To Think About . . .

Success is the product of daily habits, not once-in-a-lifetime transformations. James Clear

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > One big list or multiples?

I have been using the system since February. So far I have taken a Circa notebook and divided it into 5 sections. I work from home so I have one section for home, one section for my main website, one section for client work, one for fitness, and one for general note-taking. The 4 AF lists work well, but sometimes I forget to check one of them and something falls through the cracks. I am wondering if I should make one big list and just use that rather than separating them. Anyone else work at home and using one AF list for everything?
May 12, 2009 at 4:55 | Unregistered CommenterGretchen Cawthon
I think you have answered your own question... you have too many lists!

If you are working at home, you would probably be most successful with either one list for everything, or a work list and a non-work list. But I don't work at home, so someone who does will have a better answer.

Charles
May 12, 2009 at 6:44 | Unregistered CommenterCharles
Gretchen:

My recommendation in the instructions is that one has one list per location, rather than one list per subject. So if you work in a different location from home, you need two lists. If you work at home, you need one list. Of course some people's circumstances are more complicated than that, but the basic principle is that you should have as few lists as possible.
May 12, 2009 at 8:17 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Thanks for the replies. :)

I'm going to rearrange the pages in my circa so they are one main list and rewrite all of the "last pages" into one last page and go from there. I think that will help. I was using the separation because I wanted to focus on different areas as I worked, but the truth is I am tossing in a load of laundry during my work day or calling the plumber, etc. I don't think it detracts from my work to squeeze in home chores here and there during my work day as I see fit, so it shouldn't be a big deal to have them on the same list.

I'll give it a shot and report back. ;)
May 12, 2009 at 13:37 | Unregistered CommenterGretchen Cawthon
Hi Gretchen
For what it's worth, I believe that thinking styles play a large part in this. I've ALWAYS THRIVED on categorizing my work because I'm genetically a whole systems thinker and I NEED higher levels of stimulation to feel at ease in my own skin. Therefore, I need to see the whole picture (the reasons) and then subdivide it into goals to keep me challenged and stimulated. Another huge factor for me is that I was rigorously trained to choose goals, strategize and schedule how I'm going to reach my goals and also plan/find time to allow life's wonderful surprises to be welcomed into the mix. I guess I'm the hybrid result of Anglo/Celtic mindsets! LOL! I'm glad that I was trained how to think and do sequentially only in the manner that it serves my whole systems mind! LOL! I truly believe that genetics and upbringing factor into our current modes of being as well as decisions we've made along the way to discovering what we need to be and do to feel like we're living the most appropriate life for ourselves and our important others factored in. Passions and responsibilites must be clearly known while others are gifts that enter into our lives. Isn't it all just grand!!!!
learning as I go
May 12, 2009 at 14:08 | Unregistered Commenterlearning as I go
p.s.
Bottom line, I organize my life around my values, principles and passions. Even when I'm just coasting, I'm being driven by my meta-goal...quality of life. I firmly believe it's a combinition of my brain's genetic encoding/development, my history, my own future forcasting, and my current environment.....but bottom line, I try to live as best I can in accord with what I was made to be (my natural propensities and gifts combined). I'm humming in my goal oriented world. That's why my AF is restricted to timeboxing miscellaneous items that I couldn't put on a checklist , a goal plan or into a life category. ROTFL I always used be asked something along the lines...how can you be so damned methodical and yet be so free-spirited? I never figured out which one depended on the other. They seem to work in tandem as a sort of synergistic whole. Which came first? The chicken or the egg?
learning as I go
May 12, 2009 at 14:21 | Unregistered Commenterlearning as I go
"how can you be so damned methodical and yet be so free-spirited?" LOL - I get asked this all the time. People say I confuse them because I am so goal-oriented, focused and organized yet I can totally go with the flow and not get stressed when my "plans" get interrupted.
May 12, 2009 at 14:26 | Unregistered CommenterGretchen Cawthon
One list. Keeping multiple lists just seems like an unnecessary complication. Keeping one list allows me to action on item per day per page more easily. Never know which item will free up resistance for another. Sometimes doing a few dishes in the morning for some reason allows me to tackle the task I have been avoiding at work with ease.

FWIW. You might want to read through the forums on this subject. IIRC, most folks opted for one.

