To Think About . . .

Success is the product of daily habits, not once-in-a-lifetime transformations. James Clear

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > Overwhelmed

I started to use Autofocus with some success, but mainly by dumping that day's tasks onto virtual paper on my work PC - a separate list for work and personal (sometime I can knock off personal tasks over lunch).

To save IT complications I then bought a little book and transferred all the "home" list into there. Because it is now more to hand it's been updated more frequently.

The list is now so long I feel overwhelmed. I don't want to look at the book with the list at all because it terrfies me and I don't get that "aha" feeling with any of the items although I know some of the tasks will be enjoyable. I just want to have a stiff drink and lie down. Some of the items are quite significant in scope but if I break them into manageable chunks the list will just get longer and scarier.

Is there a case for subdiving items under headings? For example if I had a page or two for PC/paperwork and used autofocus to prioritise within that list, I wouldn't have to keep ploughing through all the scary stuff.

I feel really "blocked" - help!
June 21, 2009 at 9:15 | Unregistered CommenterThe Invincible sarah - not
If your AF list were a big menu at a restaurant, treat the tasks as food. You don't need to eat every dish on the same day, you get to pick complimentary dishes. A long list means you have a lot of choice, some times your choices will be mostly based on appetite and other times on the sell-by-date. Just remember to add in some desserts (fun items) and realize you don't need to eat everything, you can dismiss items like you might throw away perished foods. You can always buy more later...
June 21, 2009 at 9:50 | Unregistered CommenterPeter Knight
Sarah:

A few suggestions:

1) I don't advise dumping tasks into AF. I suggest that you start the list with a few easy items and then just add to it as you think of things or they come up in the normal course of work. That way everything on the list is alive and relevant. You might now want to start again with a fresh list and build it up in the way I've suggested. Several people who have done that have reported that it's made it much easier.

2) You sound as if you are looking at the whole list in one go, and that's scaring you. I only advise reading through the whole list if you have been away from it for some time. Otherwise if you follow the rules properly you just deal with one page at a time.

3) Read the instructions about dismissing tasks carefully. Dismissing a task doesn't mean you've failed. It is the way the system itself clears out tasks which for one reason or another have got stuck. It gives a chance to look at those tasks again and re-assess them. Reluctance to dismiss can cause the sort of problems you are having.

4) Finally remind yourself that AF never obliges you to do anything. You always have the choice of doing a task completely, doing it partially, ignoring it for the time being, or deciding that you are not going to do it at all. If you work the list according to the instructions you will never find yourself forcing yourself to do something. If you only do tasks when they "stand out" you will find that you have the energy to do at least some work on them.
June 21, 2009 at 9:56 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Sarah

You are not alone I've had this overwhelmed sensation many times. When we try and get control over our to do's by listing them it can seem overwhelming. This can be the case with AF too because even if you just look at one page you can be paralysed by the thought that there is something urgent you are missing on a later page.

For a long time I looked for the perfect time management system to help me out. I've realised recently that this is a game I play with myself to avoid doing stuff. I surround myself with vast lists of tasks to avoid something deep down I'd don't want to do. This is something to think on.

In the meantime what would I do.....

1. Remove anything from the list that is a "nice to do" onto a separate list. This includes good idea tasks. I think AF works well as device to run the "nice to do" list.

2. Everything that's left I'd separate as far as possible into 6 to 8 groups (eg marketing, cleaning, helping mum). For each group put a circle around the task that needs doing next.

3. Some tasks need to be done routinely so put those on a daily list (don't have too many) or weekly list (to do on Monday afternoon). I include stuff I am waiting for from others on my weekly list so I follow up.

4. Now look at the tasks not in groups or routine lists. I'd start at the top of this list and do the task or put it on the "nice to do list" or cross it off.

I then do whatever I want but have this structure to support me. Now for all that I have an hour and twenty minutes before I serve my father's day lunch and the flat needs cleaning, starter and dessert need preparing...... Better get started cos I got up early to get it all sorted and mysteriously spent an hour in a cafe sipping coffee - how did that happen?
June 21, 2009 at 10:58 | Unregistered CommenterMan of Kent
Sarah, I wrote a lot about your problem. It nearly made me near to quit AF.
Anayway i found a solution wich suits me.

Basically the idea is to keep AF only for what yout want to work on and externalise evetrything somewhere else.

I mean future item, i dont know items, may be items, projet notes.

