To Think About . . .

The price of inaction is far greater than the cost of making a mistake. Meister Eckhart

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > How to make decisions intuitively - from the 'Decison book'

THE THEORY OF UNCONSCIOUS THINKING
HOW TO MAKE DECISIONS INTUITIVELY
It is tempting to believe that good decisions are the result of systematically thinking things hrough – and indeed, if the decision is a relatively straightforward one, impartially weighing up the pros and cons is likely to lead to the right outcome. However, if the decision is more complex and there doesn’t seem to be an obvious answer, it is worth taking a break from thinking. Rather than trying to rationally weigh up all the arguments and information, trust your intuition. That may sound paradoxical, but the unconscious is better at sifting through large amounts of data.

But how do you turn off the rational side of your brain? The psychologist Gerd Gigerenzer suggests the following intriguingly simple trick: if you can’t decide between two options, toss a coin.
While it is spinning in the air, you will probably sense which side you want to land face up. You then don’t even need to look at the actual result.
The idea is to switch off the rational side of your brain and get in touch directly with your innermost desires and experiences. On the opposite page you will find a second method.

Intuition is knowledge that we feel but cannot explain.

Method for making an intuitive decision
based on a method by Ap Dijksterhuis and Zeger van Olden

1. What is the decision you have to make?

2, Sikve the following anagrams
(anagram -> hint -> solution)

TABLE -> animal noise -> (BLEAT)
PLATE -> flower part -> ______
SILENT -> take notice -> _______
WARD -> illustrate -> _______
SHORE -> animal -> ________

3. Now write down your decision

This method is designed to stop the brain from thinking, so that the unconscious can be activated. Don’t think about whether it’s nonsense – just try it out!

- From 'The Decision Book' by Krogerus, Mikael

What do you guys think?
November 21, 2021 at 16:51 | Unregistered CommenterSathya
Sathya:

I use the first (the coin toss) a lot already, and it's very effective.

But I've never tried the anagram methods. One needs a constant supply of anagrams. Do D and O suggest a source?

I thought "sikve" was an anagram until I realized that i and k were each one character to the left on the keyboard. Was that intentional?

http://markforster.squarespace.com/blog/2006/9/14/making-decisions.html
November 21, 2021 at 22:15 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Mark, a typo for "solve"?
November 22, 2021 at 11:09 | Unregistered CommenterLenore
Lenore:

<< Mark, a typo for "solve"? >>

Yes, that's what I thought too. i is one character to the left of o and k is one character to the left of l on the standard keyboard.
November 22, 2021 at 13:41 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Sathya:

I wrote nearly thirteen years ago about how you can use Autofocus to make decisions:

http://markforster.squarespace.com/blog/2008/12/23/autofocus-the-book-selection.html

Basically you put all the choices you have into the system and let it sort them out for you. It proved remarkably effective - and surprisingly quick too. As far as I can remember, I succeeded in finishing every book it selected for me.
November 22, 2021 at 16:22 | Registered CommenterMark Forster