To Think About . . .

Nothing is foolproof because fools are ingenious. Anon

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > sort-of goals

I like to plan ahead for some tasks--they're not calendar events with a real deadline, nor are they really "goals", but things like, "by the end of this week I'd like to have XXX done." They are usually express that way "by the end of the week," or "by the end of the month."

Anyone else think this way? I know with AF, all my tasks get looked at all the time, but I'm wondering about way to give that extra push to items that I have declared noteworthy.

ds
March 24, 2009 at 15:12 | Unregistered Commenterds
ds

If I have quasi goals like that I would put them on a MindMap and keep them in view. That way they are in my thought processes but there is no obligation to do or not do them. If my subconscious decides that yes they are genuinely important to me then they will stand out. I also highlight the completed tasks on my MindMap so always have a sense of progress which works well for me - and keeps me within pure AF as the tasks are done within AF and not from the MindMap (unless the common sense rule is necessary).
March 24, 2009 at 18:01 | Unregistered CommenterChristine B
How about just putting "Get x done by x-date" in the AF list
March 24, 2009 at 19:13 | Unregistered CommenterMatthew C
Seems like if you have told yourself that this is a goal, tasks related to it will be more likely to stand out to you sans external forcing functions.
March 24, 2009 at 19:53 | Unregistered CommenterSarah
Christine B

Where do you keep your MindMaps? Are they digital or pen and paper?

I have to confess that I have never been satisfied that I have mastered the art of having a consistent method for storing my project support material.

I find that my projects are located in a computer file, in a filing cabinet, on my bookshelf, in notebooks with bound pages, in notebooks with spiral bound pages (when I throw away the pages when the project is finished), in my memory, in a plastic letter file stacked in a projects tray on my desk, in a "projects" ring binder in my bookcase, in various other ring binders on my bookshelves, on my bedside table if it is a book I am reading, in my gym bag if it relates to my exercise routines, in hanging files in my desk drawers, in shoe boxes in a cupboard, in the back page of my AF notebook, on a shelf in my garage.. Often I have to write into AF exactly where to find this supporting material because I might not be able to remember how I chose to store it.

No two projects are the same and each one calls for a special storage style. I think this is a special art, one that I probably manage better than the average person, but I regularly struggle to be consistent in the way I choose to define the limits of a project, the scope of a project and the way I choose to store the associated material.

Any suggestions as to how I might tackle this issue would be read with interest.
March 24, 2009 at 21:21 | Unregistered CommenterJim (Melbourne)
Hi Jim

I keep MindMaps in both formats. The MindMaps I referenced above are paper - I have a second computer screen on my desk and the monitor doubles perfectly well as a paper holder! I try to make my maps fun so that they reduce task resistance :-) I am also developing MindMaps for recurring projects or procedures. For this type of map I use MindManager but always with a background and add pictures as appropriate.

Project management is definitely a subject in itself. The way I manage my projects (briefly!) is with MS OneNote. As you say projects contain an assortment of "stuff" which can be located in any of 1000 places and can be digital, physical, on site, off-site etc. etc. What I do is to have a specific file structure which I use consistently for my digital filing - that helps me know where to look, regardless of whether the file is a spreadsheet or an email, and my physical stuff I can also keep track of within OneNote.

The big advantage to me of OneNote is that files can be embedded into the notebook, so if I have an accounts project for example I can keep all of my check lists, spreadsheets, correspondence (including email) actually within the relevant notebook. Any research documents can be printed to the notebook and it is easy enough to reference locations for physical "stuff".

I have recently set up a project which I have just called "what is where" for now. I can waste so much time looking for stuff, and databases can be pretty boring to set up, so a OneNote notebook is ideal. I spent time packaging and labelling all of my computer cables, discs, drives etc and packed them away neatly. Trouble was with several boxes full my handwritten lists had usually wandered off by the time I needed something. I now have a page where they will eventually all be logged, along with everything else that has been on one of my numerous lists over the years, so losing things will hopefully become a thing of the past. The number of times over the years I have listed where things are! This should now become "the definitive source!" Of course Mindmaps are ideally suited to logging box contents!

Hope that helps? You may also find the following thread to be of help .....
http://www.markforster.net/forum/post/632540

March 24, 2009 at 22:35 | Unregistered CommenterChristine B
Hi Christine

Many thanks for your generous and typically thoughtful response.

I have had a look at OneNote and was frightened to death by it. I have found in the past that digital management systems make me feel very uncomfortable. However, with your encouragement, I have resolved to give OneNote a try for one or two projects just to see if I can get past that initial "prejudice".

I also noted in another thread that you normally take the time at the start of a project to think carefully about how the management system should be designed. That is very good advice and I have resolved to take more time with this in future.
March 24, 2009 at 23:01 | Unregistered CommenterJim (Melbourne)
Hi Jim

If you want to email me at mail@meovoto.co.uk I'll be glad to send you some screen prints of how I use OneNote with AF. Although the program does a lot it is also very simple to start and you can learn as you go along a lot more easily than with some of Microsoft's other offerings.
March 24, 2009 at 23:06 | Unregistered CommenterChristine B
Too bad we can't highlight them as being important!

If you had the right number of tasks to fit your discretionary time, I think the list would turn up those items in the right timeframe, wouldn't it? Especially the monthly type of goals, maybe not the weekly goals unless they were on your last active page and you "highlighted" them in some way. When I looked over my list a couple of weeks ago and saw that I had so much to do it could take months to get it all done, I pulled out what I knew I wanted to get done in the next month and dismissed the rest. A week later, I dismissed another 50% of the tasks - the ones I decided really weren't important after all. That's one way to make sure things will get done in a month!

