To Think About . . .

The price of inaction is far greater than the cost of making a mistake. Meister Eckhart

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > Project Planning - methods & tools

For projects that are not formal, I have always been very reactive meaning I just jump in rather than plan. Obviously, this has not been the most efficient way. Many a times, I am forced to do some planning if only to clear my head. This has kind of worked so far but clearly I could be lot more effective if only I did proactive planning. I have no issues with formal projects such as product launch etc. that have clear/defined company processes that one needs to adhere to. However for informal projects (home or work) I would like to get into a habit of doing a simple project planning before diving in. Increasingly, I have been taking on more responsibilities at work and I just feel that my lack of proactive planning is going to trip me up.

I would like some help from the members who routinely plan for such informal projects before diving in. If you can articulate both the steps you take, the (digital or analog) tools you use I can hopefully learn from your experiences and build my own steps and processes to develop this habit. Thanks.

GC
April 17, 2009 at 21:38 | Unregistered CommenterGreenchutney
Hi GC,

Although I don't use any type of project management right now, I have in the past. I like a WBS concept better than other tools, it could be because I was first exposed to them years ago working with an engineering firm - one thing I like about them is (from wikipedia):

"The WBS is organized around the primary products of the project (or planned outcomes) instead of the work needed to produce the products (planned actions)."

And I think it works with AF better because:

"The best way to adhere to the 100% Rule is to define WBS elements in terms of outcomes or results. This also ensures that the WBS is not overly prescriptive of methods, allowing for greater ingenuity and creative thinking on the part of the project participants."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Work_breakdown_structure

A good simple example is on the following webpage:
http://www.hyperthot.com/pm_wbs.htm

I think that what others might call a mindmap on the site here resembles a WBS to me. Only the WBS appears cleaner and more logical.

In fact, you've got me inspired to try one for my home reno, I forgot how beautifully simplistic and orderly a WBS can be. I pulled out one of my bathroom vanities preemptively and I think it was a mistake to do so. I'll probably give it a shot in word or excel, since I'm much more proficient in excel.
April 17, 2009 at 23:20 | Unregistered CommenterJacqueline
Hi Greenchutney

You may find the following post I did on this subject helpful

http://www.markforster.net/forum/post/632540#post632716

or you may not :-) I use OneNote extensively and find it has revolutionised my project planning.
April 17, 2009 at 23:35 | Unregistered CommenterChristine B
Jacqueline & Christine, thanks for your inputs.

Jacqueline, I will look into WBS in detail as it is more in tune with how I might think about a project. As you mention, WBS's concept of keeping outcomes as the main focus when you break down a project is key.

Christine, I also use OneNote for my work AF pages based on the way you have structured as shown in the flickr pages. It would be great if I can use the same tool for project management as well. <"What I try to do for any project is set up a standard structure for control - with a front sheet detailing the project, resources required, parties involved, filing structure if appropriate and estimated time frame">. Can you describe it as you have implemented (the way you have explained the setup for AF lists in OneNote) or share a picture if it's not too much of work? Thanks.

GC

April 18, 2009 at 0:00 | Unregistered CommenterGreenchutney
Hi Jacqueline

Thanks for the links - really interesting and you are right - they are the same concept as MindMapping. In fact the mindmapping software I use (MindManager) enables maps to be produced in both of the formats shown.

I find it fascinating how as individuals we relate to different presentation structures and how just a simple change to presentation can have such an impact. I was rereading the Myers Briggs typing characteristics yesterday and think that explains a lot about why we all look at things from a different perspective, rather like the story of the three blind men and the elephant (or 6 depending on the version!!)
April 18, 2009 at 0:05 | Unregistered CommenterChristine B
Any one else with thoughts? Thanks.
April 18, 2009 at 3:34 | Unregistered CommenterGreenchutney
I would say: keep it simple. I would not search for special software. You can plan an informal project on the back of an envelope ... or a cheap notebook, or a word processor, or OneNote, or MindManager (or FreeMind if you don't want to spend money but want to mind map). Whatever seems to work for you will be the best approach.

In any plan, I'd first specify the outcome I want and try to be as specific as possible. Not "Build Deck" but:

"Build a deck that will be large enough to accommodate a 6 person hot tub with a table for snacks, benches and chairs, and a fire pit. It should have wrap around stairs so people won't step off at the wrong place after a few drinks and hurt themselves."

