To Think About . . .

The price of inaction is far greater than the cost of making a mistake. Meister Eckhart

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > I procrastinate a lot by rephrasing

I got to know that efficient rephrasing can be considered as an concrete activity and that therefore I can cross items off when they are reasonably rephrased.

http://www.markforster.net/forum/post/692466

However, I recently realized that I tend to postpone hard tasks/project by rephrasing many times. Therefore, I have had little progress in such items.

Any advice/suggestions regarding this issue would be appreciated.
March 29, 2009 at 20:20 | Unregistered Commentermit
Hi mit,

Just to be sure, I re-read the instructions again before replying here. Nowhere in the instructions does it say that rephrasing alone counts as action. Working on it a little bit - say 2 minutes - and then crossing it out and rephrasing it would make sense though.

I understand not wanting to dismiss the action and not wanting to do it either. I would, however, dismiss and add it back after a period of time, probably with different phrasing. I'd even do something like dismiss the task itself and put in a new one with something like "list 5 ways to get project x going in a way that I won't resist doing it".

I can't emphasize enough though that the motivation will eventually come one day to finally clear the decks of all this stuff that's been hanging over you. You'll be sick of skipping over it, it will be hanging back there on a page of its own, mocking you, and you will just do the darn thing or finally admit to yourself that you aren't going to, and nothing's going to make you - and that's ok. I've done both - buckled down and pushed myself - as well as admitted defeat of sorts. Only these two alternatives really cause relief IMHO. Most things can be done using the little and often approach, so why not stop rephrasing and just try some incremental action?

All the best!
March 29, 2009 at 21:08 | Unregistered CommenterJacqueline
I do sometimes use rephrasing to progress a task. But you need to be really careful with that. It needs to be reserved for tasks that you have a high degree of resistance for and really can't bear to work on (but really don't want to dismiss). I tend to reserve it for tasks where rephrasing actually changes the task - like restating it as a next action. Rephrasing for the sake of it is not allowed.
March 30, 2009 at 0:27 | Unregistered CommenterDrCris
These two threads might help
http://www.markforster.net/forum/post/623288#post623379
http://www.markforster.net/forum/post/692466#post693413

I've had tasks that "rephrasing just for the sake of it" was enough to get it moving. After all, you have to think why "call Jane" needs to be rephrased rather than just picking up the phone. That's when you realize you can't "call Jane" because you don't have the info you need. Rephrasing "just for the sake of it" is now "1. get info for Jane" and 2. "call Jane with info"
March 30, 2009 at 1:43 | Unregistered CommenterLillian
I appreciate all posts in this thread. First, let me explain my story of rephrasing.

Being a bioscience researcher, I have a couple of projects where I have to prepare presentation-proof materials and/or documents. If I think results obtained become enough for presentation or publication, I first put "Start writing for Project X" in a list. Next time I see this, I rephrase "Review all materials relevant to Project X." Then I say "Collect figures", "Collect methods", "Organize figure legends", and so on. However, when I see one of them, I think I need to build a more logical story than when I have started this particular project. Now I write "Think about a story of Project X." When I see this item next time, I tend to wrte "Review all materials relevant to Project X," or something like that, which gives me an endless loop.

That's how I rephrase and postpone hard but important things.

Jacqueline, thank you for your detailed explanation. I like your "list 5 easy ways" method; I am giving it a try. As you mentioned, what I need is to be courageous to make even a tiny progress every time I face hard items.

DrCris, I do agree with you that I have to be very careful when rephrasing. Although my rephrasing mentioned above was to change a quality of tasks like you said, it occationally did not work well for me.

Lillian, the first thread helped me understand resistance and rephrasing (the second one is what I created). After I read your post, I understood my problem is rather project-related since I don't usually hesitate or get lost to do "Call Jane"-type tasks.

Now I am trying to list 5 ways to break-through.
March 30, 2009 at 5:30 | Unregistered Commentermit
Hi mit

It does seem as though your specific issue is more project related - you may find it helpful to keep a separate list for each of these type projects and to update that list each time you "create" a new task for it. It sounds more as if you are not actually rephrasing but rather actioning a small piece of the task, adding the next step, and as some of those steps repeat earlier ones, then feel you are in a loop.

