To Think About . . .

Success is the product of daily habits, not once-in-a-lifetime transformations. James Clear

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > What to do with mixed page statuses?

I have occasionally had a situation arise in which I will have one or two "dismissed" or "closed" pages smack in the middle of my active pages. It's a minor quibble, but I don't particularly like having to page past "dead" pages as I work through my list.

Has anyone else dealt with this? What did you do? Today I got annoyed enough with it that I simply moved the items on the pages before the dismissed ones forward on the list and called their original pages "closed".
June 10, 2009 at 21:24 | Unregistered CommenterSarah
This happened to me too Sarah, I used a paperclip to clip them together. This was possible because I only use the right side of the paper though.
June 10, 2009 at 21:36 | Unregistered CommenterJacqueline
Rip them out.
June 10, 2009 at 21:57 | Unregistered CommenterMike
Rip them out?!? That's sacrilegious. I need them for my "You've come a long way baby" boost.
June 10, 2009 at 22:02 | Unregistered CommenterJacqueline
Yes, that has happened to me too, but my experience with that is a little different. It's a huge motivator for me to rephrase or dismiss the tasks before the closed pages. These are tasks I haven't worked on, and there is a underlying reasons for them, obviously. I may have built up resistance to them, or simply that a rephrasing will kick start the task at the end of the list.
June 11, 2009 at 7:36 | Unregistered CommenterJD
I agree with JD, it is a motivator to work on the older pages. When I used an Atoma-Circa notebook the situation was different, as I could move the closed pages away.
June 11, 2009 at 8:14 | Unregistered CommenterDamien
Jacqueline,

Some recently completed tasks:

- Do laundry
- Wash dishes
- Shop groceries
- Doctor's appointment
- Get new glasses
- Clean up bike
- Walk neighbor's dog
- etc.

Now I don't know about you, but if I found that somehow encouraging that I'm really moving forward in my life ... I'd quizz my wife about why she has not shot me yet! ;-)

I would think a better place to record life changing experience would be in a journal ... no?
June 11, 2009 at 9:29 | Unregistered CommenterMike
I dunno, I agree with Jacqueline, I like being able to page back and see what I've done (and yes, things like laundry and dishes are on my list too, but there are also things like a multimedia presentation of which I am very proud, and new curtains for my daughter's room, etc.). I doubt I'll keep an AF book after all pages in it are closed, but for the time being, I like my hardbound book.
June 11, 2009 at 14:06 | Unregistered CommenterSarah
Sarah:

Personally I leave the "dead" pages as they are. Having to page through them is an important cue as it helps me to see how relatively slow moving the earlier pages are.

I'm afraid I think you came to the worst solution. The AF process is intended to gradually increase the pressure on the slow-moving items until you either have to do them or dismiss them. Moving them up the list negates that.
June 11, 2009 at 15:00 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Heheh Mike, where are your GOALS?!?

I also don't rip them out, because I usually have a phone number/address/web site on the page. And I wouldn't want my notes moved to another section (if I had moveable pages) because I recall things by date of doing.

I agree with JD & Damien, every time I flip through the book, the pages before that finished page sit back there and mock me. Huge motivator. I also have a binder clip holding together my chunk of completed pages at the front of the book.

June 11, 2009 at 17:28 | Unregistered CommenterJacqueline
Mark, you are, of course and as always, correct. I have to 'fess up that it was only one item and it was something that I had mentally "scheduled" to do today anyway. Perhaps that can be considered acting on it. ;^)
June 11, 2009 at 17:48 | Unregistered CommenterSarah
Sarah:

... but just think how much pleasure you would have got from doing that one item and then putting circles round all those crosses to show there were no prior active pages!
June 11, 2009 at 18:28 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Mike, I wouldn't criticize your small tasks. In that little list, you've worked on your physical environment; paid attention to your physical health; done a favour for someone/contributed to your community. That's how progress is made, isn't it - Inch by inch?

"I long to accomplish a great and noble task, but it is my chief duty to accomplish small tasks as if they were great and noble." - Helen Keller
June 11, 2009 at 18:58 | Unregistered CommenterJacqueline
Jacqueline:

I agree. For some people to keep on top of Mike's list of tasks would be *really* moving forward with their lives. Only those who've let their lives slide into complete chaos can quite appreciate how much.
June 11, 2009 at 19:44 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
I don't like the added bulk of binder clips. So I clip off the upper right corner of dismissed / completed pages. This makes it very easy to flip forward to the next active page.

I write tasks only on the right-hand side of my book, and use the left-hand side for notes and scribbles and business cards and such. If you are using both front and back, then clipping the corner wouldn't work too well.

I suppose this adds another required tool -- scissors. Which can be a real pain if your kids keep making off with yours... :-)
June 11, 2009 at 20:05 | Unregistered CommenterSeraphim
Mark, the pleasure of dealing with the task would have been great had I been in a place where I could deal with it (the task was changing the sheets on the beds, which can't really be done when I'm not at home)... and the annoyance factor of flipping past it was driving me crazy. (My husband would say that this is a VERY short trip).
June 11, 2009 at 21:21 | Unregistered CommenterSarah
Hi Jacqueline,

>>> Heheh Mike, where are your GOALS?!? <<<

Goals never go on my AF list. "Actions" do ... at most "projects" do ... but never goals. ;-)

>>> I also don't rip them out, because I usually have a phone number/address/web site on the page. And I wouldn't want my notes moved to another section (if I had moveable pages) because I recall things by date of doing. <<<

Ah, I put that kind of stuff in my pocket journal. My AF list is just a "list", nothing more.

