To Think About . . .

Success is the product of daily habits, not once-in-a-lifetime transformations. James Clear

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > Continuous tasks in AF2

Hi everyone,

I see a potential problem with long projects / tasks in AF2. For example if I have a big project A and big project B, I would add them both to the end of the list. It would look like this:

<--some other tasks -->
Project A
Project B

I start working on B. After some time I would get enough of it and mark it as completed. But it's a long project and it's not really completed, so I would reenter it at the bottom. Then I would switch to project A and work in the same manner. The problem is that after completing A I might be really tempted to switch to B again. The result might look like this:

<--- some tasks --->
Project C
<--- some more tasks --->
Project A (attended)
Project B (attended)
Project A (attended)
Project B (attended)
Project A (attended)
Project B (attended)
Project A
Project B

Projects A and B would capture most of my attention while C somewhere in the middle gets ignored. This probably happens due to switching over to an open list instead of using a closed one.

In AF1 I had a different problem when after completing a portion of project A on page 3 I would reenter the next portion at the end of the list on page 5. It took too long to get to the next part. Now if I could combine the best parts of AF1&AF2...
June 28, 2009 at 9:50 | Unregistered CommenterTamagochi
I'm not sure this is a problem. If you read through the entire list at the start of the day and then realize that Project C is becoming important, you would feel inclined to do something towards it even if every other item on your list was A & B related...assuming A & B were less important to you in that moment.
June 28, 2009 at 10:19 | Unregistered CommenterFrank
Tamagochi:

I think I agree with Frank. If Project C is becoming urgent then it should have registered as such in your mind, and you will be drawn to do it. If it's not urgent, then it doesn't really matter.
June 28, 2009 at 10:26 | Registered CommenterMark Forster