Monday!"

AF is so flexible, it works so intuitively, that this kind of thing is easy. Just try it several ways and see what works best for you.
March 15, 2009 at 4:57 | Unregistered CommenterSeraphim
Hi David,

With respect, what is different about AF is that it is not DIT. Mark has made the point several times that AF is not any system but its own and it does not help to compare it with other systems. It is best to just follow the rules and see how it works for you and decide if you want to use it based on that.
March 15, 2009 at 8:48 | Unregistered CommenterMike
Hello David,

my statement was imprecise. I think i have to describe my work environment in a bit more detail first. My team and me are working on 4 long term projects. We also have to support the production departments, sales and others when they need our qualification. This is one half of my work (half engineer, half project manager). The other half is administration (money, people) and projects in administration (establish a new process, rework the standard form for monthly spendings, try to get a budget for something, ...).

I put everything regarding to our long term projects in 'project folders', just like Seraphim. These folders are called backlogs and are shared by everybody on the team. Most of the time, new actions for those backlog have their origin in a call, an email or e meeting. I can enter them directly into the backlogs. When there is no opportunity for entering them into the backlogs, i put an action into AF ("enter list from meeting minutes into backlog"). I do not have entries in my AF list of the kind "work on project x", because my part of the work is mostly scheduled (daily review, weekly review, design meetings, etc.).

Our support jobs are short term jobs, ranging from 1 hour to a few days. I put those action onto my AF list ("tell Joel to call sales. They need help with ...", "research if production can do X instead of Y without sacrificing stability").

All actions for my administrative work are on my AF list, even if they are part of a personal project.

So, the short answer is: actions for personal projects and actions that are not part of a project are on my AF list. Actions for shared projects are on project folders.

Steffen

March 15, 2009 at 10:06 | Unregistered CommenterSteffen
Second thought:

for personal projects i do not need a special project folder, because they do not have a complicated structure. I know what status they have without consulting a project backlog. If i ever have a complicated personal project, it will make a list of goals for that project to track status, but no special action list. The actions will be on my AF list.

Yes, i think this is my way to distinguish what goes where: personal vs. shared, goal vs. action. Personal (does not mean private) actions on my AF list, the rest on other lists.

Steffen
March 15, 2009 at 10:14 | Unregistered CommenterSteffen
David:

My "mysterious silence" was due to taking one day off - and look how many comments there are to reply to even just on this one thread. <wry grin>

You asked me to let you have my thoughts on how AF works for exceedingly busy people. Well, here's a thought - we are all equally busy!

What I mean by that is that each one of us performs a sequence of actions throughout 24 hours every day. Those actions may be "Write funding report" or "Attend Meeting" or "Watch TV mindlessly" or "Sleep" but we all, whatever our circumstances, simply carry out a sequence of actions throughout the day.

So the question is not really how busy we are but what the actions are that we do. Here again it's simple. If your are using AF you write down the actions you need or wish to do. The actions again may be "Write funding report" or "Watch TV", but the sum of all the actions we perform, on or off-list, is still going to come to 24-hours. You're not really any busier than I am. Your work may be more significant than mine, but we both do 24-hours worth of actions a day.

Your real problem therefore isn't really how busy you are. It's your lack of choice. If you want to have more control of your work, then you need to increase the amount of choice you have over what you are doing at any particular time.

I'd like to write a bit more about this. But I have to pick up my daughter from the airport now. She's coming back from NZ for three weeks - last time I saw her was a year and one week ago.
March 15, 2009 at 14:50 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Hi Mark,

I hope you have a good time with your daughter!

I do disagree, however, with your explanation that we are all "equally busy". Saying that someone who watches TV or whatever and they are as busy within a 24 hour period as I am is frankly insulting. I understand fully what you are trying to say, but please do not compare my level of responsibilities, trying to manage so much with so many deadlines, as someone who puts things like watch TV on their AF list. This really is not helpful to me.

Now, with that said, I really do see the simplicity of what you are trying to say. But I was hoping for more from you.

But I will continue to explore on my own the best ways to integrate AF with project management and multiple deadlines.

-David
March 15, 2009 at 16:57 | Unregistered CommenterDavid Drake
Thanks Seraphim, Mike, and Steffen. Your advice is VERY helpful. But I do have one question. By maintaining a separate list of tasks to do OUTSIDE of AF creates two systems to maintain. So if I am doing AF in a paper notebook and project task management in Outlook, then I have two places to check and see what is on my plate. Does this not detract somewhat from the simplicity of maintaining one system?

-David
March 15, 2009 at 17:10 | Unregistered CommenterDavid Drake
David,

Is having a separate list of project-specific tasks in Outlook any different than a home vs work list or a shopping list or errand list etc? Don't forget you're not duplicating the items in both lists. (At least, I don't think you'd want to.) If you time block, then you may not even need a 'work on project x" on the AF list because it's on the calendar.