Once you do that you'll be triggering your internal vison of what you really want an why. After it is complte, you can then begin to list your requirements and what steps you need to take:

- Measure several areas of the yard to find a place big enough
- Check zoning and HOA ordinances
- Get Permits (if needed)
- Calculate materials needed for that size of deck
- Line up warm bodies to help
- Read up on how to do it
- Buy any needed tools (definitely a "Bo-wrench" ;-)
- etc.

Once you have that list you can start putting some tasks on your AF list. I would NOT put them all on the list. Just the first few ... and only non contingent ones. That way, you can clear them off more quickly and add others later.

I would NOT use a full blown PERT/CPM system. The only personal project I have ever done that I used a PERT/CPM system for was my wedding. It turns out that weddings are one of the most complicated of all human endeavors ... probably more so than going to Mars ... who knew? But with a wedding there are many contingent tasks and they really ARE time dependent. You can't order a wedding cake only a week in advance! You can't book a venue with less than 6 months notice ... unless you just don't care!

But short of planning a wedding, I'd stick so pen and paper or a word processor type program.
April 18, 2009 at 13:32 | Unregistered CommenterMike
Hi Greenchutney

What I posted in the earlier post still holds true but as I went on to say, I was, even at that early stage of Beta Testing, finding that AF was causing me to revisit some of my existing systems. My experience of Project Management is primarily within a business environment and in working with organisations to tailor the final system to the specific needs of the organisation. There are basic fundamentals which I will normally follow and I will be happy to post a couple of examples. However, and this is a big however, AF has caused me to rethink my systems to quite a significant degree and this is an ongoing process. It has always been an easy option for me to manage all projects under a similar structure - it is clear, it is simple, it is easy to define. However, although it is great for the purpose for which it is intended - and still a system I would use for multi level reporting situations, it does not greatly satisfy my creativity and that is where AF is enabling me to recreate (no pun intended!) a more creative, flexible system. It is still in it's early stages and a lot of my ideas and thoughts are still conceptual. I will be happy to post an example of a less formally defined "project" but this aspect is still a "work in progress". As Mark has recently posted, the management need for a project is "what is appropriate for that project". My personal view is that "appropriateness" has a lot more flexibility than I would at one stage have believed and is also a lot more dependant upon the person/people operating the "system" than I had believed. Project management is a big subject and one I intend to go into a lot more detail on on my website but that is a few weeks away :-)

If I was working with a corporate client on project management, the final structure would look very different to if I was working with someone in a Home Working environment for example. I will post a couple of picture to Flickr in the next few days (sorry - I don't particularly like Flickr so Flickr related tasks don't tend to jump out quickly :-) - I can't wait for when I can post on my own site!!!)
April 18, 2009 at 14:07 | Unregistered CommenterChristine B
For personal projects where I don't need a lot of formal documentation, I use Evernote (http://www.evernote.com) to keep track of all my research notes and next actions. In my AF list I will usually put the next action on the project, and after I've done it I review my Evernote project note and put the next one, etc.

I also use a little * sign next to a task that's part of a project instead of my usual dash so I know to check Evernote for next actions.

HTH!
April 18, 2009 at 16:39 | Unregistered CommenterSabrina
Greenchutney,

When projects span long time periods I am likely to misremember things and lose track of them. I am highly averse to going back three weeks in AF to see whether or not I completed step 15 in Project X.

So, I do like to keep project plans for _some_ projects outside of AF. This can be done with simple paper list in file folders. I like to use an application called Achieve Planner:

http://www.effexis.com/achieve/planner.htm

Since there have been long discussions about the pros and cons of planning, I should be clear that I do _not_ list every task in my project plans. If we want to get into a philosophical discussion here, I would argue that it is impossible to list every task. Because how one defines a task is highly contingent and variable. Is it "write the report" or "open drawer 7 in cabinet C"?

I use project plans when I think there is a risk that I will lose track of my progress in a project. I find that I am most prone to losing track for projects that take place over long periods of time, often with long periods of inactivity. Sometimes there are bursts of intense activity. During those times, all the facts of the project are fresh in my mind. But three months later, when the product is delivered, many of those facts become fuzzy, dim memories. It's often nice to have some kind of record.

Recently I started a project 3 weeks ago. This past week, I reached the project in AF and started working on it again. I did the task in AF. Then I couldn't remember whether or not I had completed some other tasks related to that project. I checked my project plan and saw that I had completed them a 3 weeks prior.