May 12, 2009 at 14:40 | Unregistered CommenterNorman U.
Hi Gretchen
Yes! I highly suspect that I was trained to keep pace with my responsibilities and developing my talents so that I kept myself current or slightly ahead..........so that.....when life offered an unexpected yet welcomed opportunity or I got highly inspired to work on something, I could set the more mundane responsibilities aside for awhile while I flowed with the surprise event or inspiration. I don't think our methodology would work quite as well if we had nagging doubts about our responsibilities. When I have the chance to either jump on an opportunity or ride the crest of the wave of creative passion flowing, I don't want the drag of worrying about the more mundane responsibilities! LOL! This also makes keeping cool in an emergency easier because our focus isn't being fractured by niggling doubts or nagging guilt! LOL!
Thank you for this wonderful post. It's so nice to meet another member of our flock!..... "birds of a feather...."
learning as I go
May 12, 2009 at 15:12 | Unregistered Commenterlearning as I go
Hi Norman
I highly respect that what you say is true for you and others who share your thinking style. For thinkers like Gretchen and me, categorizing is how we reduce things to make them simpler for our minds to process. Our default thinking and doing systems are structured differently from yours. A weak example might be.....The quote...you don't need to see the top of the staircase to take the first step.....sounds logical unless you're a whole systems thinker. I won't budge until I at least know WHY! I firmly believe that some of this is genetic encoding!
learning as I go
May 12, 2009 at 15:19 | Unregistered Commenterlearning as I go
ps.

I am not aiming to see what will free up resistance at all. My thinking style/goal orientation cues me to use resistance as a cue/goal to do it ASAP! LOL!
There's little or no use to argue or defend apples vs oranges. Bottom line, we're all getting our work done in the manner that's best for us! I found the AF list to SLOW my progress because it was too random...but, I'd certainly be a fool to believe that my response was share by everyone........only by others who share my mous operandi
learning as I go
May 12, 2009 at 15:26 | Unregistered Commenterlearning as I go
Hi Gretchen
I, too, chunk out most of my normal house responsibilities as background work with a "while I'm here, whiling I'm waiting for the water to boil, etc" methodology. I use checklists for dedicated time toward the more formalized work. I can't see myself washing down the walls a swipe at a time...but....I can see and regularly do swipe off miscellaneous hand or paw print in between scheduled cleaning timeboxes! LOL!
I figure if I'm staying on top of the superficial top cleaning and keep things current, the harder work won't get a chance to turn into either filth or chaos or mountains of laundry Most housekeeping can be done in regular bits through out the day in a hardly noticed manner! LOL!
learning as I go
May 12, 2009 at 15:35 | Unregistered Commenterlearning as I go
modus operandi
My fingers don't always work....so I usually ignore correcting myself...but...mous operandi is too far off to guess the correct word! *blush*
learning as I go
May 12, 2009 at 15:43 | Unregistered Commenterlearning as I go
I think most of my reason for making one big list is that my "home" list wasn't getting any attention until late in the evening or weekends and then some tasks couldn't be done because certain businesses were closed. And sometimes life was so busy (two active kids to shuttle around) that I didn't check it at all and then I'm scrambling to do simple 5-minute tasks at the last second because I never got back to looking at the list. I'm not really referring to household cleaning tasks. I do those when I see they are needed - I don't even write them down. I'm talking about non-work tasks like "fill out field trip permission slip" or "return call to softball coach". Stuff that can easily be handled in 5 minutes or less but couldn't be actioned at the time they arrived on my desk. I figure if I'm seeing them on a master list, I can just do them and get them out of the way well before they are due.
May 12, 2009 at 15:48 | Unregistered CommenterGretchen Cawthon
Hi Gretchen
Again, we are of like mind! My only AF list is miscellaneous stuff that isn't habitualized or planned for. Sometimes I'll pre-record the news or a silly 1/2 comedy show, and pause when there's a commercial break. I'll set the timer and start slapping at my AF list. (It's really my miscellaneous list but I now call it my AF list to feel somewhat included here. *blush*) Most 1/2 shows have 4 commercial breaks so that gives me a full hour to knock the list down using the show itself as the carrot to continue on! LOL! If something is boring to me, I have several "tools" to accomodate it. Some things need to be done sequentially and some don't. The boredom factor is my worst sticking point of most work. If I can get past it, I'm home free! LOL!
learning as I go
May 12, 2009 at 16:15 | Unregistered Commenterlearning as I go
Hi learning as I go

Great posts - you and I work so differently and I so admire your "stickability", your ability to just get stuff done regardless - can you bottle it and send me some? :-)

I think what you say about learned behaviour is so true - it is personality that defines a big part of how we see and do things but a lot is also down to learned patterns, from what we have seen others do, from what we have been taught, and what we perceived to have been factors in either success or failure.