By creating a separate project list and adding each "new or rephrased" task you may well start to see a pattern emerging. It may be that you consistently find that you "need more info". This may not necessarily be that you are "not obtaining enough" the first time around around but rather that you work best by (1) researching info (2) reviewing info (3) using that research to generate ideas for additional info and (4) obtaining final reasearch.

Don't feel that there is only one fixed way to write or action tasks within AF - it is the very process of looking at why a particular area does not seem to be working for us that we identify either our own "best working practices" or areas of our own administration, scheduling or project management that we need to change.
March 30, 2009 at 9:53 | Unregistered CommenterChristine B
Hi again mit,

Thanks for providing more information. It's easier to be more specific w/advice when you know more about the situation. It seems pretty clear that your project isn't something you can dismiss at all, nor is it something you can just work on for an hour. In fact, it sounds overwhelming the way you've described it. Overwhelm is tough to acknowledge, but really not that hard to overcome. I used to get in an endless loop of "paralysis by analysis", where I would think I needed to know more, then that investigation would lead me to become more overwhelmed, and I'd investigate some more over and over again, until I did nothing at all and gave up.

I like Christine's advice to have a project page of its own for this. On that project page, I would write a checklist of things to do related to the research project. Break the items down until you get to a point where some of the steps have lost their resistance - that's the point where they've become actionable. And that's the point where they can be added on to your AF list if you want or worked on off of your project page. Even work on it as a Current Initiative completely off the list if that helps you progress faster.

I was reminded of one of Mark's books - I think it was DIT - where he describes how he writes a book. He writes the major topics out (like an outline), then flushes them out over and over again until he has written the chapter. Could you do something like this for the actual writing that you have to do?

In Get Everything Done, he also describes a method to get going on projects which he calls "halving". "Taking everything you have to do and dividing it into half over and over again until you have only one thing left - then you do it." But you would be doing this as part of "planning a project from scratch to cover all the action that needs to be taken at any stage" "you wouldn't be taking action on each item as you went along but instead would be developing a hierarchical structure on paper." At some point, the structure you produce would lead to a number of actionable, very concrete tasks.

Here's another paragraph from Mark's book that I find motivating and hope you do too:

"The simple secret of people who are naturally good at running their lives is that they always take resistance as a spur to action instead of avoidance. In fact what we are talking about here is rediscovering the old virtue of courage. In reality only one thing stands between me as I am and me as I want to be - and that is fear. And the best and only remedy for fear is, and always has been, action."

I hope this helps, and I wish you luck!
March 30, 2009 at 13:04 | Unregistered CommenterJacqueline
Just a thought, you could make it a (temporary) rule whenever you rephrase anything to do at least some work on one of the rephrased tasks, before returning to your place on your AF list. This is the same as Jacqueline's first suggestion, but flipped around.
March 30, 2009 at 15:02 | Unregistered CommenterLudlow
Might be worth doing your project planning outside AF, then 'populating' the AF list with project actions.
March 30, 2009 at 20:14 | Unregistered Commentersmileypete
I do appreciate all of your valuable comments. Each one of your comments encourages me a lot.

Christine, I also consider my problem to be project-related. Indeed, I realized my not knowing how to manage projects efficiently and thus used to have "Learn AF-based project management" in the list, which I dismissed after all. Having a separate project list seems good to try. In this case, my question is whether I should have an AF-type list for the project. As well, your last paragraph made me think as if initiating AF system gave me an opportunity to improve the ability to deal with "myself."

Jacqueline, thank you for citing Mark's comments from his writings, all of which are very helpful. I would say the nature of my projects is similar to that of writing in that it is very important to have a good structure. To break down or make an outline, I use FreeMind, software for mind mapping. The problem when breaking down with it is that a tree-type list as a result could be huge, which overwhelmed me often. However, now I think I have to be courage to look at and rearrange items on the mind map and put them on the project list in a reasonable order (I don't know what "reasonable" means, though). I need a mind set. I am giving it a try.

