To Think About . . .

Nothing is foolproof because fools are ingenious. Anon

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > Searching forward for completed tasks

I am curious as to your practice in regard to marking off completed tasks from an AF page that you aren't currently working on. For instance, I may be writing a letter in a particular file, upon completion, I know that I have a similar letter to write in another file and since the wordprocessor is warmed up and I have the stamps out, I go ahead and batch the tasks and write the second letter. Of course, I cross off "write letter #1" on the AF page I am working from. Typically, I will also flip through my AF notebook until I find the entry for "write letter #2" and cross it off as well. I would probably not cross it off if my entry is "work on file #2", however, knowing when I get to that AF page I have other tasks to do for file #2.
From other posts I get the idea that Christine would wait until she reaches the AF page that "write letter #2" is on and then cross it off. Is there a best practice?
March 16, 2009 at 20:14 | Unregistered CommenterAlan
I was going to post something similar. Many times I spontaneously do something that's forward on the list.
I have the same question. Should I look over the pages, not looking for something to do, but to cross off what I just did?

Thanks.
March 16, 2009 at 20:39 | Unregistered CommenterWalter
Personally, my method of using Autofocus includes putting duplicate tasks all over the place. Sometimes this is deliberate (such as "Check email"), sometimes it just happens that way because something is on my mind, and I can't remember whether I've already put it into the list, so I enter it again just to be sure.

So, I don't worry about hunting down the item to cross it off, if I've completed it "out of order". I'd spend all day hunting if I did that. I just cross them off as I come across them, as I cycle through the list. Much less overhead that way. It's also fun to come to a new page and realize that I already finished a handful of things that are listed there.
March 16, 2009 at 20:47 | Unregistered CommenterSeraphim
I started off searching for the tasks I'd completed but now I wait until I come to the page and if I've done the task that day I let it count toward my one item for the page (if necessary). That's an advantage for me of waiting. I do sometimes mark them when I'm reviewing tasks in the evening, however.
March 16, 2009 at 23:11 | Unregistered CommenterMel
I can't resist searching the list - to experience the joy of crossing off as my reward for task completion! but I can see that keeping a completed task 'in reserve' could be a useful trick!
March 16, 2009 at 23:19 | Unregistered CommenterJane P
I can't resist searching the list - to experience the joy of crossing off as my reward for task completion! but I can see that keeping a completed task 'in reserve' could be a useful trick!
Oops sorry about the three entries above - the screen kept telling me the post wasn't created!

PS. I don't write my tasks in triplicate too, honest!
March 16, 2009 at 23:23 | Unregistered CommenterJane P
Waiting for the task sounds fine.

Based on this, another question: If I find one these tasks, should it count as the minimum to move to another page without dismissing? In other words, could I skip the page without doing anything, but crossing the previously performed task?
March 17, 2009 at 8:56 | Unregistered CommenterWalter
Walter, that's one reason *why* I go looking for it and cross it off, I don't feel it counts as actioning the page. It feels too much like I'm just looking for that one item I don't mind doing rather than having something stand out if I'd skip the page. JMHO
March 17, 2009 at 11:45 | Unregistered CommenterJacqueline
If I come to a page with an item on it I've already done, I cross it out and count it as an action for that page. I may do additional items of course, but I don't dismiss the page.

If find this useful for errands and 'out' items. Things that are mostly likely to get done when I'm not siting somewhere with my AF notebook open in front of me.
March 17, 2009 at 13:40 | Unregistered CommenterErika
Jacqueline and Erika,

Reading your replies, both of them sound right to me.
I know I should use common sense and do what suits me, but sometimes I wish there were unequivocal answers for this type of questions.

March 17, 2009 at 14:08 | Unregistered CommenterWalter