Some people have great memories. They might not need the same crutch that I need.
April 19, 2009 at 1:45 | Unregistered Commentermoises
For me, a mind map is nothing more than a messy work breakdown structure.

What I have found useful is a strategy map. It derives a clear linkage between the outcome desired and the skills or strengths which make it sensible for you to pursue an initiative rather than leave it to someone else

It's designed for use in articulating the overarching strategy for a business but I find it can trivally be adapted for other contexts and for one-off projects.
April 19, 2009 at 17:47 | Unregistered CommenterDavid C
Hi GC,
David Allen's GTD sets out 5 phases of natural project planning which I find helpful. This is a useful link

http://www.scribd.com/doc/8764651/Five-Phases-of-Natural-Planning-Techniques

and the wiki summary of the book sets it out in narrative form.

http://wikisummaries.org/Getting_Things_Done:_The_Art_of_Stress-Free_Productivity

Good luck.
April 21, 2009 at 22:45 | Unregistered CommenterJane P
Here is an article I wrote about the Natural Project Planning method.
It is aimed specifically at users of the Emacs text editor and org-mode, but
the article does give an overview of the methodology.

http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~charles57/GTD/Natural_Project_Planning.html

Charles
April 22, 2009 at 0:21 | Unregistered CommenterCharles
Hi Charles

Very interesting overview. It is similar to the approach I use when setting up corporate systems but with AF I have simplified it even further. I guess that the degree of structure will vary according to the number of project participants; in a corporate environment there is a need for more structure in order to maintain consistency. I think the challenge in any corporate setting is to design a structured yet sufficiently flexible system which still allows for creativity. I like the simplicity of this approach from the corporate perspective although I am definitely coming to the conclusion that my preferences for personal project planning can be even less structured and evolve naturally within AF.
April 22, 2009 at 1:40 | Unregistered CommenterChristine B
Jacqueline,

Thanks for posting the links for WBS, it looks very interesting and I'll investigate it further. Just one question: is it possible to use the WBS on its own to manage projects (not professional Project Management per se) or would you say it is one component of managing a project?
April 22, 2009 at 12:11 | Unregistered CommenterLeon
Charles,
Thanks for the link. That was an excellent overview. Very clearly explained with examples.

GC
April 23, 2009 at 0:58 | Unregistered CommenterGreenchutney
Leon, for a major project involving a few or many people and a non-flexible schedule, I would add a Gantt chart or something similar which shows the various tasks and time for completion. A Gantt chart is based on the WBS (outcomes) - which are then broken down into tasks, who does what and time frame for completion. You put your tasks on the rows and the timeframe (weeks/days) on the columns. You can put in a column beside the task for the people who are assigned to the project. You can do one up easily in excel, you don't need any fancy PM software. Or do it like I have it written below.

For something as simple as my bathroom renovation, I would do something like the following:

Outcomes - Bathroom renovation (WBS)
- vanity
- sink / faucets
- wall and tub surround beadboard (will need to remove old tile to do this)
- flooring (will need to remove old flooring)
- walls (this includes things like repair of walls, washing, and painting)
- tub taps & new faucet
- shelving?

Then add in a Gantt type of chart (I'm being simplistic here b/c my example is pretty simple):

Vanity
- remove old vanity (note this should *not* be the first step!)
- read up on vanity installation online and in home reno book - (20 min) Mon
- measure space/pipes (15 min) - Mon - 6-6:15
- decide upon style (20 min) - Tues - 6-6:20
- locate studs (10 min) - Friday - 6_6:10
- purchase/assemble tools - R. to do (30 min) - Wed - 2-2:30?
- purchase vanity (2 hours) - Sat - 9-11
- arrange time with Ryan to assemble (5 min) - Thurs. anytime
- Install vanity (2 hours??) - with R. - Sun - 1-3

I do agree that if PM hasn't worked for someone before, maybe it might not work now - but I think if someone is sufficiently motivated, that's not necessarily true.

I do know that in using AF I did the first step as "remove vanity" which wasn't the sensible thing to do, I should have shopped for and purchased the new one and the new sink etc. before doing this. If I had written it out, I would have seen this. And I probably should have purchased / assembled my tools before beginning. So I didn't think things through and am paying the price for my lack of planning. Fortunately, this won't cost me anything but inconvenience, but there are many times when it could cost something because of a failure to plan.

