To Think About . . .

Success is the product of daily habits, not once-in-a-lifetime transformations. James Clear

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > Autofocus it is?

Hi Mark,

As mentioned here and as I too saw on Twitter, you stated that you were tired of experimenting and were staying with Autofocus. So does this mean the new system you were experimenting with is now not going forward? Actually, I am hoping that is the case because I am still finding AF to be THE BEST system ever!

Could you provide an update where you are with this?

Mark, I do hope you are well.

Best wishes,
-David
June 10, 2009 at 14:05 | Unregistered CommenterDavid Drake
Mark

The expectation of an imminent change to the system has kept me logging onto the site far more frequently in the last month than before!

If you are not going to announce a new system, is it worth at least tweaking your instructions to cover the issue of tasks that need to be done before one can be sure of next reaching the last page? A lot of people have made suggestions as to such tweaks; will any receive "official" endorsement?

Best wishes
June 10, 2009 at 14:16 | Unregistered CommenterJames T
If you have a system that works for you, why do you need a system with "official blessing"? I'm confused. (But then that is the normal state for me, it seems ;-)

What always strikes me as strange is that no one seems to want to follow the rules .. they have to change everything. Then everyone wants new "blessed rules". Am I the only one who thinks this strange?

I have to confess, I have had absolutely no curiosity about the pending "new" system. This works. Something else may work better ... but in the absence of that something else, this STILL works for me ;-)
June 10, 2009 at 15:24 | Unregistered CommenterMike
David and James:

The new system I was trying out did actually work pretty well, and it had the advantage of dealing with urgent items quicker than AF. However I've come to the conclusion that this is not so much of an advantage as it appears at first sight. I found that I was either using urgent items to avoid doing less urgent but more difficult tasks - or was developing resistance to the whole list.

If AF is worked according to the rules neither of the above should happen. As for the issue of tasks that need to be done before one can be sure of next reaching the last page - my experience at least is that this doesn't happen anything like as much as people fear it will. It is however absolutely essential in AF that the rules for dismissal are adhered to. If one doesn't keep to the rules, then one can't blame the system if it doesn't work.

In the case of those items which really do need to be done *now*, then do them now. What's the problem with that?
June 10, 2009 at 15:59 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Thanks for the update, Mark.

I, too, have found that items with short-term deadlines (not exactly URGENT but also not able to languish on the list for days or weeks at a time) do get completed in a timely manner, and without a feeling of panic. Yes, there are periods of days or even weeks when I have to devote most of my time to putting out fires (teaching summer school - and entire term in 5 weeks - has been one of those times and boy has everything else suffered for it). During those times I continue to add to the list and I make a point to read through the whole list once per day, but I focus on the things with the looming deadlines. And when things calm back down, I simply go back to letting the book guide my work.
June 10, 2009 at 17:25 | Unregistered CommenterSarah
Thanks Mark. Now for a review of, and rededication to, the rules. I know I'm not dismissing as I should. I also believe I spend too much time on individual tasks and don't cycle thru the whole list quickly enough.
June 10, 2009 at 19:49 | Unregistered CommenterZane
Say your boss tells you to do an agenda for a meeting tomorrow at 4:30. The task isn't urgent so you put it down on the AF list. Between now and the meeting you don't make it to the end of the AF list. So you fail to deliver the agenda. If that happens many times you lose faith in your system and fall back to old habits.

I think that AF does need a hack to deal with tasks to be done in the next day or so. Either the index card or the morning read thru the list. Or does AF deal with this am I missing something?
June 10, 2009 at 19:52 | Unregistered CommenterMan of Kent
Man,

>>> Say your boss tells you to do an agenda for a meeting tomorrow at 4:30. The task isn't urgent so you put it down on the AF list. Between now and the meeting you don't make it to the end of the AF list. So you fail to deliver the agenda. If that happens many times you lose faith in your system and fall back to old habits.

I think that AF does need a hack to deal with tasks to be done in the next day or so. Either the index card or the morning read thru the list. Or does AF deal with this am I missing something? <<<

That is what most of us do now. Is something else needed?
June 10, 2009 at 20:46 | Unregistered CommenterMike
Mike

You say "that is what most of us do now". Is that the case? If it is the case then don't the instructions for AF need modification?
June 10, 2009 at 21:09 | Unregistered CommenterMan of Kent
In this situation I figure you have two options, both of which remain true to "pure" AF, and which one you take depends on knowing yourself and how quickly you generally tend to move through your AF list.