Then everyday put into Af after a daily review all you decides to work on

Then you use AF as a super do do list where all things you write are things you really want to work on. No priority, no project, may be some context such as call.

i DISSMISS TASK EVERYWHERE; I, my AF and in my personnal management system

Hope it help ;))
June 21, 2009 at 12:53 | Unregistered CommenterJupiter
Man of Kent:

<< I think AF works well as device to run the "nice to do" list. >>

AF works even better on the nasty items too, but you have to give it a chance to do so. Using a different system for the difficult items usually means you will avoid using both systems - perhaps by spending an hour sipping coffee in a cafe.
June 21, 2009 at 13:05 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Jupiter:

You might have found an easier solution just by starting your AF list again in the way I outlined to Sarah. Several people on this Forum have found that this solves their problem with a list that has become unmanageable. Usually the list becomes unmanageable because too much has been dumped into it too soon.
June 21, 2009 at 13:11 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Sarah: Mark's already given very sensible pointers, which I'd agree with. I'd just re-emphasise the point on dismissal. If it helps, think of an 80:20 rule of thumb: only 20% of the tasks on your list are the ones which will produce the most results. The rest is really filler: little tasks you need to do to keep your life ticking over along with random ideas, over-ambitious make-believe and hair-brained nonsense.

The great thing about AF is that you don't actually need to decide what category your 'stuff' falls into now (contrary to what Jupiter was suggesting) - the system sifts through things for you. It can be overwhelming when you think you have to actually *do* all the stuff on your list though - and it helps to remember that most of it will turn out to have been unimportant - even if it doesn't seem that way now.
June 21, 2009 at 13:14 | Unregistered CommenterEd C
Sarah, how many active pages do you have?

I had the same feelings of overwhelm as it sounds like you do when I got up to a certain number - that was around 25 pages at the time. I have found that anything over 15 pages triggers that overwhelmed feeling of "I have too much to do! I'll never be able to do all this!", which made me want to avoid the list altogether. So I deliberately keep my number of pages manageable - around 10 or so.

To combat this, I've used planned days of the week to close off older pages - which have less outstanding items, and usually ones that I'm resisting, and do something/ ANYTHING to move them forward so I can close off the page. Or dismiss, of course. I've dismissed a lot in the past (some 1/2 pages are highlighted), not so much now.

When I come across a task that is significant in scope, I usually don't break it down into all the various tasks at one go. I used to do that, and would create dependencies for myself that couldn't actually be done right at that time. I will break it down onto a separate checklist if it's something I want to complete in one session. I'll usually write it down as:

- Repair fence - measure boards to be replaced

When I complete that task, I put the next step down as part of the sub-project. (Repair fence - pick up boards at store). The projects may move along more slowly than I would like sometimes, but they're getting done painlessly now and that's what's important.

One thing I absolutely wouldn't do is subdivide. I haven't done this, but my guess is you might avoid whole sub-sections (I know I would). It's part of the beauty of AF that you can come to a page and have a large variety of things to do - cleaning, repairs, shopping, reading, errands, decluttering, exercising, cooking, computer work, filing, paying bills...

So go lay down and have that stiff one, but do it AFTER you give yourself the gift of just one item or 10 minutes with the list. And then get back up and do it again and again.

June 21, 2009 at 13:54 | Unregistered CommenterJacqueline
Sarah, one other thing I thought of...

Say you wanted to lose 50 pounds - if every day you woke up and said to yourself "I have to lose 50 pounds", you would probably want to go inhale cookies and have to lose 60 pounds eventually.

But at places like Weight Watchers, you focus on 5 pounds (you even get a star!) and then 10% goals - small goal posts that are achievable in a reasonable time frame. You take your mind off of the bigger picture that way and don't get overwhelmed at the enormity of your goal.

You also have your daily/weekly goals to reach for in those systems - just track your points/calories today. Build up your exercise points for the week. Those are process targets, not outcome targets and will lead to the goal being completed naturally and painlessly.

Try looking at AF the same way. Today, just focus on one page. This week, just get all the way through the list.
June 21, 2009 at 14:41 | Unregistered CommenterJacqueline
Hi there
I too have felt the same overwhelm sometimes.
AF is a large "inbox" of all the things you wish you could do if there were no constraints.
But there are always limits.
So take joy in dismissing ruthlessly everything you need to in order to get some control
of ur list.
Put everything you feel you can humanly achieve onto a new page
and start there.
And perhaps make "review ruthlessly dismissed items at a more practical time"
on your list
cheers
jay
June 21, 2009 at 19:23 | Unregistered CommenterJay