To Think About . . .

The price of inaction is far greater than the cost of making a mistake. Meister Eckhart

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > Aesop & Autofocus

The Boy and the Filberts

A Boy put his hand into a jar of Filberts, and grasped as many as his fist could possibly hold. But when he tried to pull it out again, he found he couldn't do so, for the neck of the jar was too small to allow of the passage of so large a handful. Unwilling to lose his nuts but unable to withdraw his hand, he burst into tears. A bystander, who saw where the trouble lay, said to him, "Come, my boy, don't be so greedy: be content with half the amount, and you'll be able to get your hand out without difficulty."

— Do not attempt too much at once.

April 6, 2009 at 19:07 | Unregistered CommenterJacqueline
Very funny! A perfect illustration of the importance of tackling things "little and often".

(I know this post is quite old but I only just saw it - and it's worth reviving anyway.)
May 6, 2009 at 12:51 | Unregistered Commenteracedia
Very nice, Jacqueline. Advice that all of us should follow these very busy days...

-David
May 6, 2009 at 14:02 | Unregistered CommenterDavid Drake
acedia, I don't know if it's so much little and often, although that's probably part of it - I thought of this fable in trying to cut my AF list in half by trimming my commitments and projects I was taking on (my filberts). :-)

Funny the things you can remember reading when you're 4 or 5 years old.
May 6, 2009 at 16:16 | Unregistered CommenterJacqueline