Ludlow, yes, that's what I did today. It worked to some extent; I did a little although I felt a lot of mental resistance. I am going to keep it on any way.

smileypete, thank you for your plain but very reasonable suggestion. As I mentined above, I am going to have a separate list for each project, probably by developing mind maps.
March 31, 2009 at 6:05 | Unregistered Commentermit
Hi mit

The thing to remember about project management is that, unless you are having to work within a fixed organisational structure, you can adapt your own project management to fit the way you work best. If you like complexity you can go to the lengths of gantt charts etc but at the end of the day the actual requirements are very simple - "What is the project?" "What are the steps?" and "How much progress have I made?" Within those three very simple elements you can add structure or further detail as required but those three simple questions will invariably fit any and every project.

MindMapping again is a very useful tool. It has always been something I have used quite spasmodically but am really finding it helpful with AF. Once I started using it more with AF I went out and bought a plain pad to draw my maps (they can then be reproduced digitally if required) as they look better on plain paper. It is also very easy to expand them. Don't forget that you do not need to put everything into one map - you can start a new map to expand on any given area.

As for having AF style lists this can be personal preference but also some projects lend themselves more to that than others. If I illustrate with the two MindMaps that I posted on Flickr that may help......

The handwritten map was a quick summary of things I wanted to achieve that week. I had someone visiting and wanted to quickly clean up the place so had a number of home related tasks, one of which was simply "Kitchen". That could be said to be an AF task in the form of "Project x" When Project x" i.e. Kitchen, stands out , I then work on "Kitchen" for as long as I feel like. Now for project "Kitchen" I then have a detailed Project List - for this see the Digital MindMap. That breaks the "project" down to individual tasks and enables monitoring of progress by means of the tick boxes (which in MindManger can also show %completed). For a more complex project each sub section can be turned into it's own MindMap so projects of varying complexity can be handled with the same method.

As for using the "list" as an AF list, I find that I operate my projects in one of two ways - I either add "Project x" to my AF list and use my "Project x Project List" within that time, or I may extract tasks from that project and add them as individual tasks into AF. For example, looking at the Kitchen Mindmap, I may extract "Clean Oven" or "Defrost Freezer" to AF and action them specifically when they stand out. Alternatively I may just, in my standing out "Project x (kitchen)" time take my list and treat it as an AF list, looking to see what on that list "stands out". Obviously there are dependencies within that list - as with any project. For example, I cannot action "put washing away" until I have done "washing". I cannot action "throw rubbish" before I have actioned "empty bin", but I can look at the other tasks and choose "clean sink" or "sort food cupboard" and either of those tasks will progress me towards the completion of the project.

Hope that helps ...... the easiest way to start your "project management system" if you like using MindMaps is just take a sheet of paper, write Projects as your central topic, and add a branch for every project you can think of - pretend it is AF - don't grade or qualify those ideas - just create a map. You can then take any one of those Projects and start a new map for it - and so on and so on .....

Here's the link to Flickr and my posted MindMaps
http://www.flickr.com/groups/autofocustimesystem/

Best of luck!

March 31, 2009 at 10:02 | Unregistered CommenterChristine B
Still no joy on the mind maps. Flicker shows only the same tired old 9 images.
March 31, 2009 at 10:33 | Unregistered CommenterMike
Mike:

That won't change until you sign in. Christine's and my pictures still aren't qualified for public viewing. Stupid flickr. I think I pick up Christine's suggestion and create my own picture showcase. Perhaps not full blown with upload and comments and stuff, but just so that non-members of flickr can see them.
March 31, 2009 at 11:10 | Unregistered CommenterAndreas Hofmann
Hi Mike

Just for you I've added 4 more screen prints with some OneNote suggestions so you should now be able to see my MindMaps! :-)