March 25, 2009 at 1:41 | Unregistered CommenterJacqueline
Christine,

I'd also be interested in how you use Mindmaps with AF: would you be prepared to post some pictures on one of the AF picture books (flickr, ning) or using jing?
March 25, 2009 at 6:37 | Unregistered CommenterWill
Hi Will

I'll do some copies and try posting them onto Fickr - will add that to my list! I'll post back on this thread when i've done so.
March 25, 2009 at 8:13 | Unregistered CommenterChristine B
Yes this could be very interesting too for me. I use mind map since 10 years and i find them very efficient for project plan. Thanks to you Christine

Jupiter.
March 25, 2009 at 8:21 | Unregistered CommenterJupiter
Check out the blog here:

http://www.sytone.com

He has a simple template to use OneNote for AF. OneNote is so simple you could make your own, of course, but it is nice to see how others have done it.

And, of course, you could put your mind maps or links to your mind map files in OneNote, and I suppose vice-versa.

For those of you who do a lot of web research using mind maps, I'd recommend "The Brain". It is excellent for making very large maps with attached files. One guy has a map of over 85,000 nodes he has been developing over 10 years now and you can get links to see it on-line.
March 25, 2009 at 10:02 | Unregistered CommenterMike
I am glad someone beat me to it. I was trying to figure out how to ask about mindmaps without sounding stupid. I couldn't even figure out the real question. I actually have it on my list and I can now cross it off!

Look forward to seeing Christine's uploads.
March 25, 2009 at 11:55 | Unregistered CommenterMartyH
Marty,

Mind Maps are a kind of "concept map", as I understand the terminology. I believe the term "mind map" was coined by Tony Buzan, who wrote several books on how to make and use mind maps.

Fundamentally the idea is that the mind works best not in a linear fashion (which would be supported by Harvard type outlines) but in a networked fashion (for which mind maps, being themselves networks, are more helpful).

So a mind map is a drawn network of ideas which more efficiently shows the networked organization of thoughts. (In fact once you start using mind maps you'll find that in the course of using them you'll uncover relationships that the books or lecturer is not even discussing.)

The second big feature of mind maps is that they are visually oriented. There is not much of a visual nature in a Harvard outline, but if you draw a map with curved lines, of varying thickness (to represent the importance of the links) and different colors, and pictures and drawings ... it will stand out more and be more memorable. For example, if a person is talking about time, drawing a clock face will be more memorable than just putting the word "time" on the map. It really does work.

There are several tools out there for those who want to do mind mapping with a computer. The most well known is "Mind Manager". It is very full featured but has a somewhat steeper learning curve. (I've even seen a nice appointment template for it that works very nicely, FWIW.) Other products such as "free mind" (IIRC) is freeware if you just want to try it out.

"The Brain" (also freeware in its personal version ... "The Personal Brain") has a somewhat different presentation. What ever "thought" you are looking at immediately becomes the center of the map and you see other thoughts in relation to that. It is quite dynamic and some people get somewhat dizzy watching it swoosh around as they select thoughts. It is quite easy to create and link to documents, as well as web pages. It is also very easy to build a map. Just drag a line from a thought and you'll get a box to name a "child" thought. And away you go.

Basically, if you are a visually oriented person you'll find that concept maps (and mind maps) are much more useful than the usual Harvard outline. For my own personal use, I find that if I take notes on a book using a mind map than do that for a second book on the same subject, I learn a lot by integrating the two maps as different authors can make similar points for different reasons and the mind map uncovers that quickly.
March 25, 2009 at 13:47 | Unregistered CommenterMike
Just to let you know I've uploaded two Mindmaps to Flickr, one manual and one digital. Hope they're legible enough!
March 28, 2009 at 13:08 | Unregistered CommenterChristine B
Mike and Christine,

Thanks! The explanation seemed to be more practical than what I had read elsewhere. Seeing examples that were practical helped as well.

Not sure I relate to the graphical aspect though. But now I will be tempted to doodle more and have the goal of the doodles be more focused in this way. We will see how it works out. It might be another tool that becomes vital.
March 28, 2009 at 19:15 | Unregistered CommenterMartyH
ChristineB, can you give the Flickr url?

Thanks
March 29, 2009 at 0:54 | Unregistered CommenterWill
Will - here's the flickr link - http://www.flickr.com/groups/autofocustimesystem/ You may need to join as a member to see all the pics though
March 29, 2009 at 2:06 | Unregistered CommenterLillian
Thanks Lillian - sorry Will, should have included it!
March 29, 2009 at 8:16 | Unregistered CommenterChristine B
Thanks, Christine.

1. I am inspired to sort out my One Note filing at work (Though I remain committed to Outlook tasks for AF, at least for now.)

2. Your kitchen Mindmap is flawless EXCEPT that it has the cupboards in the wrong places: please correct it immediately!

3. The manual mindmap looks so natural. I tend to find myself going back too far and mapping everything in my life rather than the urgent priorities. I suspect some deep psychological flaw here. But if I COULD draw a map like yours, I'm sure I'd be more focussed and effective. Whether I actually drew it or not.

In short, three direct hits: Thanks again!

March 29, 2009 at 9:02 | Unregistered CommenterWill
Hi Will

I love using OneNote with AF! The only problem is that every time anyone links to a really interesting article I can just print it straight into OneNote but now have to have a recuuring task to "sort OneNote pages"!

You are correct that the cupboards are in the wrong place but if they were in the correct place then the map would be unbalanced....... I'm afraid I chose aesthetics over accuracy ..... :-)

I'd always felt my handwritten Mindmaps were a bit messy but by drawing "cloud like" boxes around the topics it somehow neatens it up - it is then easy to highlight "actioned" tasks so that you can see progress....... I just tried the MindMap for my urgent stuff 'cos the index card type list really didn't do it for me :-)
March 29, 2009 at 12:44 | Unregistered CommenterChristine B