1) If you know that you can move through your list quickly enough, just put it on the list and trust that it will get done. It is perfectly in the spirit of AF to move quickly through the list, touching just one item per page, in order to get to something on a much-later page that you know has an upcoming deadline. (In fact, I did just this today - plowed through getting a bunch of small quick tasks on early pages done and dismissing a couple of pages - because I had a bunch of time-sensitive tasks on later pages.) This hinges on having a pretty good sense of the contents of your list, which may depend on the length of your list. I have a relatively small list - 4.5 pages - and could probably name 90% of the tasks on the list without looking at it. Knowing my list that well, I also am aware that there are items on the last 2-3 pages that do have pressing deadlines, and can work the list with that in mind.

2) Treat it as a "must be done now" item and just DO it. Alternatively, but in the same spirit, treat it as a calendar item - put it on your calendar for some time before the meeting, and when that reminder comes up, do the task then and there.
June 10, 2009 at 21:19 | Unregistered CommenterSarah
Mike, clearly some people don't find that AF works for them in all situations and they're still looking for solutions and help. I'm still curious about how the new system worked - just for the sake of curiousity though.

I just don't think that there is such a time management system of "one size fits all". What's wrong with following the 'spirit of the law' rather than the 'letter of the law'? I feel that in using Simon's AF condensed, I'm following the spirit rather than the letter of AF, and it's tremendously effective *for me* - but might not be to someone else. I just want to have a system that I feel more motivated to continue working with after I feel like giving up for the day.

Man of Kent, maybe you should redefine what you consider "urgent" and 'to be done/started now' - my definition of urgent is probably anything due within the next week (at least to make a start).

In the scenario above I would have started on that job immediately as soon as I got back to my desk (and worked on it < 5 minutes). I would have done this because:

1) the BOSS asked for it = elevated urgency;
2) I could send an email off to the other meeting attendees requesting agenda items and save myself from having to dream them up; and
3) if I'm the one to be dreaming up the items, I can at least set up the structure and let my subconscious mind go to work on it in the background while I'm working on other stuff.

You could also work on your more urgent stuff in a time block or two at an appropriate time of the day and use AF the rest of the time.
June 10, 2009 at 21:33 | Unregistered CommenterJacqueline
As someone who takes weeks to get through his AF list, I would endorse Sarah's second option of scheduling the task in your diary with a reminder.

Regards,

Derek.

June 10, 2009 at 21:34 | Unregistered CommenterDerek D
Mark,

Even if you've decided to drop the "AutoFocus 2" system, I'm sure I'm not the only one here who is still intrigued to know what amendments you made...if you are okay with sharing them.
June 10, 2009 at 21:35 | Unregistered CommenterFrank
>>> You say "that is what most of us do now". Is that the case? If it is the case then don't the instructions for AF need modification? <<<

No. I don't find any need to have someone sanction what I do. Why would you feel it necessary to hold off doing what works until someone writes it down? Suppose Mark decides to keep his instructions as is ... as he has indicated he will. Does that mean that you can't do anything else?
June 10, 2009 at 22:00 | Unregistered CommenterMike
Jacqueline,

>>> Mike, clearly some people don't find that AF works for them in all situations and they're still looking for solutions and help. <<<

But the solution is there. The problem seems to be that some people feel stuck if someone does not give them "official" permission to take action. I've long been bewildered by that. I know people who are afraid to go into business until they get some kind of certificate ... from a person who never got any certificate himself. Very odd.

>>> I'm still curious about how the new system worked - just for the sake of curiousity though. <<<

I find myself not in the least curious. I do what works for me and this (with my own modifications) is the best I've found.

>>> I just don't think that there is such a time management system of "one size fits all". What's wrong with following the 'spirit of the law' rather than the 'letter of the law'? I feel that in using Simon's AF condensed, I'm following the spirit rather than the letter of AF, and it's tremendously effective *for me* - but might not be to someone else. I just want to have a system that I feel more motivated to continue working with after I feel like giving up for the day. <<<

Exactly what I do ... I modify as seems necessary.

June 10, 2009 at 22:07 | Unregistered CommenterMike
I'm always interested to hear new ideas. Some have shared further ideas for AF which are useful to others.

The new system Mark was trying may not be helpful to him, but could be useful to others in some way.

Also sharing it gives the opportunity someone to address the shortcomings.

