To Think About . . .

Success is the product of daily habits, not once-in-a-lifetime transformations. James Clear

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > What if there is nothing I can dismiss?

I have noticed several comments on the importance of dismissal. But what if there is nothing on my list I can dismiss?

Until recently I didn't realise it was a problem that I rarely dismiss anything. Generally I don't write something on the list unless it both has to be done and can be done - now I wonder if I should add some totally unrealistic items, just so I can dismiss them!

I do still have a problem with resistance - there are days I can't even bear to look at the list. It isn't that it's very long - I just don't want to do the things that are on it. But I still can't dismiss them - I know I will have to do them sooner or later.

Is there an obvious AF solution for this?
June 13, 2009 at 15:06 | Unregistered Commenteracedia
I think that dismissing allows to say: "Do or Die", it set a hard limit to a task. It's the last item on the page, it was avoided many times, now it's time to do it, or not; and to un-clutter the list.
When I really don't feel like doing the list I cheat and set the list in idle mode: I add stuff like: read that book, watch TV, be social, ... . And focus on that last page. This way, I miss the quality (although), but I keep the movement.
June 13, 2009 at 15:58 | Unregistered CommenterDamien
acedia:

<< I just don't want to do the things that are on it. But I still can't dismiss them - I know I will have to do them sooner or later. >>

That's what dismissal is all about. If you're not prepared to do the tasks, then they should be dismissed and you should then look at why you are so reluctant to do them.
June 13, 2009 at 18:05 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Damien

<< When I really don't feel like doing the list I cheat and set the list in idle mode: I add stuff like: read that book, watch TV, be social, ... . And focus on that last page. This way, I miss the quality (although), but I keep the movement. >>

I have all those sort of things on my list anyway. But frankly the best way to avoid resisting the list is just to follow the rules - especially the one about dismissal.
June 13, 2009 at 18:07 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Hi acedia,

I've been there too in that mode of avoiding the list - a lot in the first few months. Not really for the last 2 1/2 months though, which is interesting. I don't have a bunch of fluff on my list either. God knows how long it would be if I did!

Have you tried making use of 'transition times'? I've found that if I do something as soon as I wake up or on my way home before I really have a chance to think of sitting down and relaxing, I can get into the list a bit better.

How about chunking down? In the past, I've had to break down items when I was resisting the list or the page to very small steps, then give myself a good talking-to to get over that hump.

When I haven't been motivated for awhile, I've also given myself permission before to do JUST ONE THING - then I can go do whatever I want.

I've also hopped around when I've been in that mood of complete avoidance. I always figured it was better to do ANYTHING on the list rather than completely waste my time. (I'll get my hand slapped for that one, but that's ok). I think it's perfectly ok as long as you come back to following it normally when you're over the hump.

It depends on the nature of what you have to do, but is there a way to set things up so that you kind of HAVE to do them? I was procrastinating on installing a new dishwasher - finally arranged an appointment with a guy to come install them - so I was FORCED to pull out the old dishwasher (and buy new toilets because he gave me a deal to install them at the same time.) Suddenly I was energized by having to meet a deadline. And of course, I had to clean the house because someone was coming over too!
June 13, 2009 at 18:11 | Unregistered CommenterJacqueline
acedia, if you really won't dismiss, I would also try something like the bursts (timed or steps) in Mark's book "Get Everything Done" or this type of thing:

http://www.self-aggrandizement.com/archives/011705_kick_start.html
http://www.43folders.com/2005/10/11/procrastination-hack-1025

I like using steps for bursts rather than time.

June 14, 2009 at 2:13 | Unregistered CommenterJacqueline
"Generally I don't write something on the list unless it both has to be done and can be done - now I wonder if I should add some totally unrealistic items, just so I can dismiss them!"

It seems like you're not following the spirit of AF in how you ENTER things as well as in the spirit of dismissing things! The whole idea is to put anything and everything on it (though there are lots of cautions about just sitting down and filling page after page with pie-in-the-sky ideas -or, as Jacqueline calls it, "chucking").

"I do still have a problem with resistance - there are days I can't even bear to look at the list. It isn't that it's very long - I just don't want to do the things that are on it. But I still can't dismiss them - I know I will have to do them sooner or later."

Is this a resistance issue rather than a "I don't have the info/location/resources I need to do this right now" issue? In either case, if it really is something that HAS to get done, I would probably sit down with my calendar and figure out when I *can* do it - and set it up either as a timed appointment or just as a reminder to add it back onto my AF list (I have a separate calendar set up specifically for AF reminders).

Remember, dismissing an item doesn't mean that you are NEVER going to do it! Part of the system is going back and reviewing those dismissed items. I have a reminder that repeats every 2 weeks telling me to review dismissed items. Then when that task stands out, I do the review. Some of the dismissed items I decide I'm not going to deal with in the foreseeable future and just die; others get entered as reminders in my calendar for a time when I think I will be better able to deal with them.
June 14, 2009 at 18:41 | Unregistered CommenterSarah