It is frustrating having a lot of different places and sign ins required. I hope to have my site up and running shortly and will happily post my pictures there but that'll be yet another location ..........
March 31, 2009 at 11:23 | Unregistered CommenterChristine B
Ah, thank you so much ;-)

I hate to sign up as well ... worse, I hate the spam. When I MUST sign up, I use a phony email addy or if that won't work (because they send a confirmation link) I use something line "10 Minute Mail" to generate a live dummy. That really cut down the trash. (Of course, then I have to keep a record of all of these various IDs so I use a table in OneNote for that. But if I can avoid it, I still do.
March 31, 2009 at 11:37 | Unregistered CommenterMike
I have several domains so an ulimited number of email addresses and that helps to manage spam issues. Funnily enough I was only thinking the other day how little spam I now get. I do use Spamfighter but out of curiosity I just checked Outlook and have 2 messages in SpamFighter and 1 in Junk Mail - I used to get upwards of 100 a day! Pretty good huh? Mind you, if I lived in the US ...... all those government grants I could claim .....:-)
March 31, 2009 at 12:11 | Unregistered CommenterChristine B
Christine,

OMG, I sure hope you did not miss that email Mr. Umbowa sent you about those millions he needs help to get out of his country! It would be a shame to miss out on that opportunity for instant riches.
March 31, 2009 at 14:06 | Unregistered CommenterMike
As I've previously stated on this forum, I am a shocking procrastinator, but my lack of recent posts is proof I'm getting way better at managing myself ;-)

Go through your AF books and pick out the tasks which you are most 'resisting'.

List these tasks on a separate table, and start keeping a record of how long you spend on each task at each attempt. As you start filling in the table, you will find yourself trying to out-do your previous attempts. Putting the table in a public place (mine is on the fridge) will also mean that your family can help gee you up (or police you, as the case may be).

Eg, amongst many other things, I am resisting completing my DPhil thesis. I started out writing "work on thesis for two minutes" in my AF notebook in an effort to overcome the initial resistance; a few weeks later, with the aid of the tables, I am regularly managing six fifteen minute sessions a day.

Any time you achieve a "personal best", reward yourself.
March 31, 2009 at 14:10 | Unregistered Commenterlittle b
Mike

I think that one must have gone straight to junk but it's ok - I won the Dutch lottery :-)
March 31, 2009 at 23:39 | Unregistered CommenterChristine B
mit, if you're still around and trying to work on your project, this might be helpful:

http://www.markforster.net/blog/2008/3/12/better-than-mind-maps.html
May 6, 2009 at 18:16 | Unregistered CommenterJacqueline
Hi mit: I know exactly how you feel and I've recently come to the conclusion that what you're doing actually IS working, not just rephrasing. Figuring out what to do next, planning a project, and thinking about it is a big part of your job. (Or at least that's what I tell myself, anyway.)

I often have a task that's too big and overwhelming on my list and I avoid it because I don't know what it means. Taking the time to think about it and breaking it down into smaller tasks, redefining, rephrasing, etc. is big progress for me and inevitably relieves a lot of anxiety. I consider it work and happily cross the task off and write a few new ones, which may soon need to be reevaluated and rephrased themselves.
May 6, 2009 at 18:52 | Unregistered CommenterJennifer George
mit,

Reading the description of your work style for these specific types of products, I wonder if it would help you to actually map out a generic mindmap/decision tree/flowchart that breaks the big pieces of a writing project down. So, where in a generic flow chart would 'collect figures' , 'collect methods,' 'write figure legends' etc go? I'm sure each product has its own creative arc, but maybe there are common pieces that could be thought about and systematized so you're not having to think about them everytime they pop up.

Mark has often said that time spent on creating systems and routines repays itself over and over. Since I'm a technical writer, I tend to think in terms of templates, styles, forms, calendar prompts, macros, etc to help me when I have to crank out another project plan or white paper. If you can offload some of the 'routine thinking' to a chart or template, then your AF task would be 'Work on X presentation' and that would be all you need to pick up where you left off.
May 6, 2009 at 19:56 | Unregistered CommenterMike Brown