I don't normally timeblock for projects, but this past week at work there were a higher than usual number of "drop everything and do this now" items which effectively timeblocked most of my day. I just closed the AF book and did the 'drop everything' tasks until they were resolved or became someone else's 'drop everything' task. I did read through the AF list when I had a spare minute (in some cases I was on a conference call at my desk) just to be sure I wasn't overlooking something that could escalate if it didn't get done sometime that day. Those tasks I squeezed in when I could. Not pure AF by any means, but as a control measure it seems to work well.

And just curious,(and at the risk of stating the obvious) assuming you work 40-50 hours a week, do you have 40-50 hours of tasks/meetings/etc or is it more than that? I get the impression that you have more to-do's than time, discretionary or not, to do it in. That may be a bigger problem than keeping AF vs Outlook lists
March 15, 2009 at 19:07 | Unregistered CommenterLillian
Hi Lillian,

My typical work week is more 65+ hours. I have multiple levels of responsibilties. Enough said.

Thanks for your comments and advice.

-David
March 15, 2009 at 20:40 | Unregistered CommenterDavid Drake
David:

If you check what I said again you will find that I didn't say anything about your level of responsibility or the number of deadlines you have to manage.

What I was talking about was your degree of "busy-ness", and I was making the point that however many or few responsibilities one has, we are all alike filling 24 hours with a series of actions.

If one multiplies the number of actions we take during 24 hours by the average amount of time which we spend on each action, the total for every single one of us comes to 24-hours. This applies whether we are a Head of Department, a retired person, a street sweeper, a lay-about or a pre-schooler.

The difference between these various people is not the number and duration of actions, but the content of those actions. The Head of Department is doing a very different set of things from the lay-about. Yet he or she still has only 24-hours worth of tasks that they can accomplish in a day.

So what is the difference from the point of view of planning one's time between the Head of Department and the lay-about?

The answer is the word "Choice". The Head of Department actually has far less choice than the lay-about, who has no responsibilities (that they are prepared to acknowledge anyway) and no deadlines. The Head of Department has a full schedule and innumerable deadlines and responsibilities. These all restrict the amount of choice that he or she has over how they use their allocated 24-hours a day.

As I have said many times on this forum, if you have no choice about what you do then you don't need a time management system - you just do it. If you have a schedule which is completely full of meetings and appointments, then all you have to do is go from one meeting or appointment to the next.

However you are not quite in this situation. What you describe as your situation is that you have a very large amount of scheduled time over which you have no choice. Plus an inadequate amount of unscheduled time in which to fit in all the deadlines and responsibilities.

Some of these deadlines and responsibilities you simply have no choice about at all. So there remains an even smaller amount of time in which to fit in everything else.

Guess what? There is no time management system in existence which can succeed in fitting a quart into a pint pot. GED won't do it, DIT won't do it, AF won't do it. Nor will any combination of them. You've already discovered this.

So we have to go back to this word "choice" again. You have to increase the amount of time over which you are exercising choice.

To do this, you need to acknowledge that your current situation of "little or no choice" is actually something you have chosen.

You chose to arrange the meetings
You chose to go to them
You chose the other items in your schedule
You chose your responsibilities
You chose which interruptions to allow
etc. etc.

Now please don't misunderstand me. I'm not saying those choices were wrong, or even that they weren't necessary. I'm just saying that you need to re-establish in your mind that they were your choice - the sort of choices which it is the responsibility of a Head of Department to make. And if they were your choices, then you can make further choices about them.

And that therefore the fact that you have a totally inadequate amount of time to deal with everything that isn't absolutely essential is also your choice - and you can chose to do something about it.

The more choice you can re-establish at the level of your working day, the more AF will be able to help you.

I don't really have any answer other than that.
March 15, 2009 at 21:00 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Thanks for your good advice, Mark. I do greatly appreciate it. Of course you are correct about the whole issue of choice and what I have on my plate. Most just comes with the job so to speak, but again, that is my choice. Enough said. I will quite my whining and just make things work.

But do you see any problem with maintaining a separate project list of tasks -- none of which is on my AF list -- and then per the good advice from others here -- add a task in AF like "work on project x"? When I did DIT, I had all of my active project tasks in the system and therefore they were not separate.

Just curious. Thanks again.

-David
March 15, 2009 at 21:37 | Unregistered CommenterDavid Drake
I do apologize, Mark, for my abruptness before. I have had two very bad weeks and I guess the stress and exhaustion have made me just a tad bit cranky. I feel like running off to a south Pacific tropical island....smiles.

Mark, you are the best. I do hope you have a wonderful visit with your daughter.

Best wishes,
-David
March 15, 2009 at 22:15 | Unregistered CommenterDavid Drake