Mike seems to be in a majority of 1 ;)
June 10, 2009 at 23:21 | Unregistered Commentersmileypete
@ Man
"Say your boss tells you to do an agenda for a meeting tomorrow at 4:30. The task isn't urgent so you put it down on the AF list. "

I wouldnt do like this but first put it on my agenda.
Then report on AF if I hve to work on it such as
@WORK/ prepare the meeting do this and that //PROJECT/ (Wed. 12 -4Pm )

In fact i realise that i report on OF LIST only things i decided to work on. Short term or medium term but future item are on my agenda or on my OmniFocus tickler ;)

The other things to do non active task are often on my project list.

June 11, 2009 at 4:28 | Unregistered CommenterJupiter
Hi Smiley,

When ever I find people agreeing with me, I review my premises and logic to see where I MUST have gone wrong ;-)
June 11, 2009 at 9:30 | Unregistered CommenterMike
Man of Kent:

<< Say your boss tells you to do an agenda for a meeting tomorrow at 4:30. The task isn't urgent so you put it down on the AF list. Between now and the meeting you don't make it to the end of the AF list. So you fail to deliver the agenda. >>

If that happens then you have broken the rules of the AF system, which say that something that needs doing now should be done now.
June 11, 2009 at 13:21 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Derek:

<< As someone who takes weeks to get through his AF list... >>

To take weeks to get through the AF list is completely contrary to the spirit of AF. The whole idea is to move quite rapidly through the list so that you get a good mixture of tasks. If you are going to take weeks to move through the list you might just as well deal with your tasks on a First In First Out basis and forget about AF altogether.

I would recommend that you look at why you are taking weeks. Is it because you are not prepared to dismiss tasks, or because you haven't grasped the principle of "little and often", or what?
June 11, 2009 at 13:52 | Unregistered CommenterMark Forster
As a general observation, I became aware while trying out my various modifications to AF that I was trying to fix something that wasn't broken. That's really why I have abandoned the attempt and have decided to concentrate on AF.

From reading the comments in the Forum, I also came to the conclusion that many of the tweaks being developed were caused by trying to fix problems caused by not implementing AF properly in the first place. That's not intended to be a blanket condemnation of tweaks, but merely an observation that often the answer lies in going back to the fundamentals of AF.

I suppose that makes me a fundamentalist!
June 11, 2009 at 13:58 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
"Now" is easy.

"When the list tells you" is easy.

I think MOK's situation is more like a DIT "Same Day" task. But Autofocus doesn't have a line.

(I still haven't got my copy back from my son so I could be wrong. Maybe I should just buy another - what would you advise, Mark?)

My gut feel is that if, like me, you're not getting through the list several times a day, you're doing something wrong.
June 11, 2009 at 13:59 | Unregistered CommenterWill
Will:

<< I think MOK's situation is more like a DIT "Same Day" task. But Autofocus doesn't have a line >>

If there's something that needs doing by 4 p.m. tomorrow, then you can quite safely put it on the AF list because you know that

EITHER:

1) you will get to the task in time by the normal working of the list

OR

2) if you don't get to the task and you're running out of time, you just do it anyway.

This is very simple, and I don't see the need for any tweaks to achieve this. It may indeed be a good idea to set a reminder several hours ahead to remind you that the task needs doing now, but that's not really a tweak - just a sensible precaution!
June 11, 2009 at 14:06 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Thanks, Mark,

<<not really a tweak - just a sensible precaution!>>

Interesting concept...

So for "Must do today" stuff, you wall off a buffer of time in case you don't get to it. If you need the buffer, it becomes non-discretionary and AF has to wait, just like with any other non discretionary time.

Yes, I know I'm thinking too hard. It's just the way I am. Sorry.
June 11, 2009 at 15:20 | Unregistered CommenterWill
A little stunned that this concept is so hard to grasp. If you have to do something at a certain:
* day
* time
* month
Place it on your calendar. Everyone from Covey to Allen support this process. When you wake up in the AM, you check your calendar BEFORE your AF list.
June 11, 2009 at 15:40 | Unregistered CommenterAvrum
Will:

No, I don't wall off a buffer of time. For things which need to be done now, I just do them now. I'm usually perfectly well aware of what they are.

All I need to do is say to myself "If I don't get the agenda started now, it's going to be too late".

Why make it more complicated than that?
June 11, 2009 at 16:04 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Avrum, one of my problems with the calendar method is that it doesn't take into account and leave you a buffer for the "stuff happens" on the day you've got that item scheduled.

Working ahead does leave you that buffer of time - which AF handles very well.

