To Think About . . .

Nothing is foolproof because fools are ingenious. Anon

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > What are your "Two Things" about productivity/time management?

In my comment to Avrum's post on Oliver Burkeman's new book, I included a link to one of Burkeman's columns that I found fascinating: http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2012/feb/24/two-things-to-know-oliver-burkeman

The short of it is: "Is it true that for every subject, there are only two things you need to know?"

Burkeman explains that boiling a subject down to 2 things "forces [people] to extricate themselves from the weeds of detail and see the terrain of their own expertise afresh. The question gets you back to basics..."

Burkeman's own two things related to productivity: "About a third of the self-help books that cross my desk could be distilled to two things: first, if you can tolerate a little discomfort, you can achieve almost any goal; and second, it's amazing the lengths we'll go to to avoid discomfort."

My own personal time management 2 things would be (for today, anyway):
1. You can't put a quart in a pint pot.
2. Work with yourself and your rhythms, not against yourself and your rhythms.

It's easy to become rather glib with this exercise and generate rather neat self-contradictory statements. But come on, this is intended to be a *fun* thought experiment, people :)

What would be your 2 things?
August 9, 2021 at 17:29 | Unregistered CommenterMike Brown
You need good goals in life. A goal is a good one if it needs you.
August 9, 2021 at 18:46 | Unregistered CommenterChristopher
For me (not necessarily for thee)

1. Weekly Reviews/Plan etc are critical
2. Know and befriend your emotional touchstone(s) ** in whatever you do

** "An emotional touchstone is the emotional, juicy center of what you want. What you really want from a goal. The essence." - Barbara Sher
August 9, 2021 at 20:04 | Registered Commenteravrum
I think Oliver Burkeman got it right:
August 10, 2021 at 16:07 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Mark:

"I think Oliver Burkeman got it right"

I agree - at least in the are of family/marriage psychotherapy. My clients who can tolerate "pain for growth" make the best use out of therapy.
August 10, 2021 at 16:20 | Registered Commenteravrum
I need a goal/target and a plan
August 11, 2021 at 5:27 | Unregistered CommenterJacey Vu
1. Be kind to your future self
2. Forgive your past self
August 11, 2021 at 15:08 | Unregistered Commentervegheadjones
vegheadjones, you reminded me of ryans01's celebrated post on reddit, which is over 7 years old now. It got 10,000+ upvotes.

https://old.reddit.com/r/getdisciplined/comments/1q96b5/i_just_dont_care_about_myself/cdah4af/

I'll summarize:

1. No more zero days (A zero day is when you don't do a single thing towards whatever dream or goal or want or whatever that you got going on) [I think this also ties in to things like atomic habits and "just get out the folder", little and often, etc. Personally, I have never been able to stick to doing a little of anything every day.]

2. Similar to what you said: Be grateful to the 3 you's: Be grateful to the past you for the positive things you've done. And do favours for the future you like you would for your best bro.

3. Also similar to what you said: Forgive yourself. [See ryans01's post for examples within this framework.]

4. Exercise and Books. Exercise for future you. "As for books, almost every thing we've all ever thought of, or felt, or gone through, or wanted, or wanted to know how to do, or whatever, has been figured out by someone else. Get some books. [...] [Reading] gets you to the next level that much faster." [I think the point of this rule is about what type of things you should spend your free time on, utilizing the other rules.]
August 11, 2021 at 23:33 | Unregistered CommenterDon R
1. Know your whys. (and know you're wise?)

When you figure out what motivates you and what doesn't, and what outcomes you wish to have, then What you want to accomplish will become apparent. And things that aren't relevant get discarded.

2. Plan your hows.

Since you know What you want, figure out how. And keep the Why-power in view so you will have the motivation to do it.

These were not how I thought a year ago.
August 13, 2021 at 13:56 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
For me, there are two rules for my time management:
- Always schedule and plan what is going to do daily.
- Review my work weekly and revise it
August 15, 2021 at 14:03 | Unregistered CommenterJacey Vu
This sounds like a fun way to articulate one's philosophy!

Here's mine:

1. Yes Yes Yes, Yes Yes, Yes in the beginning
2. Later No, No No, No No No...

Start small & experiment with things you want to do
Later say no to avoid distractions & ideas however good and exciting they may seem.
August 16, 2021 at 10:28 | Unregistered CommenterSathya
Two good, Alan:
1. Know your whys.
2. Plan your hows.
August 18, 2021 at 17:57 | Unregistered CommenterZane
1. Know where you are
2. Decide where you want to go
August 19, 2021 at 10:19 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
For me, in time management, I have only one thing, and it's a question:

What do I do now?
August 20, 2021 at 3:41 | Unregistered CommenterPaul MacNeil
1. Train yourself so you are able to do every task the first time you look at it, no matter how hard or uncomfortable it is - especially when some resistance creeps in and tempted to defer it.

2. Work from the oldest so everything is up to date and aim to have nothing older than a few days.

Easier said than done of course....but I can do it consistently now. It has been a monumental struggle but so worth it. Don't have to worry about having any systems as I just plough through everything.
August 20, 2021 at 15:25 | Unregistered CommenterMrDone
MrDone:

<< I can do it consistently now. It has been a monumental struggle but so worth it. >>

Congratulations! That is a tremendous achievement - and better than I have ever succeeded in doing myself!

