To Think About . . .

The price of inaction is far greater than the cost of making a mistake. Meister Eckhart

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > Planning in advance (a sort-of tweak)

I have had an issue that I have lots of tasks - more than I have time for. This means that I don't always end up progressing my key projects during a day. Althoguh working efficiently, "have to do them soon" tasks were preventing my dealing with "must get these done to move forward" tasks.

I know Mark talks about choosing the next task before you leave off for the day. I have extended this recently to choose two tasks that I have to work on tomorrow before I shut down for the day. I allow myself to choose tasks from anywhere on the list. I have to work on those in an autofocus way - just do something. For the rest of the day, I work according to the rules.

This has been a simple change that has improved my feeling of achievement. No matter what happens in a day, or how stuck I get on one page, I progress two important tasks.

Hope that helps someone else.
May 7, 2009 at 5:38 | Unregistered CommenterDrCris
Hi DrCris,

This is a very good idea - -thanks for sharing! I routinely start my day with a current initiative (see other thread) and then work from my AF lists when I have discretionary time blocked off. If I do find myself in the situation you have described....and it happens with me A LOT these days, I will pick 2-3 things that I know have to be done now.

You might want to look at the tweak by Christine B. I think it is brilliant and I am using that now with my AF lists. I am finding that it helps resolve these kinds of issues.

I look forward to seeing more posts from you, DrCris. Please let us know how you are getting along with things.

Take care and best wishes!

-David
May 8, 2009 at 20:35 | Unregistered CommenterDavid Drake