I love your comment about "discovering what we need to be and do to feel like we're living the most appropriate life for ourselves and our important others factored in."
May 12, 2009 at 21:35 | Unregistered CommenterChristine B
Hi Gretchen

I've worked with one list from the beginning and find that works really well for me. Most of my task actioning is at home so that works well. I think Mark's point about location is important - separating by type or @context seems to make things more complicated.
May 12, 2009 at 21:39 | Unregistered CommenterChristine B
Some time ago someone (thank you, whoever you are) suggested adding work items from the top down and home items from the bottom up, on the same page, drawing a line where they eventually meet somewhere in the middle of the page. I find that this is working brilliantly for me. It is one list, but I can see what is where contextually. The home list climbs higher up the page on non-work days, and the work list grows lower down on work days. Perhaps it should be called the stalagmite and stalactite method!
Anyway, as I said, it works for me and might be helpful for those of you who need to differentiate within AF somehow.
May 12, 2009 at 21:49 | Unregistered CommenterGiulia B
Guilia:

It was a suggestion of mine - though I hadn't actually tried it myself. I think you are the first person on the forum to have said that you've used it, so I'm glad to hear that it's working well.
May 12, 2009 at 21:59 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Hi Christine
Ditto, right back at you! I, too, greatly enjoy reading your posts! Although we have different methodologies in how we organize and approach our work, I quite enjoy watching your intelligence and personality weaving throughout each of your posts! I quite enjoy the tapestry it weaves!

You stated:
"you and I work so differently and I so admire your "stickability", your ability to just get stuff done regardless - can you bottle it and send me some?"

ROTFL! I almost choked when my eyes came upon the word "just"! ROTFL! If the work is boring or I'm determined to push myself through a muddling high or mind-numbing pain or a horrific case of donkey mind, "just" is NOT the appropriate word to describe how I get things done. It's more like an "F Troop" brigade storming the Indians! We might win the skirmish, but not without a few arrows landing in our own arses! LOL!
Here's a fresh bottle of "getter done" The secret ingredient is.......
See the scut as your enemy and kill it before it kills you (or your day)....even if it's done 5minutes at a time! LOL! I wish I had a more genteel motive, but, here it is, warts and all. When I'm not up against a fellow human being, but, instead, I'm anthropomorphizing the scut work, itself, I'm willing to fight dirty to beat it down! LOL!

A couple of my motivating proverbs......

"Ní dhíolann dearmad fiacha"
(A debt is still unpaid, even if forgotten.)

Tús maith, leath na hoibre.
(A good start is half the work)

I MUST keep my conscience reconciled! LOL! ....even if it mean not allowing scut work to linger too long. I can't allow allow my own lazy attitude to best me in my deeds! LOL!

learning as I go

May 13, 2009 at 0:00 | Unregistered Commenterlearning as I go
p.s.
How could I have forgotten one of the best of all.....geeesh.....

"Molann an obair an fear."
(The work praises the man.)

My dad used to say that doing a good job is enough reward in itself and doing a lousy job or shirking will provide it's own punishment. As a child, I didn't understand it. Now it either motivates me or haunts me like a spited banshee! LOL!

learning as I go

May 13, 2009 at 0:26 | Unregistered Commenterlearning as I go
Hi learning as I go

Interesting quotes - I assume Gaelic? Is that an Irish heritage coming to the fore?

I love your descriptions - I can almost see you brandishing a broom daring a speck of dust to land!!! Your father sounds an amazing person !

I've been really fortunate to have a friend coming in to help me with some of my "scutwork" the last couple of weeks. She is a great motivator as the past few weeks my motivation levels have not been high and I needed the extra push - I'm still working my lists but as I have a lot of deadlined stuff to clear and outside commitments am having to fall back on some of those 5 minute offences. I hate that I can't work my lists properly because stuff HAS to be done - if I had the energy this week I would get so mad ..... :-) As it is I'm sharing my home with those banshees at present .........
May 13, 2009 at 0:55 | Unregistered CommenterChristine B
Hi Christine....

as my dad used to say....."BOO!"

