To Think About . . .

The price of inaction is far greater than the cost of making a mistake. Meister Eckhart

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > A whole new system, Mark??

Hi Mark,

You are working on yet another whole, new system? This may replace Autofocus? You must be kidding! I have spent so much time and effort to adapt my busy professional life to AF and after many problems and adjustments....and now it is working....and you tell us you may have ANOTHER new system? What in the world was so wrong with AF that you wanted to create another system?

I don't mind change, and am not that anal....but jeez....a little continuity would be nice.

-David
April 30, 2009 at 20:47 | Unregistered CommenterDavid Drake
David:

Just because I've created a new system, doesn't mean you have to adopt it!
April 30, 2009 at 23:09 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Well, yes...of course I do not have to adopt it. But my question remains -- what was so wrong with AF -- after all of excitement and hoopla on here -- that you needed to devise another system?

-David
April 30, 2009 at 23:17 | Unregistered CommenterDavid Drake
You're telling an inventor of time management systems to not invent?

I love experimenting with different systems & being productive. And AF has made a major impact on the way I'm doing things although I've deviated and added other elements. I always think there is a better way. The fallacy is thinking the better way will suit everyone. But I have to admit that is part of the drive for me.

Keep on innovating!
April 30, 2009 at 23:27 | Unregistered CommenterPeter K
Seems like a pattern here?

Mark retires - creates Autofocus

Mark goes on holiday - creates new system

I think it's awesome!

April 30, 2009 at 23:29 | Unregistered CommenterJacqueline
Fine -- got it -- you all enjoy it. I am leaving.

-David
April 30, 2009 at 23:31 | Unregistered CommenterDavid Drake
David, I really think that was totally uncalled for!

Thousands out there swear by GTD. Many of us here just didn't get GTD and came looking for something that would work better. DIT worked well for some of us here but not many. AF worked well for many of us who didn't do well with GTD and DIT. So, the hoopla.

But AF wasn't a panacea for a few of us including you and me. For many reasons, we have our own "workarounds" to get us over the hump. My hope is that Mark when he provides us with something, it will help me move to the next step/level. If it doesn't work for me, I don't have to adopt it. But there is nothing to lose to check it out, is there?

All the best!

GC
May 1, 2009 at 1:20 | Unregistered CommenterGreenchutney
Call it what you want.

-David
May 1, 2009 at 2:13 | Unregistered CommenterDavid Drake
Sorry to all. I think it would be best if I just leave for a while. Best of luck with everything.

-David
May 1, 2009 at 2:22 | Unregistered CommenterDavid Drake
Something tells me that David will be back :-)

Although I still have some issues with AF, I am nearly there. So it is daunting to learn at this stage that a new method is coming.

But it is good to know that Mark is working on improvements all the time and not just cutting the lawn, and I for one look forward to the new forthcoming work from this productivity system artist.
May 1, 2009 at 6:17 | Unregistered CommenterLaurence
In fairness to Mark, I think he's the most innovative thinker on time management quite possibly ever and certainly today. I find that I take something from each system/book and add it to what I do. I love it that a new system to try might be coming - I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas and I don't often get that feeling at 37. I doubt the new system will be "The Answer" because in reality the perfect system doesn't exist. But there will be something useful I can take away.
May 1, 2009 at 9:31 | Unregistered CommenterMan of Kent
I agree Innovation is essential.

I started my first company on my own. Whith nothing. Today it works and going from success to success. You want to know my secret ?

OK I gona share it with you :
WORK, WORK,WORK and INNOVATION.

Nothing resist to thes principles.

In Organisation system some men put some sand in the wall, some others put little rocs, others comes and bring bigs brick or stone and some gives you a huge part of the wall.

That what you does Mark, what you does is great. You brought directly a new wall and now you try to make it consolidated in such a way that it will work for times.

I am like MOK I am waiting for the christmas gift ;)) and i dont often get this feeling at 47 !

