To Think About . . .

Success is the product of daily habits, not once-in-a-lifetime transformations. James Clear

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > 10 Year Journal

I have been getting so much pleasure and useful information out of this forum and from DIT and more recently GED - thank you to everyone who posts here regularly and to Mark for coming up with these wonderful systems. I tried AF in January and failed miserably, but recently just found myself slipping back into the system and finding it much easier to work with this time round.

Anyway reason for the post, I wanted to share about the 10 year journal which is a fabulous paper-based journal for busy people, so those of you who like your spreadsheets might not find it useful, but if you are like me (I've been a FLYbaby for 7 years and scrapbooking for 8 years) and like to use paper but don't have masses of time to journal your day, like to make goals and keep track of things in your life, you may like this:

http://www.journal10.com

I was recommended it by a friend in the States and bought one about a year ago. I have all my goals for last year in there, and when I accomplished them. Have set out goals for this year and some for future years. Big things and little things get listed - like go to New York, visit Stonehenge - two places I have never been to. Go to a live recording of "Have I Got News for You", punting on the river Cam - that ended up with 10 members of my husbands family in a punt because it was on my to do list. I love making goals and found an earlier thread on the subject very interesting to read - so thanks again to all of you who provoke thought in my simple little brain - it is appreciated. :-)

Looking forward to AF V2.
June 25, 2009 at 22:26 | Unregistered CommenterStephanie
Stephanie:

I'll second your praises of Journal 10+. I started mine on June 8th and am really enjoying it. Since there are only four lines per day, it's much easier to keep up than a conventional journal. I haven't yet used the goals portion, but your post inspires me to start filling a few in.
June 26, 2009 at 10:52 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
This is the first I've heard of this product, and it looks amazing. I'm so happy to discover it! Thanks, Stephanie!
June 26, 2009 at 21:45 | Unregistered CommenterClaudia
Nice to see this in a book format. I may get a few copies for myself and my children.

I've been using this concept at work for years. I used to have a manager who didn't really understand my work, and at the end of the month / quarter / year, always seemed to be questioning whether I was actually *doing* anything. So I started keeping a weekly log. Every week, I'd write just one or two lines about what I had done that week -- especially project completions or other milestones.

Then, when those inevitable questions came up, "So, what WERE you doing this last quarter, ANYWAY?" It was easy to give an immediate and complete answer, with all the accomplishments, projects completed, objectives met, difficulties overcome.

It worked so well that I've kept it up as a habit ever since, and it's become a terrific team communication tool. Also, it's very useful for compiling monthly status reports, annual reviews, and so on.
June 27, 2009 at 6:52 | Unregistered CommenterSeraphim
Seraphim:

According to the makers, the real interest in this journal comes when you have been writing it for at least a year because then you can read what you were doing on that same day every previous year. So the journal is not just a way of recording each day but also of systematically reminding yourself about what you have done in the past.
June 27, 2009 at 8:58 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Yes, I read the website, looks very interesting! I ordered one of the older copies to give it a test drive. Thanks!
June 27, 2009 at 19:52 | Unregistered CommenterSeraphim
Mark:
What a coincidence that you just got yours this month! I am just coming up to the end of my first year, so in August I will start being able to review the previous year. It is a testament to the Journal that I have actually managed to keep it going for a year. Unheard of with other journals.
Thank you for AF2 - I think it will work for me as I did struggle with dismissals.

Seraphim:
I hope you enjoy completing yours when it arrives - from memory, delivery wasn't too long. I am buying one for my friend for her 40th birthday, which is what prompted me to share with the group.
I like your idea of logging your work activities - what a great tool to have in your box when you get asked questions like that!

Claudia:
Enjoy! And thank you for being so excited about it.

I was a bit nervous about posting about the journal. So thank you to all of you for responding to my first ever thread anywhere :-)
June 27, 2009 at 21:43 | Unregistered CommenterStephanie
Stephanie, I have also ordered one after reading your post and reviewing the site, it looks a great tool and a really easy way to record those memories. I REALLY REALLY wish I had known about it when my daughter was born, as I tried to keep a more traditional journal and there are many gaps. It would make a great present for any new parents as a simple and effective way to record their childs first years.

Thank you for sharing it with us. I am looking forward to using it at a time of great positive change for me and my family which will be lovely to look back on.

June 28, 2009 at 14:16 | Unregistered Commentertitch
I bought mine in 2004 and I'll tell you, it's always eye-opening to read what happened 3, 4, 5 years ago -- it didn't seem like my eye operation was that long ago! Oh, *that's* when we saw that movie! During my wife's illness in 2005, I kept track of the doctor visits and so on. Reading those entries today, with the benefit of hindsight and time, is an unusual experience.

If you're diligent about writing things down everyday, it's fascinating to see the story of your life played out day by day. You'll have forgotten a lot. Find a single telling detail to write down, and it will bring the whole experience back (which is a good fiction writing exercise, BTW). I go through periods when I don't write in it, and then periods when I'm good about writing things down. I keep on my desk by my computer to prompt me.

I sometimes will track my weight, the temperature, books read, Netflix movies seen, etc. I don't tend to write down world events or news stories; for some reason, the outside world doesn't make its way into my book. It's rather like what Feltron does with his annual infographics annual report on the number of steps he's walked, number of his sick days that year, etc. Here's his 2008 report: http://feltron.com/index.php?/content/2008_annual_report/

June 28, 2009 at 15:08 | Unregistered CommenterMike Brown