April 23, 2009 at 3:28 | Unregistered CommenterJacqueline
Jacqueline,

Many thanks for your ideas and example. My projects do not require formal Project Management techniques as such, but probably a bit more of the WBS type of overview planning. I have experienced similar problems to you with AF and acting prematurely without maybe thinking things through carefully first, so I understand what you are saying. Maybe it would be sensible to get 'plan project' or 'WBS'... onto AF or DIT (which I have reverted to, again!) early in the process.
April 23, 2009 at 8:21 | Unregistered CommenterLeon
This sounds similar to the way I found project handling with AF. By putting everything in my head into the lists, it soon became apparent that there were bits and pieces of projects scattered throughout the lists and that there were elements of dependency. I do agree with Mark that AF can handle that, but for me, and I suspect many others, there is a need, or at the very least a strong desire :-), to have an overview of the project. This may not be a problem if there are only one or two projects on the go at any one time but unfortunately not many of us seem to have that luxury.

The way that I handled it was to action the tasks by taking them off the list, putting them into my PM system, analysing them within that system and putting them back into AF as appropriate. That for me enabled me to handle them well within AF,whilst at the same time enabling me to identify the level of project management I actually needed for that particular project.

For me, Project Management rarely needs to be rigid. Personal preferences may dictate a desire for a structured approach and multi person projects generally require a more structured approach, but in my opinion a lot of the rest of it comes down to personal preference. Yes, project planning is important, but the level of detail required may vary. The WBS system looks great, it is structured in a simple yet easily defined way. The method is not disimilar to my MindMap approach but the layout varies and so makes it "look" very different. Again, personal preference. Both systems can just as easily be written out in linear form which others will prefer. The data is still the same. In fact the software I use for my Digital MindMapping can produce the same data in any of those three formats and can just as easily be used as the base for a very formal structure if required.

I like the comments in Seraphim's post regarding Story Boards - the description is very akin to the Gantt Chart but even just the terminology changes the feeling about the approach.
April 23, 2009 at 14:24 | Unregistered CommenterChristine B
Christine, I'm confused about this:

"...action the tasks by taking them off the list, putting them into my PM system, analysing them within that system and putting them back into AF..."

How do you take them off the list? Do you dismiss them or delete them and then add them all together as a batch? (Assuming one was working with a paper AF list.) What are you doing when you're analysing them in your PM system? Seeing what steps you're missing? Do you do this multiple times as you're going through a project or just once? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm trying to think of the best way to get these reno projects done at a bit faster pace with a little less scattered approach.
April 23, 2009 at 19:49 | Unregistered CommenterJacqueline
Hi Jacqueline

A lot of my methodology has sort of evolved through using AF - I didn't start out intending to "create" a procedure but found that it just happened, that it worked, and therefore became a sort of procedure :-) Basically, when I was working through my pages in the early stages of AF, I would hit project related tasks that didn't jump out but sort of waved weakly (!). I realised that they needed to be done, probably needed rephrasing, but also that they were part of something else (ah-ha - that's why they couldn't jump out - the feet were on another page!!! - sorry - you can tell it's getting late :-) .....)

What I did therefore was to create a Project Page, cross the task off from AF, and add it to the relevant project page. I would then use that page as part of the management for that project and add to it any other related tasks. That task would generally be added back into AF at some stage, either in it's original form, in a rephrased form, perhaps replaced with an earlier task, or just as the entire project (for a Time Block). I don't have a hard and fast rule. What this means though, is that I can look at any project in isolation and see what steps still need to be done and what has been achieved to date.

As for how I review the projects, I have various tasks, sometimes "review project x" and some just "review projects". I will then do any analysis of the project, add new ideas, thoughts, tasks etc to that project page (or section) and make any decisions as to what to put into AF. I realise that it could sound as if I am choosing what to put into my system, and I guess to a degree I am. However, I feel the system itself has, by the fact that these projects did not leap out strongly, indicated that these are more "back burner" issues, so this enables me to keep them under control whilst recognising that they are not of major importance at this point. The "review" tasks enable the system to identify what needs to come back in.