Sure wont be perfect and what else ? Everything change everytime. It's a world of movment. It's just life.

all the trhread on this forum just prouve that AF is like a diamond -. Since i used it it works. Not perfectly but it works. Today it's a bit ruff, Mark gonna cut it and polish it and make a good system.

I just wait to improove it and see how it make me more efficient and as i see i am not the only one.
May 1, 2009 at 10:04 | Unregistered CommenterJupiter
David:

<< what was so wrong with AF -- after all of excitement and hoopla on here -- that you needed to devise another system? >>

What was so wrong with the Model T Ford or the black bakelite telephone?

I've provided you with an entirely free system with free backup, which has revolutionised your professional life, and now you're getting upset because I'm trying to make an even better one?
May 1, 2009 at 10:07 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
David: Your posts on this forum, like those of all the regular contributors, have been extremely useful to a lot of people. You are a busy man, and you've been very generous with your time in describing your experiences with DIT, AF etc. This has given a valuable insight into how the systems work, or not, for someone with your heavy workload.

Mark Forster is also a very generous man, who has shared his experiences and insights, and has provided us with a fantastic system (which of course we are under no obligation to adopt).

The relationship between Mark and us is not a commercial one of service provider and customer - he is under no obligation to provide us with a 'product' and we have no right to demand redress if we are not satisfied with his product. He could easily lie back and enjoy his retirement without giving a fig for any of us. The fact that he is so generous with his time and so patient in responding to our many queries should be applauded. It's a win-win situation, where he provides new ideas and suggestions for us, and he receives feedback and ideas from us.

Let's stay positive!

May 1, 2009 at 10:40 | Unregistered CommenterMargaret1
Right with you all post Margaret ! You said it so well.
May 1, 2009 at 10:43 | Unregistered CommenterJupiter
Margaret:

Lest anyone misinterpret my previous post, I've always appreciated David's presence on the forum and will continue to do so if and when he decides to take part again. You are right in saying that he has been extremely generous in giving his time to describe how AF and DIT have worked for him on the ground.
May 1, 2009 at 11:00 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
One point for those like David who are concerned about starting yet another new system: my new system will work fine with your existing AF list, and if you want to go back to AF after trying it you can do so immediately using the same list. So trying it out will cause no disruption.
May 1, 2009 at 11:58 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
When will the new system be 'released'? I'm looking forward to it already :-)
May 1, 2009 at 12:01 | Unregistered CommenterNeil
Bring on change!
It can only better what's already a great system and give more people more options.
bring it on Mark
Cheers
Jay
May 1, 2009 at 13:24 | Unregistered CommenterJAy
Neil:

Sorry, can't give an estimate yet. A lot of systems work great when one starts off, but then start to have problems, so I've got to give it a reasonable amount of time.
May 1, 2009 at 13:25 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
I am quite stunned, I must admit, that Mark is devising another system - I thought AF was the ultimate system - I guess not.

I have to say that I keep attempting to get into using AF, having tried it so many times without success, only now to be told that something new is coming along.

I do admire Mark very much but the euphoria behind a to-do list has been very surprising to say the least.

I wonder how different the new system will be compared to the original AF - don't get me wrong, I will be very interested to see it as AF has never really worked for me at all - I have tried it on numerous occasions but always go back to DIT.
May 1, 2009 at 14:07 | Unregistered CommenterSimon H
How would folks feel if an auto company only made one model of car, even if it didn't satisfy the needs of every buyer? I feel there is room (even in Mark Forster's showroom) for multiple models of task management systems, and the "buyer" can pick what suits them best.

I also encourage everyone to focus less on "next year's models" and more on "the task at hand".
May 1, 2009 at 14:49 | Unregistered CommenterBrian
Personally I love the idea of new systems. I tried GTD, Covey, AF, wrote my own and still look for new ideas.

