To Think About . . .

The price of inaction is far greater than the cost of making a mistake. Meister Eckhart

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > AF and Projects

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to record the individual tasks associated with a project.

I understand that tasks can be entered into the AF list and actioned as they come up, but these also may be actions that are best grouped together either for efficiency or for the feel good incentive of making major progress on a key area of responsibility in one hit.

How do I record these tasks which may mostly or all be done together? Do I keep them on a separate sheet? Do I put them in the AF list as and when and then when I work on the project search them out and do them together? Do I create a separate project page (maybe at the back of my notebook) and just put the name of the project in the AF system?

Any thoughts?
May 1, 2009 at 9:18 | Unregistered CommenterChristian Selvaratnam
I keep a separate list of projects on a spreadsheet. I divide them into projects I manage and projects I do. I block out Monday afternoon's to push projects I manage forward - tasks don't go on the task list unless they take a while. Projects I do I split into simple and complex. For simple ones I make sure the next action is on the task list. For complex projects I have separate tabs on the spreadsheet and make notes/lists of next actions on the relevant tab. Now I know this isn't AF but I don't put these tasks on the AF list, I just work on the complex projects when I feel like it.
May 1, 2009 at 9:37 | Unregistered CommenterMan of Kent
You'll find that people have devised a LOT of ways of handling projects... For me, it actually varies by project. For some - like craft projects - I just put "work on x" on my list and I know what comes next. For others, I break it down by task. I supplement my AF list with notes and lists in a journal or in my note-management application (Journler for the Mac).
May 1, 2009 at 16:14 | Unregistered CommenterSarah
Handling project is my main problem with AF. As you know i am fan of GTD except for the contexts. I like the way of managing infos on computers but i prefer paper for acting.

After trying omnifocus for managing project and repport stuff from AF to OF & from OF to AF i found that Macintosh page is the best way for me to manage project.

Here is actually how it works (for the moment)
My folders : AcKeyinfos (groups all my process, check list, and key document for account, social, juridical and so on bout my firm), Active projects groups projects one by one wich are active, non active idem for non activable projects, archive (all wich is archived) reference (things i may need). Everything is scanned and put in a folder.

For the project them selves its the gtd way 1 sheet page and all the GTD method
sometime including mindmap. The idea is to have the bigs rocks of the projects in the file and the deadline and start sequences in my diary.
My actions (items) are on AF except if it's so complicated then i just put all action on my project file and write on AF WORK on PROJECT XX (see NAL (next action list) ).

But now i realised than grouping my project by areas and separate file such as NEGOCIATION, WORK, PERSONNAL, FIRM, gives much better results with Taskpaper.
I can tag them so it's easy for me to work with theses areas and my diary and with the shortcuts and the research field i can find watever i want.

Of course you may say with taskpaper you could work without using AF and you may be right. But I like writing thing and i dont want to be stuck on my computer.
So often i just print my area list and it's like an AF list except that it's grouped by project.
I keep some blnc sheet at the end and repport my stuff. At night i just repport on Taskpaper what needs to be repported and edit it if necessary.

This system is not perfect but it works with me and taskpaper. I don't use Omnifocus anymore or others program such as Things or the hit list because they are complicated and diffucult to appropriate information.
May 1, 2009 at 17:15 | Unregistered CommenterJupiter
I've found that I have to make electronic project files that include all contact info and reference material, and then use my AF list as my "next actions" list (in GTD terms). I have too many different jobs on the boil, involving too many people over too many different time scales, to put everything onto the AF list in one undifferentiated lump. I lose track of what AF entry relates to what project, particularly as I may have to contact the same people about several different projects.

Maybe I could enter some sort of project ID next to each entry, but this is an extra layer of overhead. I need to maintain a record of my projects anyway, and I like the pen-and-paper aspect of AF. So, like Jupiter, I choose electronic media for collection and storage, pen-and-paper for action. There's a small element of double-handling, but it works.
May 2, 2009 at 0:22 | Unregistered CommenterMatt C.
Hi Christian

You may find the following thread helpful on projects

http://www.markforster.net/forum/post/691561

and there are also a number of links within the FAQ thread to project related queries
May 2, 2009 at 19:50 | Unregistered CommenterChristine B