I don't think my life / work is so different from other people's - in fact, my work is probably more deadline driven than most, yet I have *not one thing* on my calendar with respect to deadlines. The 'working to deadline' mentality contributes to a lot of stress. People will play around, working on 'not urgent, not important' stuff and then get into panic mode at the last minute, having to stay late or failing to deliver by the deadline.

June 11, 2009 at 16:41 | Unregistered CommenterJacqueline
Jacqueline:

I think Avrum was talking about stuff you have to do *at* a certain time, not stuff you have to do *by* a certain time. I would certainly agree with him if that is indeed what he meant.
June 11, 2009 at 16:50 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Use your calendar to warn you in advance of a hard deadline for a task on your AF list. The amount of advance notice would depend on the expected duration of the task.

As Avrum said, this is a fundamental lesson from many productivity methods. Ultimately, the lists of tasks (whether AF pages, GTD lists, FranklinCovey ABC/123) are reminders of things to be done. Decide when you want to be reminded of them -- whenever you get around to it (i.e. on the last AF page), or on a specific day in your calendar.
June 11, 2009 at 17:17 | Unregistered CommenterBrian
Avrum,

I think we are talking about things with a deadline: they can be done at any time before then.

Mark,

Because I know that am quite capable of getting my head down into some juicy task and forgetting all about it until too late. So I'd:

a) worry about it and get distracted while I struggle on with priority work
b) drop the important stuff and do the agenda as soon as I was asked or
c) make a note in my diary to make sure I didn't forget.

c is the "wall off" option which I thought you suggested as a sensible precaution.

June 11, 2009 at 17:27 | Unregistered CommenterWill
Mark, you're right. I think I read the "DO" part of 'do at a certain time', and got confused. I thought it was referring to work, not an appointment. Sorry Avrum. :-)

Reminds me of the story of the blind men and the elephant (and Mike vs. Mark on goals), where we view reality differently based on our perspective.
June 11, 2009 at 18:29 | Unregistered CommenterJacqueline
I think Will is right about his example of the agenda for tomorrow's meeting. It does not need to be done "now". But it does need to be done before he can be sure of getting to the end of his list. The rules should be amended to cover this situation, which arises often.

Exactly what the rules say on this issue is another matter. A large number of different fixes have been suggested. It may even be that the rules should not prescribe any particular solution so long as they at least made suggestions as to how the problem could be overcome.
June 11, 2009 at 22:31 | Unregistered CommenterJames T
Hi James,

One last try then I'll let it go ...

>>> The rules should be amended to cover this situation, which arises often. <<<

Why is it that you need rules? You know the answer now and so you can move forward. Why insist that there be rules for this, that, and the other? Much of life is about encountering a road block and working out how to get around it. In the long run, we build a body of experience to help us in the next encounter ... but we don't really need rules for everything.

>>> Exactly what the rules say on this issue is another matter. A large number of different fixes have been suggested. It may even be that the rules should not prescribe any particular solution <<<

And that is my point. Different people have different methods so how does one come up with a rule? The first thing I'd likely do is ditch whatever rule you gave me and work out my own solution. My way of solving a problem will seldom be the same as yours.

>>> so long as they at least made suggestions as to how the problem could be overcome. <<<

There you go again ;-) Seriously, don't you see the flaw in that? It might not even be a PROBLEM for me. My way of working and my other tools might result in my never encountering the problem you do. Should everyone's possible problem be put into the AF description ... along with every conceivable solution? The "description" would turn into a new "book".

Maybe to reduce it to absurdity might make my point better. Should AF have these rules:

- What size book I should write in?
- What kind of pen?
- How many times a day to look at the list?

Those are individual choices we make to allow us to work the way we do best. If they were dictated, we would ignore them right out of the gate. This is a lot of the reason GTD rubbed some of us the wrong way. What if I want to use hanging files? What if I want to hand letter my folder labels? In what way does the use of hanging files or hand lettering detract from the usefulness of GTD? Yet there it is ... a "rule" which has no bearing on the functioning of the system bundled in with the things that do. A bad idea.

I know Mark has a certain kind of note pad that he likes to use. I'm also sure he has certain chachkas on his desk. Neither of those things interest me at all. They are irrelevant to the efficient use of MY system to manage MY time to reach MY goals. I tear out finished pages others keep them ... what kind of rule would make everyone happy there?