Lets face it for some of us there is a "hobby" element to all of this and we enjoy thinking and tinkering about productivity. Mark has generously provided AF for free and supported it with this forum, also for free. I am sure given his following it could have been a product and made him some money, but he has decided to make it free. Additionally, he has allowed the discussion of other methods to be had freely here. All this leads me to believe he is genuinely looking to help people become more productive. This is how new stuff gets invented and society improves.

thanks

Gerry
May 1, 2009 at 15:19 | Unregistered CommenterGerry
Speaking of Covey... if they didn't botch up - I mean, really slaughter - PlanPlus for Outlook, I'd still be doing by weekly reviews WITH PlanPlus today. However I lost faith/trust in Covey et al after that debacle.
May 1, 2009 at 15:32 | Unregistered CommenterAvrum
".....my new system will work fine with your existing AF list, and if you want to go back to AF after trying it you can do so immediately using the same list."

Thanks, Mark. This reassuring information is very helpful!
May 1, 2009 at 23:21 | Unregistered CommenterRobina
Mark, this is exciting news!! Thanks for continuing to work on these systems. AF doesn't work for everyone, DIT doesn't work for everyone, there are just too many personalities and job/home situations that make for some preferring one over another.

To David: Why you are so rude and condescending is beyond me. As Mark said, he gives you a free system, has helped you and responded to your personal questions over the entire time I've visited this forum, and you get upset because he makes something new now that your life is in order? And if your life is now in order, why are you visiting the forum? It's your choice to implement the systems, no one is making you do it. Personally I hope Mark invents 30 new systems and then doesn't respond to any of your questions since that seems like that'd be complete hell for you.
May 2, 2009 at 17:03 | Unregistered CommenterTK
TK:

David has publicly apologised on another thread. He was under a lot of stress that day due to work and news of two bereavements.
May 2, 2009 at 17:13 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Thanks TK -- that was touching. As Mark said, I already apologized to him via personal email and publicly on this forum. Let me know how you get along with 70+ hours of work last week, and then to hear that two people you are very close to pass away on the same day.

-David
May 2, 2009 at 20:40 | Unregistered CommenterDavid Drake
I found the initial posts even without taking David's situation into consideration hardly rude or condescending. I think he echoed a feeling I suspect more people are having. It brought up a good conversation too.
May 2, 2009 at 22:00 | Unregistered CommenterPeter K
Peter K,

Well said. I echo this.
May 3, 2009 at 0:06 | Unregistered CommenterRobina
David, I really think you have to also give TK the benefit of the doubt that you would have wanted accorded to you rather than attacking him. It seems obvious to me that he didn't read the reasons behind your behaviour before commenting, and he was saying what I for one, initially thought but didn't want my comments to go down on the web. I cannot however, stand by and not speak up for someone who has the courage to say what I was afraid to.

I think this is a good example of how careful we all have to be in communication that is conducted online or via email.

May 3, 2009 at 1:40 | Unregistered CommenterJacqueline
No, I do not have to give him -- or you -- any benefit of the doubt. If your opinion is what is going to prevail here, then I really do need to leave. How touching, Jacqueline. Your kindness is overwhelming. I hope to God you never have to experience what I am going through. Thanks for your sympathy, and goodbye.

-David
May 3, 2009 at 3:00 | Unregistered CommenterDavid Drake
David,

I am truly sorry for your loss. I've experienced many losses my life - a mother, a sister, grandparents, friends, cousins, aunts and uncles. I hope you find peace both personally and professionally.

May 3, 2009 at 3:47 | Unregistered CommenterJacqueline
Everyone:

Please remember that this is a discussion forum and that the whole idea of a discussion is actually to have some disagreement. We don't, any of us, need to take offence just because someone says something we disagree with.

I for one am quite happy for David and others to disagree with what I am doing, and I am quite capable of defending myself without needing to get upset.

"A soft answer turneth away wrath".
May 3, 2009 at 14:18 | Registered CommenterMark Forster

InfoThis thread has been locked.