To Think About . . .

Nothing is foolproof because fools are ingenious. Anon

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > Context-AF4

Recent posts about UTMS have made me think about the system that inspired it, AF4, and whether I can adapt the it to the system I have been using in my smartphone,

http://markforster.squarespace.com/forum/post/2440059

After a few tweaks I tried it on paper, and a couple of days of use found it to be a very good system, so here it is.

What you will need: 1) A lined notebook, 2) A pen

1. List all the tasks you have to do into the notebook, one task per line. Close the list with a line. You will then write your new tasks below this line. The list above this line is the Closed List, and the list below it is the Open List.

2. Scan the Closed List. If you find a task that stands out in the Closed List, go to Step 2.a. If not, go to Step 2.b.

2.a) If you find a task that stands out in the Closed List, mark it with a heavy dot, then look for other tasks in both the Closed and Open Lists that seem to answer the question, "What other tasks are in context with my current task?" (NOTE: Context, as I said in my other thread, depends on the current task; I will discuss this use of the term "context" at the end of this post). Mark these other tasks with heavy dots also. These marked tasks then become our Current List. Go to Step 3 below.

2.b) If you do not find a task that stands out in the Closed List, scan the Open List for a task that does stand out and mark it with a heavy dot. Look for other tasks in both the Closed and Open Lists that seem to answer the question, "What other tasks are in context with my current task?" and mark them with a heavy dot each. If you cannot find even one same-context task from the Closed List, dismiss the Closed List (everything above the line drawn before) and close your Open List with a line at the end, making it your new Closed List. The marked tasks then become our Current List. Go to Step 3 below.

3. Do all the tasks in the Current List in any order you see fit. If needed, rewrite them in a separate sheet of paper. Once you have been able to do what you can for a task, delete it; if recurrent or still not finished, rewrite it in the Open List.

4. Go back to Step 2.

-----

What is "context"?

As I had said in my other thread, the question that I formulated, "What other tasks are in context with my current task?" was deliberately made vague because context depends on your current task. These are the examples that I have given before:

• For example, the task that stood out was "Do laundry," which if you have a washing machine and drier you can effectively leave after loading and turning the machine on; therefore context here can be other tasks you can do while waiting the laundry to be done.

• Another example could be "Do grocery." You may have added what items you needed to buy in your AF List if you treat it like a true "grass catcher" like I try to do, so context would be to search for them and list them in a separate sheet of paper. You may also find some other errands you want to do while you are outside like "Get carwash" and "Buy flowers for mai waifu".

Here are some more examples:

• The current task is a part of one of your projects. The in-context tasks are then the other tasks in your project that can be done now.

• The current task is a task that you have been putting off and had been languishing in your past Closed Lists and is about to be dismissed for the umpteenth time. You thus sit down and think of ways to reduce your resistance to doing the said task. You list these steps in your Open List and mark them right away as in-context tasks.
December 6, 2014 at 23:20 | Registered Commenternuntym
The following is from Mark's original AF4 instructions on dismissed tasks; what to do with them, and when to review them. You can rely on these instructions when using Context AF4 (Context-Based Autofocus 4) detailed above:

"Delete all [dismissed] tasks...using a highlighter instead of a pen stroke....

The next time you come to the beginning of the list, you should finally cross off the highlighted tasks by deciding what to do with each one in turn. You may elect to abandon it, re-enter it on the [Open] List (with or without re-phrasing), or put it into a reminder system for review at a later date. In making the decision what to do with each task, you should look at the reasons why you haven’t done it yet."
December 19, 2014 at 23:20 | Registered CommenterMichael B.
@Michael B.: For dismissal on paper, ever since I got lazy of looking for a highlighter every time I dismissed a page years ago, I now just draw a big diagonal line across the page using my pen. The undeleted tasks become then the dismissed tasks. But thank you for linking that page just to let people know what dismissal means.

------------------------------------------------------------

You know, I am really tempted to post this system in a "Getting Things Done" forum just to see what they think of a paper system that does their brain-dumping, contexting, and identifying someday/maybe tasks for them.

I mean, have you guys seen how meticulously some of those who use GTD make their contexts?

http://gettingthingsdone.com/forum/forum/david-allen-company-forums/public-discuss-getting-things-done/167712-newbie-q-would-anyone-like-to-share-your-full-list-of-contexts-or-tags-if-digital

And consider that they have to categorize each and every task from their "brain dumps" (i.e. they "empty their minds" of all things they need to do almost daily, and probably more often for some) into those contexts!

However, I think I'll test CAF4 more thoroughly before I introduce this to them.
December 20, 2014 at 4:32 | Registered Commenternuntym
nuntym:

Good idea. Another way is to circle the dismissed tasks with your pen. When they're later crossed out, they blend with the page better than a highlighter and the page looks done at a glance.
December 20, 2014 at 6:41 | Registered CommenterMichael B.
Four months into using this and I have to say I am going back to "My Own Task Management",

http://markforster.squarespace.com/forum/post/2440059

I am just outpacing my "Backlog" to the point that the Backlog kept on being dismissed even though it may be only two or so days old and they have tasks I was planning to do the next day, but since those tasks cannot be done on some times of the day (am I going to do my shopping, clean the car and haircut after dinner? I think not) I have to dismiss the whole Backlog and rewrite most of them so they can be done the next day. It has happened to me a number of times already and it is getting annoying.
April 9, 2015 at 21:54 | Registered Commenternuntym