A few questions:

1) In most people's lives there are many tasks which need to be done quicker than a few days. How do you handle those?

2) Also most people have tasks or projects which can't be done in one go, or if they were they would hold everything else up for an unacceptably long period. How do you split this type of project down (assuming you have any)?

I'm not asking these questions just to be difficult, but because I used much the same method about forty years ago for a short period, but never succeeded in integrating 1) and 2). My solution many years later was "Do It Tomorrow", which uses three priorities "Immediate", "Same Day" and "Everything Else"
August 20, 2021 at 16:53 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Hi Mark, I would say I’m quite a typical person with a fair share of urgent items and deadlines.
However I don’t have many things that must truly be done immediately, or more importantly I don’t succumb to doing things out of sequence without good reason.
With projects and longer tasks I have a good schedule system to feed in tasks. Eg every month I have a group of tasks that must be done be a certain date. I add 5 to the list each day and they are always done in time. A bit like a shredder- feed in 5 bits of paper and all ok. Feed in 20 and a jam.
One more point on doing things oldest first is that it only works if kept up to date. There are times when too much comes in and things get old so urgent/ deadlines can be missed. A quick switch to simple scanning sorts that out.
The main break through for me is being able to “just do it”
August 21, 2021 at 8:15 | Unregistered CommenterMrDone
MrDone:

I like the shredder analogy, speaking as someone who frequently jams his!
August 21, 2021 at 12:15 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
MrDone,

Like Mark, I'm intrigued by your approach (and a bit envious!).

Perhaps at some point you could share a few more details of your system. Is it one long list, worked FIFO (as much as possible)? Do you reenter tasks after working on them as in Mark's systems? How do you handle recurring tasks? etc.
August 21, 2021 at 16:42 | Registered CommenterBelacqua
Belacqua: yes it is pretty basic - long list, FIFO, try to do task in one go and planner/calendar feeds future tasks in at the right time. Simple as that.
Another benefit of fifo is that you can always tell if you are falling behind and either need to up the time input or reduce commitments. Also I can reliably let someone know when a job will be done. If things are done out of sequence it just pushes everything back. So great for planning.
I suppose I’m using Mark’s Do It Tomorrow & GIRKIR principles and i have stuck to it since lent challenge. It has morphed into the simplest fifo system over time. I like the structure fifo gives me - no room for procrastination, going off at tangents etc. I don’t have a boss so no one to answer to hence I need something that keeps me on the right path.
August 22, 2021 at 9:04 | Unregistered CommenterMrDone
PS if anyone wants a challenge try doing 100 tasks in fifo order.
It is extremely difficult, but hopefully you will clear something you have been putting off for ages and will feel so much better after…
August 22, 2021 at 9:11 | Unregistered CommenterMrDone
MrDone - re: "and planner/calendar feeds future tasks in at the right time".

This is something I always struggled with because I never had a good system for it. I'm now using Obsidian, and putting tasks on future days, rather than at the end of one long list, has made a huge difference. Especially near the end of the day when I need to add tasks that I know won't get done that day.

An Obsidian/FVP link is here: http://markforster.squarespace.com/forum/post/2782894
August 22, 2021 at 13:54 | Unregistered CommenterZane
MrDone,

Interesting! Thanks for sharing these added details.

I was a little surprised to learn that (near) straight FIFO can work for some people--but glad to hear that it's working well for you.

Don't knock it until you try it, I guess!
August 22, 2021 at 15:33 | Registered CommenterBelacqua
Belacqua:

<< I was a little surprised to learn that (near) straight FIFO can work for some people >>

A popular system often used by followers of this blog is The Random Method. ( http://markforster.squarespace.com/blog/2014/1/22/random-time-management.html ). A common remark is that it removes almost all resistance.

This is very similar to FIFO as the user has no control over the order in which they do tasks and just has to do whatever the system presents to them next.

if the Random Method works (which it does), then I see no reason why FIFO shouldn't work just as well.

However a similar method which works in much the same way but gives the user a lot more control over timing is the "Halving" method which i describe here: http://markforster.squarespace.com/blog/2013/5/20/another-simple-and-effective-method.html
August 22, 2021 at 21:32 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Hi Mark,

I'm a fan of your Randomizer system; I've had some great results with it. I admit, though, that I haven't been able to use it long-term. I've found that after, say, a month, resistance to the compulsory task selection tends to creep in. But it's a powerful system, and I'll probably try it again in the future. With a second or third try one sometimes gets a different outcome (i.e., the problem is me, not the system).

I haven't tried "Halving" yet. As always, we're royally spoiled for choice here. So many options!
August 23, 2021 at 16:10 | Registered CommenterBelacqua
Belacqua:

I'm in the process of writing a new system which combines Randomizer with Halving to great effect (so far).
August 24, 2021 at 8:40 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Randomly rediscovering the power of FIFO
Because of the decision fatigue that accompanies SS or AF.

MrDone: Curious to hear more about your FIFO system.
Inspired by Neville's task list, I am also hiding the tasks below with a sticknote and just doing FiFo.

https://copywritingcourse.com/blogs/93-best-to-do-list/

Would also like to how Mark things about it :)
I'm glad that you are able to make the connect between FiFo and Random Method.
Just checking out halving method now :)
September 24, 2023 at 7:13 | Unregistered CommenterSathya