To Think About . . .

The price of inaction is far greater than the cost of making a mistake. Meister Eckhart

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > Internet Explorer 8 ?

Has anyone tried IE8? Is it an improvement on IE7? Would anyone use it in preference to Firefox and/or Chrome?
May 5, 2009 at 17:26 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
My son installed IE8 on my computer at home last weekend. IE7 refused to run on my XP machine.

IE8 itself looks like an imitation of Firefox, it's okay.

May 5, 2009 at 17:41 | Unregistered CommenterRainer
I am running Internet Explorer 8. I think it is a nice upgrade from version 7. Now, whether or not it is better than Firefox....hmmm...might start some wars here if we get into that! I do like Firefox and have that as well.

-David
May 5, 2009 at 17:48 | Unregistered CommenterDavid Drake
The only reason I ever lament at having Mac OS X is that I cannot run Chrome wthin it. It is by far the best browser in terms of speed and once google gives it a few tweaks, I cannot imagine why most folks would want to use something else.

IE is utter junk IMHO.
May 5, 2009 at 18:06 | Unregistered CommenterNorman U.
NEVER WILL. IE is the ghdgshkqsgxfq:(( program of this earth !
Lot off bugs, virus, worms, ready to open doors to every spam I hate IE !
I work on Mac so Safari is OK, Firefox is better, Chrome will be an app killer !
May 5, 2009 at 19:19 | Unregistered CommenterJupiter
Mark,

Consider that if you install IE8 you might not be able to go back ... or so I've heard. I have not used it and won't until forced to. I'm using FireFox and only fall back to IE7 when some site (usually Microsoft) won't work with anything but IE.
May 5, 2009 at 19:42 | Unregistered CommenterMike
I've been using IE8 for a while. My default is still Firefox, and that will remain. I found myself really avoiding using IE7 unless absolutely necessary, but sometimes on a whim I will run IE8. It runs much quicker than IE7, still not quite as fast as Firefox 3. If you already have IE7, I'd go ahead and upgrade to IE8. FYI, my experience with both browsers has only been on Windows XP.
May 5, 2009 at 19:47 | Unregistered CommenterAnthony
Chrome for me. Firefox sometimes. No IE thank you!
May 5, 2009 at 19:50 | Unregistered CommenterGreenchutney
IE7 is my last resort browser as I use Opera (10 alpha, if needed in obfuscation mode) else Firefox or IE7. The day after installing IE8 discovered that a IE only site was not working even in compatibility mode, so I went back to IE7. IE8 is probably a decent browser but then so many browsers are good or better.
May 5, 2009 at 19:56 | Unregistered CommenterDamien
Chrome's nimbleness takes me back to the days of lynx.
May 5, 2009 at 20:06 | Unregistered CommenterNorman U.
Another vote for Chrome here, IE too much of a security risk for me.
May 5, 2009 at 20:11 | Unregistered CommenterDerek D
Safari 4 Public Beta in Mac OS X
May 5, 2009 at 21:15 | Unregistered CommenterJMTee
From the view of a web developer, IE8 is a massive improvement over IE7, which was a massive improvement over IE6. If Microsoft keeps that up, IE10 or 11 it will have caught up to Firefox, Opera, Safari and Chrome. ^_^

Personally, I use Firefox. IE has only one function for me: Windows Update. And for that, it matters little if it's 6, 7 or 8.
May 5, 2009 at 21:23 | Unregistered CommenterAndreas Hofmann
I liked the look of IE8 when I downloaded the Beta on another PC but as it kept crashing and created havoc (total understatement) when I tried to uninstall (you can't go back) am somewhat wary. I've never been so comfortable with other browsers - perhaps I just need to persevere - but suspect I will install v8 now it is (hopefully) more stable.
May 6, 2009 at 0:50 | Unregistered CommenterChristine B
I am just testing QT web http://www.qtweb.net/, it promises!
Firefox works best for me because ofl extension called Scrapbook http://amb.vis.ne.jp/mozilla/scrapbook/ ( save Web page or a snippet, edit it, highlight, organise the collection , search, add notes). There are programs that do the same and more like Evernote.
May 6, 2009 at 1:59 | Unregistered CommenterSilvia
Mentioned this in an older post, but I too love Chrome. Haven't upgraded to IE 8.

I've found Chrome replace my use of other browsers, the speed and responsiveness is addictive. Why use anything slower.
All the other browsing I do is done in Firefox which I have packed with extremely useful add-ons. Definitely can recommend the services like Silvia is mentioning (I still use the similar google notebook even if it has stopped development).

May 6, 2009 at 2:46 | Unregistered CommenterPeter K
Thanks everyone for your comments. I think I'll stick to my present Firefox and Chrome set-up, especially now that the only site I *had* to use IE for, BBC iPlayer, now works with Firefox.
May 6, 2009 at 9:45 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
One further query:

I'd stick to Chrome as my only browser but for one thing - I cannot get Youtube videos to work on it. Has anyone had the same problem - and if so is there a solution?
May 6, 2009 at 12:52 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Mark,

I just tried it and a video played ... picture, sound and all ;-) I'm running Vista with all of the latest patches, FWIW.
May 6, 2009 at 14:23 | Unregistered CommenterMike
Big ? on the youtube not playing Chrome. Mark, can you retry this and if you don't get the video to play, can you post the URL.

Since youtube is google property, it would be outsane for it to have any problems with the site.

Having said that, Chrome sometimes acts oddly when editing gmail.

May 6, 2009 at 14:37 | Unregistered CommenterNorman U.
Thanks to everyone who replied on this.

Having researched the problem via Google, it appears that it was caused by Kaspersky Internet Security. I've fiddled with the settings and it now works.
May 6, 2009 at 16:28 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Chrome sems reat but it does not load Mrk's site quickly for me.
May 7, 2009 at 3:14 | Unregistered CommenterGery