>>> I agree with JD & Damien, every time I flip through the book, the pages before that finished page sit back there and mock me. Huge motivator. I also have a binder clip holding together my chunk of completed pages at the front of the book. <<<

I don't get so involved with my book ;-) I do get a bit frustrated with pages that hang on too long. But that is as it should be, as Mark mentioned recently.
June 11, 2009 at 23:14 | Unregistered CommenterMike
Jacqueline,

>>> Mike, I wouldn't criticize your small tasks. In that little list, you've worked on your physical environment; paid attention to your physical health; done a favour for someone/contributed to your community. That's how progress is made, isn't it - Inch by inch? <<<

Yes, and that is what I put on my list ... "actions" that support "projects" that move me toward "goals".

>>> "I long to accomplish a great and noble task, but it is my chief duty to accomplish small tasks as if they were great and noble." - Helen Keller <<<

Well put.

June 11, 2009 at 23:20 | Unregistered CommenterMike
Mike, I meant GOALS - as in the Mt. Everest kind of goal I've grown to know and love. Unless you were grocery shopping for your Mt. Everest trip... And yeah, you can't DO a goal, you do tasks. That's basic Goals 101.

A pocket journal is one more thing to carry around or refer to. I don't like to bother with the overhead of stuff like that, a daytimer, or a tickler file.

If I start sleeping with my book, hopefully I'll know I'm so far gone that I'm beyond addicted. In which case, you have my blessing to host an AF intervention. Until then, I'll give you my book when you take it from my cold, dead hands.
June 12, 2009 at 3:36 | Unregistered CommenterJacqueline
Hi Jacqueline,

>>> Mike, I meant GOALS - as in the Mt. Everest kind of goal I've grown to know and love. <<<

LOL ;-)

>>> Unless you were grocery shopping for your Mt. Everest trip... And yeah, you can't DO a goal, you do tasks. That's basic Goals 101. <<<

This may be one of those terminology confusions we have so often. "Climb Mt. Everest" would never be on my AF list. "Buy new ice axe" would, however, or even "Do conditioning exercises" ... which is an ongoing project reminder.

>>> A pocket journal is one more thing to carry around or refer to. I don't like to bother with the overhead of stuff like that, a daytimer, or a tickler file. <<<

Gotcha. I find that I take a few notes as the day goes along and that I want my AF list to stay "clean". I'd never get through scanning it if I had to read all of my notes about various things. They would be roadblocks, distracting me from doing things. I'm distracted enough, thank you very much ;-)

My system is just managable as a "pocket system". My wife is always razzing me about the junk in my pockets, but that is what wives are for! ;-) I've just opened a new book, and that has made things bulkier than I like. But that has become an even stronger incentive to close pages so I can quit hauling the filled book around. Fortunately, since I trash old pages, it is really very thin. But the wire spiral still takes up space.

>>> If I start sleeping with my book, hopefully I'll know I'm so far gone that I'm beyond addicted. In which case, you have my blessing to host an AF intervention. Until then, I'll give you my book when you take it from my cold, dead hands. <<<

ROTF ;-) I know how you feel. I feel a bit naked if I find my pocket empty for some reason. Two books and a pen ... <clunk, rattle, flop> ;-)
June 12, 2009 at 9:23 | Unregistered CommenterMike
Sarah:

<< Mark, the pleasure of dealing with the task would have been great had I been in a place where I could deal with it (the task was changing the sheets on the beds, which can't really be done when I'm not at home)... and the annoyance factor of flipping past it was driving me crazy.>>

This is an example of what I mean when I say that so many AF "tweaks" are done because of not sticking to the AF rules in the first place.

You should have dismissed that page the first time you didn't do any tasks on it. From what you said in your original post it sounds as if you have gone past that page several times without doing anything on it - though I may have misunderstood you there.

Having dismissed the page, you should then have worked out why you needed to dismiss it at all. Was it because it would have been better to schedule a reminder to do that particular task, rather than put it on the list? Was it because you need to have a separate list for when you are away from home? Or was it because you have a high resistance to the task(s) on that page? - in which case how can you reduce the resistance you feel to it/them?
June 12, 2009 at 10:31 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Re the original question: I've just moved everything to 6x4" plain index cards. And it's working fine so far:

- I can get around 26 'lines' of tasks on a card, which is low, but manageable.
- I can carry 'home' and 'work' stacks, so that I have the 'home' stack accessible from work, but it's not distracting when I'm cranking through the 'work' tasks
- I can keep dismissed cards in a batch somewhere safe and not drag them around with me all the time
- When a card is finally *done*, it gets binned, and my task load is quite literally lighter
- My stack is a physical reminder of how much is on my plate, and if I'm over-committed
- It's easy to spawn separate lists if need be, like a shopping list, or a sub-project list
- For more urgent tasks, I can if necessary tweak the order of the pages, so I make sure it comes up on the next page.
- Last but not least, my nice Moleskine notebook is being used for what I intended it for: notes and journalling, not endless task lists, which always seemed a bit of a waste. And the card stack tucks neatly into the pocket at the back (or slightly less neatly if I'm over-worked!)

Ok, so it's a bit wasteful using card instead of paper, but it has a nice feel, and is actually quite a lot cheaper than most notebooks, other than the cheapest options. The trees will forgive me I'm sure!
June 12, 2009 at 13:56 | Unregistered CommenterEd C
"Having dismissed the page, you should then have worked out why you needed to dismiss it at all. Was it because it would have been better to schedule a reminder to do that particular task, rather than put it on the list? Was it because you need to have a separate list for when you are away from home? Or was it because you have a high resistance to the task(s) on that page? - in which case how can you reduce the resistance you feel to it/them?"

I do think that this was a case where I would have been better to schedule a reminder for a time when I was going to be home rather than just leaving it on the list.

As always, I appreciate your input & wisdom!
June 12, 2009 at 17:40 | Unregistered CommenterSarah