To Think About . . .

The price of inaction is far greater than the cost of making a mistake. Meister Eckhart

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > How not to do things?

Anyone figure out how to use AF to *not* do things? Like not drink five cans of Red Bull per day?

I would like to hear from anyone has used *simple* methods to success.

April 27, 2009 at 17:57 | Unregistered CommenterNorman U.
Norman, it seems to me there is only one good way to achieve this and that is to use an opposing task. From a psychological standpoint, if we try to eliminate a habit without replacing it with a positive one, we're in trouble. So, for example, if you want to stop drinking Red Bull, you would add the task, "Drink a glass of water." If you want to do this several times a day, you either need a shorter AF list that will have you on the last page for a while or you could add it to every page or you could use a list modification such as has been discussed on the forum (Andreas's approach, always starting with the last page, etc.). An alternative task you could add would be to review your list of reasons for giving up your bad habit. Or why not choose both?
April 27, 2009 at 18:31 | Unregistered CommenterMel
What Mel said, PLUS:

Make a list of all of the things you will do with the TONS of money you'll have if you stop drinking Red Bull! ROTF ;-)
April 27, 2009 at 21:16 | Unregistered CommenterMike
Norman:

For the example you quote I would put "Drink can of Red Bull" on your AF list and make it a rule that you can only drink Red Bull when the task stands out in accordance with the normal AF rules.
April 28, 2009 at 0:12 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Mark, are you sure you're not a psychologist? LOL Very clever.
April 28, 2009 at 3:14 | Unregistered CommenterMel
Mark, brilliant. My next 25 pages will be filled with vices. I can't wait to make the forced choices.

Seriously, great idea.
April 28, 2009 at 6:36 | Unregistered CommenterNorman U.
And of course, once you'v been using AF for a few days you'll realise you're flying anyway - so who needs Red Bull!!! :-)
April 28, 2009 at 6:41 | Unregistered CommenterChristine B
Norman, you've brought up a good point. I should use this to keep me off the addiction of a certain forum... :-)
May 4, 2009 at 3:40 | Unregistered CommenterJacqueline