To Think About . . .

Nothing is foolproof because fools are ingenious. Anon

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > 2 points unclear for me -next page & Dismiss tasks, project tasks

Hello Sorry about those stupid question but 3 things are not very clear in my head.

1) Next page. My notebook is numbered 1 to 6 by page. My last item are on page 6.
Ok i work on page 6 and after reading nothing stand at me. So do i have to do my page 5,then, then 3, then 2, then 1 OR do i go on page one, then 2, 3,4 and at last 5, then again 6.

2) Mark said if nothing stand at you on a page then all items are dismissed OK i highline all of them exept the page 6 (last page) right ? then does dismissed items includes future task (that i can't do for the moment) ?

3) Lot of items are coming from projects. if you work on a project it is sometime easier to do all about the projects and avance in your work. Then if you do it, do you read all your pages to find items concerning this project or do you do only the action about it and do something else even if it doesnt belong to the project. Then you will have to come back to your next project task later....

Thanks for the answers. I red the post but didnt find or understand a precise answers to theses questions.
March 24, 2009 at 21:33 | Unregistered CommenterJupiter
Hi Jupiter

Dismissing Tasks:-
Page 6 is your last page - the page you are entering tasks on, so is not a full page. If nothing stands out you go back to page 1 - you do not dismiss items on the last page. You do one or more tasks on page one until no more tasks stand out. You then move on to page two. You only dismiss tasks on a page if no items stand out ON THE FIRST PASS - if you do at least one item on that visit to the page then you just move on to the next page. You only dismiss items on that page - NOT on all pages.

Future Date:-
If a task can only be done at a future date, you can action it by adding it to your schedule - either on the date it must be done, or as a reminder to add it to your list at the appropriate time.

Project Tasks:-
If your method of project working requires several actions to be worked on, you may find it easier to list those actions within your project management system and just write "project x" as the task in AF. If you only occasionally do items out of sequence that will not be a major problem - just cross them off when you reach the relevant page, but I would caution against "item hunting" as a regular practice. I find it helpful to be able to extract lists of project tasks for reference and very occasional "block action" but would not recommend this as a consistent method of working as it detracts from the page by page "closed list" approach.

Hope that helps a little?
March 24, 2009 at 22:52 | Unregistered CommenterChristine B
Thankd indeed Christine then it's clear for me.

Just wonder for future date you said :
"If a task can only be done at a future date, you can action it by adding it to your schedule - either on the date it must be done, or as a reminder to add it to your list at the appropriate time". Ok that's what what i do with ical and it works well.

But when you extract an item from AF to put it on your schedule, do you cross it in AF ?
March 25, 2009 at 8:02 | Unregistered CommenterJupiter
Hi Jupiter

As AF works with discretionery time you need a schedule as well. If I have a timed item I add it to miy list as "add xyz appointment to schedule" and yes, cross it off in AF as actioned. Similarly if an item can "only" be actioned in the future then it does not belong on the list. If it "can" be done before that time then it is not a future item and should be actioned or dismissed according to the rules.
March 25, 2009 at 8:20 | Unregistered CommenterChristine B
Now it's clear in my mind . Thanks again to you Christine :)).
Do you have a web site about things you do or like ? If yes sure others (& I) would like to read you acording to your explanation always interesting.
Best regards.
March 25, 2009 at 8:37 | Unregistered CommenterJupiter
Hi Jupiter

I'm actually in the process of getting a website set up - one of the things AF has prompted me to do :-) and something I have procrastinated on for too long!!! I am hoping to have it set up within the next couple of weeks ..........
March 25, 2009 at 11:04 | Unregistered CommenterChristine B
Christine, I agree with Jupiter. I have found your post on this forum to be very helpful. Please add me to your mailing this so I can check out your blog when it is up and running. Good luck!
March 26, 2009 at 21:12 | Unregistered CommenterE
Hi E

Thanks for your good wishes! I guess I'll have to post the address when I get underway :-)
March 26, 2009 at 22:21 | Unregistered CommenterChristine B