Anyway, I'll desist now. If you really need those rules, talk Mark into it. ;-)
June 12, 2009 at 10:13 | Unregistered CommenterMike
Mike:

I totally agree that you don't need 'rules' to tell you how to run your life or to cover the minutiae of running AF - i.e. each to their own for much of it. The only reason I can see for Mark to add to or change the 'rules' of AF is so that someone coming to the site afresh will be able to read guidelines that are the most up to date and have resolved any major problems that have arisen from the beta testing. Those who have been using it awhile should be able to sort themselves out without any kind of official sanctioning by Mark!

Everyone:

For the record, I stopped using AF quite some time ago. I used to use a similar system ages ago when I was employed (I've been self employed for nigh on ten years now). I didn't dismiss items in quite the same way as AF but I did used to go back through the pages to discover the tasks I was resisting and then either cross them out or force myself to do them to get rid of them from my list. Therefore later AF was good for me while I needed it.

However, now I tend only to write lists as a reminder of specific things. I occasionally use my diary/calendar on my phone for appointments and such like. As I am in the process of developing my painting with the plan to turn full time, I have simplified things down and can mostly do without a list.

As always, it's different strokes for different folks and I only use a list when I need to. I've made a strong commitment to my art now and so that has the focus of my time.

An interesting book I've been using of late is by an American - Steve Chandler. It's "Ten Commitments to Your Success" which has helped me to focus on what I want to achieve and to just get on with it. Simple really! (and out of interest reminds me of some of the ideas in Mark's How to Make Your Dreams Come True book).

However, if I were to ever be employed again (!) or circumstances changed where I had to run many more things at once then I would more than likely use AF. It's just right now I know what I want to get done so I just go ahead and do it without the need for the full AF system. Many things of course don't get done but I'm happy with that for now and will adjust later as I see the need!

The only other curious thing I've noticed since I've been just dipping back into the forum to see how others are getting on with the system is that some people seem to confuse a time management system with a life management system. There always seems to be confusion over projects. I see AF as a tool for task management whereas there are an almost infinite number of ways to manage projects and I guess you just have to pick what suits you and the project. I've always found if I get stuck on something then a bit of research will give me ideas on how to solve the problem but I don't depend on one source to solve everything for me.
June 12, 2009 at 12:12 | Unregistered CommenterHannah
Hannah:

See my latest blog post for a rather different take on this:

http://www.markforster.net/blog/2009/6/12/back-to-autofocus.html
June 12, 2009 at 14:09 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
And I thought "commitment creep" was just something my exes called me.
June 12, 2009 at 14:54 | Unregistered CommenterNorman U.
Hi Hannah,

>>> I totally agree that you don't need 'rules' to tell you how to run your life or to cover the minutiae of running AF - i.e. each to their own for much of it. The only reason I can see for Mark to add to or change the 'rules' of AF is so that someone coming to the site afresh will be able to read guidelines that are the most up to date and have resolved any major problems that have arisen from the beta testing. Those who have been using it awhile should be able to sort themselves out without any kind of official sanctioning by Mark! <<<

Thinking about it more, I guess what I'm trying to say is:

- We each have different needs and so different solutions will work for us. That implies that the "rules" might have to be minimal to allow us to develop those unique solutions.

- Mark has said that he has no plans to expand or edit his "rules". A number of us have made suggestions in the past and he has responded that he thinks things are fine as they are. So be it.

- Mark disagrees with some of the tweaks that some of us have made so he would not include those in any case, I'm guessing.

- The basic system, as described by Mark, works fine for some people.

As for the rest, I'm with you. Do what works and take from many sources. ;-)
June 13, 2009 at 10:41 | Unregistered CommenterMike
Mike:

In general I agree with what you have said about the rules being minimal, and each person needing to find their own solutions. The reason I have not endorsed any of the tweaks or suggestions is not because I disapprove of them - it's because I don't think they are of sufficiently general application.

I've also been at pains to point out where I think a tweak is in response to a problem which has been caused by not keeping to the AF rules in the first place.
June 13, 2009 at 11:04 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Hi Hannah

Good to see you back. Funnily enough, the Studio is the only place where AutoFocus has been working well for me (perhaps because being there is in itself a kind of focusing).

What I have noticed is that AF has led me to do things which I would otherwise have dismissed almost before they became conscious. I'm very glad I did them, though I suppose they could be regarded as distraction.

I think it frees up the right brain which is good for growth. Project planning with the right side of the brain? :-)

Thank you again for your book recommendations earlier in the forum which I obtained.
June 15, 2009 at 8:38 | Unregistered CommenterLaurence