ROTFL! When I was cutting out of my work, he used to sneek up on me and yell, "BOO"
That was the ghost of the unmet responsibility haunting my conscience! LOL!
learning as I go
May 13, 2009 at 5:04 | Unregistered Commenterlearning as I go
p.s.
No, my dad's half of the family was Anglo English/Irish/Welsh
My grandfather on my mom's side was dyed-in-wool 100% Irish Catholic! Celt! He was a wonderful, generous and loving man, but hard as stones about working hard, morality, etc....Working shoulder to shoulder with my dad was a dance in the park compared to the output my grandpa expected! Dad didn't have any hard rules except regarding human decency and human respect. The rest he taught by example. My grandpa, on the other hand, had the attitude of an overseer! LOL!
learning as I go
May 13, 2009 at 5:13 | Unregistered Commenterlearning as I go
Learning as I go:

Great quotes! Definite candidates for the "To Think About" section in the left margin.
May 13, 2009 at 7:41 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Hi learning as I go

re "BOO!" - I'm thinking I may need to buy an i-Pod!
May 13, 2009 at 8:57 | Unregistered CommenterChristine B
Learning: "mous operandi" ROTFLMAO ;-) With four cats around here that makes so much more sense as written! ;-)

Gretchen: One list makes the most sense to me, but as with you and "learning", I need to have my work organized to help me see how things relate to each other. But not in every case. So what I did was compromise. I have "sub lists" or "secondary lists" for SOME things ... those which need organizing. Sometimes I'll create those "lists" with a highlighter applied to the main list so that it is a kind of "virtual" sub list. Some of my VERY FEW sub lists are:

- Things to talk with my wife about
- Things I need to do with one of my computers to keep Windows at bay ;-)
- My tickler items are always separate so I can see the gotchas quickly
- My reading list organized a third level by area of interest
- Shopping lists (including things to order from Amazon and such)

Finally, I will occasionally create an "ad hoc list". I have one to manage tasks for an upcomng visit ... I've got to get the house more organized by next week! I will have an ad hoc list for my vacation in June. I don't argue with Mark on this kind of thing ... I really COULD just put them on the main AF list and they would not be overlooked ... my mind simply does not work that way however. I've tried and I just can't sleep at night if I don't organize things. I agree with "learning" ... it is no doubt genetic ;-)

EVEN SO ... I have all of my lists in the same book as my main AF list. That in itself provides a measure of sanity in that I don't have to ride heard on multiple books!!!! You can do this easily with your Circa system, I'm sure. I'd love to have a system like that, but the other part of my genetic makeup won't let me spend that kind of money when my pocket spiral book costs only $4.00 for 10! LOL ;-)
May 13, 2009 at 10:30 | Unregistered CommenterMike
Hi Mike
ROTFL! Do you remember the comic strip, "demando cat"??? ROTFL! It was so spot on. I just KNEW that he talked from where he walked! "demando cat!" ROTFL
learning as I go
May 13, 2009 at 14:24 | Unregistered Commenterlearning as I go
Hi Mike
Only one more....I promise......

It doesn't do to be sentimental about cats; the best ones don't respect you for it.
~Susan Howatch
May 13, 2009 at 18:27 | Unregistered Commenterlearning as I go
From Your Cat

When you scold me for leaving my hairs
On the seat of your Chippendale chairs
Or for chewing your tapes
Or shredding your drapes

......... You mistake me for someone who cares!
May 13, 2009 at 18:36 | Unregistered CommenterChristine B
Hi Mark
Here's a proverb that's quite amenable to AF philosophy AND my timeboxing! LOL!

Bíonn gach tosú lag.
Translation: Every beginning is weak.

I used to hate this gem from my dad........
"Would you live with ease, do what you ought, and not what you please." Benjamin Franklin

I believe that he was the same fellow who inspired another phrase my dad used to say as he was wrestling us out of our cozy beds at 6am......
Rise and Shine! It's the early bird that catches the worm!

ROTFL! But it still far outweighed my grandpa shaking his fist and contemptuously spitting out his Gaelic admonitions.....When my dad taught us the same in English, they, somehow were transformed into inspiration! ROTFL!
learning as I go
May 13, 2009 at 20:14 | Unregistered Commenterlearning as I go
Hi Christine
Here's an old Southern one....

The cat is mighty dignified until the dog comes by.

learning as I go
May 13, 2009 at 20:19 | Unregistered Commenterlearning as I go
There were so many times that I had to use self-restraint when I saw that maroon leather book with the gold letters in my father's library.............Barlett's book "Familiar Quotations" But, what would be the use? He had about another dozen similar to it...but...Barlett's was his favorite one.....
Perhaps, if I burned it, I could sleep in longer and work less.