If a more specific example helps, one of my hobbies is Family History, but Family History tasks have consistently failed to stand out. Being objective about where my life is at at present, there are other things that are more important for me to apply my time to at present. However I still want to have a good handle on my FH stuff. Therefore, as I came across any FH tasks on my lists, I could action them by ensuring they were referenced within my FH Reasearch log (or my "Project Page") and any new stuff that comes in can go onto that same page. "Review Family History project" remains on my AF lists as a task - when it jumps out I can go to my Project Management system and see what needs to be done, and either action it as a Time Block or add individual tasks back into AF.

Hope that makes a bit more sense - sorry a bit of a waffly answer ......
April 23, 2009 at 22:41 | Unregistered CommenterChristine B
Hi Christine... That Project Page, do you create on a separate page within your AF notebook, or do you go to a separate location and system?

Thanks
May 2, 2009 at 5:58 | Unregistered CommenterGordon
I just copy & past what i wrote on another thread. Hope it help.

Handling project is my main problem with AF. As you know i am fan of GTD except for the contexts. I like the way of managing infos on computers but i prefer paper for acting.

After trying omnifocus for managing project and repport stuff from AF to OF & from OF to AF i found that Macintosh page is the best way for me to manage project.

Here is actually how it works (for the moment)
My folders : AcKeyinfos (groups all my process, check list, and key document for account, social, juridical and so on bout my firm), Active projects groups projects one by one wich are active, non active idem for non activable projects, archive (all wich is archived) reference (things i may need). Everything is scanned and put in a folder.

For the project them selves its the gtd way 1 sheet page and all the GTD method
sometime including mindmap. The idea is to have the bigs rocks of the projects in the file and the deadline and start sequences in my diary.
My actions (items) are on AF except if it's so complicated then i just put all action on my project file and write on AF WORK on PROJECT XX (see NAL (next action list) ).

But now i realised than grouping my project by areas and separate file such as NEGOCIATION, WORK, PERSONNAL, FIRM, gives much better results with Taskpaper.
I can tag them so it's easy for me to work with theses areas and my diary and with the shortcuts and the research field i can find watever i want.

Of course you may say with taskpaper you could work without using AF and you may be right. But I like writing thing and i dont want to be stuck on my computer.
So often i just print my area list and it's like an AF list except that it's grouped by project.
I keep some blnc sheet at the end and repport my stuff. At night i just repport on Taskpaper what needs to be repported and edit it if necessary.

This system is not perfect but it works with me and taskpaper. I don't use Omnifocus anymore or others program such as Things or the hit list because they are complicated and diffucult to appropriate information.
May 2, 2009 at 10:34 | Unregistered CommenterJupiter
Hi Gordon

I create the Project within my Project Management system which I keep within OneNote. I promised Greenchutney in an earlier post on this thread that I would post some examples on Flickr but obviously have a higher resistance to sorting stuff out for Flickr than I thought - sorry Greenchutney!! I will readd "post examples to Flickr" to my list .... :-)
May 2, 2009 at 19:57 | Unregistered CommenterChristine B
Oops - should read "Project Page within my Project Management system ....."
May 3, 2009 at 0:56 | Unregistered CommenterChristine B
Hello Just for those who wonder what could replace onenote from Microsoft wich only works on PC if you use a Macintosh try NOTEBOOK from circus ponies. Great Soft lokks like using a paper filofax. Here is the link http://www.circusponies.com/store/index.php?main_page=videotour&sub=introduction
May 3, 2009 at 17:57 | Unregistered CommenterJupiter
Christine,
Hopefully you won't "Dismiss" the item :)

GC
May 4, 2009 at 21:02 | Unregistered CommenterGreenchutney
I won't - don't worry! I don't know why I have such a resistance to Flickr - I think it's down to having to convert files to the right format and then remember how to upload them - not a major job I know but there's just something that puts me off ...... ho hum
May 4, 2009 at 21:12 | Unregistered CommenterChristine B
I tend to outline a project on a single page whilst taking notes at meetings. I was thinking of using a ring binder for my AF list, after a meeting I would outline the tasks on the paper and insert as the last page in the AF binder, it then gets treated the same as any other AF page in my binder - i.e. a page full of tasks. I'll use pencil so the outline can change along with the project. Will let you know how I get on with this, i think the trick will be keeping the no. of projects to a minimum to avoid too much planing and not enough doing. And also following the tweaks on this forum to encourage frequenting the newer pages more often than the older ones to avoid missing deadlines.

Derek D
May 4, 2009 at 23:35 | Unregistered CommenterDerek D