To Think About . . .

The price of inaction is far greater than the cost of making a mistake. Meister Eckhart

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > Mark Forster equivalent of David Allen's Horizons of Focus ?

In the book "Making It All Work" by David Allen, on page 297-298, there are six horizons of focus.
This is covered in detail from pages 200-265.
From highest altitude to lowest altitude:

1. Purpose and principles
2. Vision
3. Goals
4. Areas of Responsibility
5. Projects
6. Actions

Is there anything equivalent or comparable in any of Mark Forster's blog or books?
I have not read all of Mark Forster's books, and it is likely that he has dealt with this.
December 11, 2022 at 4:09 | Unregistered CommenterMark H.
Not sure if this addresses your question, and these are several years old posts.

Goalless living? - Blog - Get Everything Done
http://markforster.squarespace.com/blog/2008/1/11/goalless-living.html

Top 10 Tips for Keeping Your Life Moving - Blog - Get Everything Done
http://markforster.squarespace.com/blog/2006/12/19/top-10-tips-for-keeping-your-life-moving.html
December 11, 2022 at 14:19 | Unregistered CommenterMike Brown
Mark F. has always had a more fluid approach to integrating what GTD would call the various horizons. Long list methods are intended to have both "Ground Level" and "50,000 Feet" stuff and everything in between put on the list, both in the form of questions and in the form of statements, goals, outcomes, etc. The intent is that you "action these" by, at the very least, reviewing them often as a matter of working your system.

However, that's not the only approach that Mark has given. The SoPP book goes into some good detail about the use of questioning as a means of exploring these ideas. Even further, Mark's Dreams book covers an entire time management approach driven entirely by a vision/goal statement that pulls you towards it, coupled with a system of daily accounting and monitoring and a method of questioning to diagnose systems level issues. Because this book is so different than the others, it's worth reading simply for that alone.
December 12, 2022 at 2:04 | Unregistered CommenterAaron Hsu
Mike,

I did read the posts. Thanks.
However, these two seem to contradict each other. The top 10 post recommends major goals, but the goalless post does not recommend goals.
December 12, 2022 at 4:04 | Unregistered CommenterMark H.
Aaron,

Thanks for answering this. I have brought this up before in previous posts, and have wondered about it.
Yes, I am aware that Mark Forster has the 50,000 feet stuff and lower altitudes in the long list. However, those items are the ones that tend to remain on my long list. I think it is because they require a different thinking mode than tasks/next actions, and cannot be handled as rapidly as those.
I haven't read the Secrets book, but there is a blog post on Questioning. I'll have to get that book.
I started to read the Dreams book years ago, but I had trouble understanding it. It was in a PDF file, I think. (Is that still available for download?) It seemed quite different from the other books, and I didn't know how to integrate it with those. But the title "Dreams" would imply that this is higher level.
December 12, 2022 at 4:26 | Unregistered CommenterMark H.