To Think About . . .

Success is the product of daily habits, not once-in-a-lifetime transformations. James Clear

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > Adding new items to the AF lst

Mark, If my memory hasn't let me down, some weeks ago you mentioned that you did not add new items to your AF list unless you were working on the list at the time, and that you did not take your list away from home. I add new items to my AF list as I think of them, whether or not I'm working on the list at the time. Even if I don't have my AF list with me when I think of something to add, I take a note of it and then add it to the AF list when I can. Is there something in the AF instructions that I've missed? It would also be interesting to hear how others on the forum deal with this. Best wishes.
June 9, 2009 at 20:54 | Unregistered CommenterMargaret1
I do the same thing. When I'm driving I use the voice-memo feature on my mobile phone to record things to do as I think of them. Then, I have a recurring task on my Autofocus list to transfer the tasks from my phone to my AF book. I try to avoid random scraps of paper to capture stuff like this, since they are easily lost and harder to work into a system.
June 11, 2009 at 19:14 | Unregistered CommenterSeraphim
Seraphim:

<< When I'm driving I use the voice-memo feature on my mobile phone to record things to do as I think of them. >>

Unfortunately that's illegal in this country.
June 11, 2009 at 19:41 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
i do the same thing witg my iphone sending me emails or using Omnifocus when it a fiture task but i dont do it when i drive ;)))
June 11, 2009 at 21:33 | Unregistered CommenterJupiter
>>> Unfortunately that's illegal in this country. <<<

This could, gasp, imply it is a very advanced country indeed ;-)
June 11, 2009 at 22:57 | Unregistered CommenterMike
Mike, we're getting there.

We also require people to wear seatbelts and stop when the light is red.

Obviously, none of the above apply to tradesmen driving white vans.

June 12, 2009 at 8:26 | Unregistered CommenterWill
WIll,

>>> We also require people to wear seatbelts <<<

We require that, but enforcement is lax.

<<< and stop when the light is red. <<<

This seems to be more of a local option. ;-) Here in Maryland, blowing right through stop signs and jumping the red, or entering the intersection on the red (sometimes as much as 5 seconds or more after it has turned red) seems to be a state sport. One hopes that the increasing use of intersection cameras will help. Most if the infractions seem to be born of frustration at peak traffic times, I notice.

>>> Obviously, none of the above apply to tradesmen driving white vans. <<<

Well of course not ... that would just be silly ;-)
June 12, 2009 at 9:03 | Unregistered CommenterMike
Apparently it's still legal in Britain to use a hands-free mobile while driving - though there's a lot of noise about the supposed dangers of this. (See, eg, http://www.rospa.co.uk/roadsafety/advice/driving/mobile_phones.htm). Actually, I'm inclined to think it*is* dangerous, considering how easily I miss road signs and turnings when I'm having an ordinary conversation with passengers.

But it's not necessary to physically record the odd idea that comes up while driving. There are several good mnemonic tricks for mentally retaining short lists of items for short periods (or even long lists for long periods).

Though I suppose memorizing something could be *another* driving distraction ...
June 12, 2009 at 10:53 | Unregistered CommenterChris Cooper
Although it's illegal to use a hands-on mobile phone, I don't think there's anything specific about voice recorders which aren't mobile phones. Though I guess the police could get you for "driving without due care and attention". They're getting increasingly hot on such things - easier than catching burglars and muggers I suppose.
June 12, 2009 at 11:12 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Mike:

<< This seems to be more of a local option. >>

It's funny how you can have the same law in different countries/states and completely different compliance. I remember 30 years ago in Germany there was a law that when the crossing light for pedestrians was green traffic turning right off a junction with lights had to stop for the pedestrians even though the main light was green for them. The Germans all dutifully complied. They had exactly the same law in neighbouring Belgium, but instead of stopping the Belgians would put their foot on the accelerator and aim straight for the pedestrians.

Apologies to all Belgians on this list - I'm sure things are different now!
June 12, 2009 at 11:17 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose. Things have changed, but some behaviours are still strange. For example, I stopped yesterday for a cyclist that did not even bother to look at the car coming at his right. Probably because he thinks that bicycles have priority on cars. Or maybe I am wrong and the rule applies only for cars.
Remembers me of Canada where perceived an outlandish: First on the crossroad has priority rule.
OK, I will put both on my AF list and check those later on on internet.
June 12, 2009 at 12:24 | Unregistered CommenterDamien
The German tendency to follow rules to the letter is quite remarkable for better and for very worse.

I applaud any place that takes driving and mobile use seriously. Texting while driving is unconscionable.

I live in a State where drinking a pint of beer within an hour of driving could put you at risk for being cited for drinking and driving, but we have no laws against attempting to type while driving. OMGWTF?!?!!one!11!!?
June 12, 2009 at 12:37 | Unregistered CommenterNorman U.
Norman?

Norman??

Oh dear
June 12, 2009 at 12:40 | Unregistered CommenterWill
Norman neatly makes the point that, regardless of what the local law says, when you're driving you should probably focus on driving.
June 12, 2009 at 12:46 | Unregistered CommenterWill
When living and travelling in the US, I quickly realized that Americans have no concept of pedestrians having the right of way at a crosswalk. OTOH, it's probably because outside of some major cities, walking is a foreign concept to them.
June 12, 2009 at 13:10 | Unregistered CommenterJacqueline
Hi Jacqueline

it's probably because outside of some major cities, walking is a foreign concept to them.
June 12, 2009 at 13:10 | Jacqueline

How, in God's name did you draw that conclusion????? ROTFL
learning as I go
June 12, 2009 at 13:54 | Unregistered Commenterlearning as I go