To Think About . . .

Nothing is foolproof because fools are ingenious. Anon

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > Serial No-List - getting a sense of completion and closure like DIT

As I wrote about earlier, I've been exploring how to get a stronger sense of completion and closure to the day, like DIT always seems to give, but while sticking with the basic simplicity of Serial No-List.

http://markforster.squarespace.com/forum/post/2737722#post2738556

I've found something that works surprisingly well and is very simple!

At the beginning of the day, when I start a new page and do my initial "brain dump", I have simply been asking myself this question: "What do I want to have done today?"

And then I write down all the things that come to mind.

When I can't think of anything else, I do a quick scan of the previous 2-3 pages, and check if there is anything important there I may have forgotten. If yes, then I copy forward those items. Usually there are one or two items, sometimes more, sometimes none.

When I am happy with the list, I draw a line across the page.

Other than that, I just continue as usual with the ordinary Serial No-List process. If anything else comes to mind during the day, I just write it below the line.

This simple procedure has quite a powerful impact on the day. If I get a lot done above that line, it really does give a sense of accomplishment and closure very reminiscent of DIT.

I like it. ๐Ÿ™‚
May 5, 2019 at 22:02 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
So, you're are DIT done if you finish your initial list?
May 5, 2019 at 22:34 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
Basically yes. That is pretty much how I worked with DIT, too, but maybe it's not strictly according to the standard DIT rules.

As per the DIT rules, when you start the day, you draw a line under all the tasks that you had collected on today's page over the course of the previous day. That is the "task diary" part of the "will do" list. You add things below the line when something comes up during the day, and you think it is urgent and must be done today.

So the difference is that I just write everything that comes up during the day below the line, without making a distinction about urgency. The urgent stuff seems to assert itself pretty well. The rest either serves as a diversionary break, or can wait till later. But that hard core of the stuff I really felt like it needed to get done, that does't usually change much, and it's very satisfying to get it all done. That sense of satisfaction and closure is very motivating, too.
May 5, 2019 at 22:56 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
I daresay I'm inspired to try this again!
1. Write stuff I want to accomplish today.
2. Write stuff I don't want to forget.
3. Finish 1.
May 6, 2019 at 13:28 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
That's pretty much what I do, plus flourishes because I can't do anything that simple. When I draw the line, I quickly, roughly, estimate how long it will all take, and adjust if necessary.

I start the week the same way. Blank page, appointments, brain-dump, reality-check. Some weeks I assign tasks to days, especially if it's a busy week or there's a deadline or something I'm really resisting.

Things I think of mid-week, including "told story, update storytelling logs," go on the current page.

It works.
May 8, 2019 at 2:35 | Registered CommenterCricket
Seraphim, I have really enjoyed your Serial-No list post and some very insightful comments. (Spent a couple of hours going through all the comments!)

I have been doing something similar for a while now. What I do is to start each day with a blank โ€œpost it note (3x3)โ€.

On this post it note I write the stuff I want to either do today or touch(*) today.

Why a post it note?:
- This places an artificial boundary for myself and really closes the list for the day. You can only put so much on it!
- It stands out draws my attention and focus.
- Also once I have finished this post it note then my day is done and I am then free to explore/do whatever I want. (I throw the post it note away.)

*Items to touch:
- Some of the items on my post it note will be large bulky projects or initiatives. To get it off my list I only need to touch it.
- With touch I mean spend time taking action on the item which can include just thinking hard about it.
May 18, 2019 at 5:38 | Unregistered CommenterNico_Sydney
Nico_Sydney -

Sorry for the delayed reply, I have been away from my computer recently!

Yes, I did something very similar to this back in the No-List days, probably 2015 or 2016. I tried it with a sticky note, for the very same reasons you describe! But eventually started doing it with a little whiteboard instead, and liked it even better. Here is an example of where we discussed this on the forum:

http://markforster.squarespace.com/forum/post/2611633

I really liked the feeling of complete freedom and mental clarity that came with throwing away the sticky note / erasing the whiteboard. And that's one reason I was hesitant to try the Serial No-List method for quite a long time. I thought retaining the old lists would make the tasks all become stale.

But in practice that hasn't proven to be the case. Instead, the old lists give a sense of completeness and context, and kind of balance. I rely on my present mental engagement *almost* all of the time, but not 100% of the time. It's a very good balance that makes Serial No-List a little less frenetic than straight No-List and a little more grounded and methodical, without losing any of the freshness and sense of engagement.
May 27, 2019 at 7:32 | Registered CommenterSeraphim