To Think About . . .

Nothing is foolproof because fools are ingenious. Anon

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > Is AF mainly a psychological benefit?

Over on the Autofocus Ning group (http://autofocusgld.ning.com/), one of the questions when you sign up is: "What has Autofocus done for you?"

Most people answer with something about how good and productive AF has made them feel. Rarely do people mention any specific work they have got done, projects they have completed, or tangible result in terms of output.

I am sure that this is mainly because it is not easy to measure increased output in the short term, but I'm curious -- what specific increased output have you seen since you started AF?
March 24, 2009 at 11:21 | Unregistered CommenterDavid Barnes
I (almost) stopped procrastination.

Sure it's psychological. AF is, on some level, a kind of game you play with yourself to trick you to work - miraculously in a way that you have the impression to do what you like almost the whole day. What else could you want? :-)
March 24, 2009 at 17:30 | Unregistered CommenterAndreasE
Hi David

The major benefit has certainly been due to the way in which AF "frees the mind" to see what is important and to identify best ways of doing things but the proof of that has to be in results.

Since starting AF I have redesigned my email processes, cleared a massive email backlog, and for the first time in years feel in control of my email. I have set up a new system for my finances, so that I will not have the last minute Tax Return nightmares next year - and I delivered this year's return on time with no stress. I've sorted a lot of issues surrounding my parents' care needs, and identified better ways of handling their ongoing needs. I've significantly reduced backlogs in other areas, redesigned systems, and am getting my project management system under real control. I've learnt how to participate in a Discussion Forum! I've got my diary system streamlined, my contact management system is being updated, my website is being addressed ....... oh, and I've cleaned the oven - twice!

So yes it is psychological but it is the acting upon those psychological benefits that results in the real achievements.
March 24, 2009 at 18:21 | Unregistered CommenterChristine B
I started and am working on an entire home renovation project which had been lying dormant for 4 1/2 years prior to AF due to overwhelm at the enormity of it. It's not moving as fast as I would like, but as fast as I am able to, which is good enough.

What's done in 2 1/2 months?

Large office bookshelves painted, new dishwasher and toilets installed, new garage door opener installed (ok, it's not working properly yet - but it's on the list!), carpets removed from 1/2 the house, several rooms painted, casings and baseboards removed from 3 rooms, popcorn ceiling removed from 1 large room (that's an ugly job!).

Other things accomplished at home include about 20 trunk loads of donated stuff (one or more a week!) taken to goodwill, a bunch of stuff disposed of on freecycle, a somewhat neater home (especially considering we're renovating), taxes done and ready to push the button to file online and a whole raft of other little projects too numerous to mention. Two weekends out of town and one longer 5 day weekend feeling like I really earned the right to / deserved to get away and re-create.

With respect to work, I'm pretty much on track with year-end at my new full time job and am also pretty up to date with my part time consulting client where I work 10-20 hours per week.

Above all, I think I've gained the ability to focus on finishing large projects at home in a way that I didn't have before. I used to do a bit of work on something and leave it unfinished all the time. Then I'd lose tools, screws, pieces or whatever, and make the job harder and more expensive than it had to be. I'd also buy things like ceiling lights or tile and never install them - or paint - and let it dry out from not being used in 3 years.

Other benefits are that I don't escape into reading as much or making plans that I don't follow through with. I used to spend more time planning and thinking about my plans than I ever did doing. I seem to have more energy when I come home at the end of the day and at work. I can work all day sometimes on the weekends where I'd only be in the mood for 3 hours max before. I also don't feel slightly depressed all the time as I have in the past. I think that was caused by not doing what I knew I should or could be doing.

I've learned to delegate more quickly and not put off buying or changing things that will make my life easier and let me focus on more important things. I've learned the necessity of growing the list organically and to limit the things I'm committing myself to - I'm down to 6 active pages in my home book from a high of 23. I've learned to give myself a break if I don't do as much as I think I should because I'm no longer not finishing it because of procrastination but because I have a very full life.

Aristotle said:
"A body in motion can maintain this motion only if it remains in contact with a mover."

My mover is Autofocus.
March 24, 2009 at 20:13 | Unregistered CommenterJacqueline
I am unable to compare what I am achieving with autofocus compared to without, as I am either doing one or the other.

However, in my perception, I am much more confident at knowing how to deal with tasks that I dislike. And I am conscious of working regularly, small amounts on tasks that I dislike. This has reduced the feeling that important things are hanging over my head.

Autofocus also helps me review and dismiss tasks I don't really want to do. This makes me feel less stressed (psychological benefit). Previously, I kept a lot of tasks on next action lists that I realistically was never going to do (or not in months). So I felt like I had more to do than I really did.

Tasks tend not to get shelved or overlooked as easily. So I have got a number of smaller tasks done that worried me, but I didn't think were that important. So instead of nagging at me, they are simply finished. I otherwise might have worked on "more important things" but I would still have the nagging feeling.

It has also made me feel a lot better about my procrastination, as I have a better feeling of control. I still procrastinate, but I do it in small blocks, knowing I will get back to it once I have got some more work done.

Maybe the benefit is psychological. I don't know that I have got more done than I otherwise would have. But I certainly feel calmer, less out of control, and better able to cope with the tasks that hit my desk. That's pretty much what I want out of a system.
March 25, 2009 at 5:21 | Unregistered CommenterDrCris
Like Dave Ramsey says about personal finance: it's 10% head knowledge and 90% behavioral psychology. There are plenty of financial professionals who can't manage their own credit card debt. (Um, or their employer banks' debt; or the national debt).

I think the same ratio can apply to task management: 10% knowledge of tactics such as how to file, how to organize a project, how to use the tools to increase productivity. And 90% behavioral psychology - overcoming resistance, staying motivated, dealing with overwhelm, feeling in control.

I don't think this is specific to Autofocus -- all time management techniques need to address this. But I think one reason Autofocus works so well, is that it emphasizes the behavioral issues, and gives simple and effective means for dealing with them.
March 25, 2009 at 18:36 | Unregistered CommenterSeraphim