My dad used to say.....You can stop working depending on which comes first: when the job is done or the sun sets! ROTFL! I used to pray for a cloud bust! ROTFL!
learning as I go

May 13, 2009 at 20:34 | Unregistered Commenterlearning as I go
Thanks, learning. I've added them to the waiting list!
May 13, 2009 at 22:09 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Hi learning as I go

Love that Southern saying - you can just see that cat .....!
May 13, 2009 at 23:36 | Unregistered CommenterChristine B
Hi Mark and Christine
This was quite fun! ...... but I was oddly struck by how my brain seems to cough up really ancient memories to distract me from the fact that I can't remember what I'm wearing unless I look at my outfit or what I ate an hour ago. It's like I have Alzheimer's disease! ROTFL! I'll have to write a note to myself and be more careful to watch out for this phenomenum lest I drive the people around me nuts! ROTFL!
learning as I go
May 14, 2009 at 0:53 | Unregistered Commenterlearning as I go
phenomenon...oops! geesh! And I can't blame my fingers on that one! My mind is so sloppy sometimes!
learning as I go
May 14, 2009 at 0:56 | Unregistered Commenterlearning as I go
Gretchen,

What I do when I come up to things like "call softball coach" when I'm working on my home list at 11:30pm is "action" it by scheduling it on my calendar for a time when I CAN do it.

Since my calendar is always looked at/actioned before my AF list, it will get done on whatever day I designate (maybe monday on my lunch break?)
June 1, 2009 at 23:31 | Unregistered Commenterpds
Just an update. I tried the one big list for the last month. Not working so well. I'm going back to my multiple lists. My work style is to start my mornings on my web site (list #1), my afternoons on client work (list #2) and my evenings/weekends on lists #3 and #4.

I know the recommendation is one list for each "location" but even though I work and live in the same location, mentally I switch gears so separate lists make more sense.

I think what I need to do is remove deadline driven tasks from my AF lists and put them on my calendar so they are taken care of on time regardless of which "location" they fall under.

The main reason for the switch back to multiple lists is that I miss being completely focused on the "location" at hand and just cranking through stuff. Having to sift through one big list looking for "client" tasks so I can earn an income is not so helpful when my time is limited and I get paid by the hour. ;)
June 13, 2009 at 2:15 | Unregistered CommenterGretchen Cawthon
Hi Gretchen
It's nice to hear from you again. I'm totally sympathetic to your logic and methodology....maybe because our brains are similarly encoded how to categorize and manipulate knowledge and needs into desired action. Everybody navigates their life according to how their minds "present" it to them! LOL! Like you, I fare much better when a have a target to aim at. It can be either a type of work to get done, or whatever work is needed to accomplish a goal. (Most of my goals can be loosely categorized into either responsibilities to meet or accomplishments that feature my values or passions as the work's matrix.
Another trouble I had with the AF list, is the continuing deciding process of "what to do next?" Deciding is a higher order of thinking and having to break my work momentum every time I completed a task to switch back into decision making mode.....SLOWED my efficiency down quite a bit! I like to have at least and hour or two of determined goals in my head to drive my efforts. I get FAR MORE ACCOMPLISHED when I already KNOW what I'm trying to accomplish without interrupting my flow with......What to do next every few minutes. Even if my pain forces me to work in small bursts or I'm corralling my donkey or monkey mind, at least my mind is set up and geared toward completing something to my satisfaction. The AF method fractured my focus and I never had that "job well done" feeling no matter how hard or how long I worked. (Perhaps my brain damage might have played a part. The list always morphed into forgotten chaos. I always preferred a definite target.....now I actually NEED one! *blush*
I love your way of expressing getting your work done "cranking stuff out"......YES!!! It's quite satisfying to feel that your efforts are streamlined and focused. It feels quite similar to playing sports. Your mind and body are in concert like a heat-seeking missle aiming to blast it's target! I actually LOVE the sensation of knowing that my efforts are going to culminate in success! Aaaahhhhhh! "......well done!" I LOVE that feeling! Many times I'm forced to settle for getting the work accomplished far less elegantly....but at least I kept my resolve intact! *blush*
learning as I go
June 14, 2009 at 15:57 | Unregistered Commenterlearning as I go