To Think About . . .

Success is the product of daily habits, not once-in-a-lifetime transformations. James Clear

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > What's Next?

Today I am embarking on a system I call "What's Next" unless you point out a reason it should be called otherwise. The motive is to bypass and control impulse behavior while getting stuff done.

The rule is simple: Before you do a thing, decide what you will do after.

I already knew what I was going to do now (e.g. write this post) because I decided beforehand. Before I started, I decide what's next (e.g. get started on programming.) When I finish this post, I will decide what I am doing after.

How does this tie into other ideas?

I have an established morning routine. When I go to bed, "what's next" is that morning routine. When I wake up, I think, I will go through my routine and then.... It doesn't have to be a big thing, it could be a small thing chosen because I'm just waking up and have not geared into all my goals for the day. After the morning is done, before I start the small thing, I may commit to the next big thing after.

They say the worst time to plan a meal is when you are hungry. You're much more likely to choose unhealthy easy food. Likewise if you decide last minute between working out and watching TV, you're more likely to watch TV and suppose you'll exercise some other time.

Implementation Intentions: When I finish work, then I will go to the gym. At 7pm I will work on my tax return. This simple formula (If _event_ Then I will _action_) is proven extremely effective in getting people to follow through on commitment, vastly more so than just "I will _action_", or getting highly motivated for _action_.

Motivation: When you know something is coming, you can anticipate it and mentally prepare. It can motivate you to finish your current project quickly, or get you warmed up to the idea, and you can switch as soon as you feel ready.
June 20, 2020 at 14:17 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
Alan:

I agree that your system should be very effective. It's one task more than one of my earliest "no list" systems which was "Write down what you're going to do next and then do it". I still use it occasionally when I get stuck for some reason or other.
June 20, 2020 at 20:53 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Alan, have a look at the work of Professor BJ Fogg of Stanford University and his Tiny Habits program and methods. Do a search on TED talks and watch his very interesting explanation. His book is excellent also and he has collected data from over 40,000 participants from his courses. I have set up a whole series of Tiny Habits covering everything from when I take my pills to exercising, flossing teeth, reading articles, simple scanning from my journal etc. His work fits in very well with Marks in my opinion,
July 9, 2020 at 14:09 | Unregistered CommenterIan
Alan,

I like that you formalized this thought for me. I tend to do really well when I feel like I have sequenced my next couple of moves. Besides the reasons you stated, I think one of the reasons that it works for me is allows me to focus on the current task fully because I know I've already evaluated it against the other tasks that I have. Knowing that what I'm doing right now is the thing that has "won" in the choice between it and the next 2-3 things helps me feel like I am indeed doing the right thing.

Like I mentioned, sometimes I list out more than the very next task in my head but rarely more than 3. Have you found a reason to keep it to x+1?

Brent
July 10, 2020 at 0:30 | Unregistered CommenterBrent
Brent:

<< Knowing that what I'm doing right now is the thing that has "won" in the choice between it and the next 2-3 things helps me feel like I am indeed doing the right thing. >>

Yes, this choosing between two tasks is very powerful.

Here are a couple of variations on the same theme for processing a short list (you can define "short" how you like, but I would normally have about 10-20):

1) Compare the first task on the list with the second, and do whichever of the two you prefer. Then compare the loser with the third task and again do whichever of the two you prefer. Continue in the same way through the list.

2) Divide the list into pairs and go through it selecting and doing one task from each pair for immediate action, i.e. Compare 1 with 2, 3 with 4, 5 with 6 and so on. When you reach the end of the list re-divide the remaining tasks into pairs again and repeat the process.

Both these methods work very well. I find Method 2) slightly more fun to do, but Method 1) has the advantage that you can easily add more tasks to the list.
July 10, 2020 at 11:36 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
I think doing more fun methods has its advantages. :) I just posted another thread about doing the sorting/sequencing with index cards. But to keep with Alan's concept, I like the mental side of this. After trying to more deliberate about what Alan suggests, I'm finding that having an inner dialog going of "this then that" is helpful in not getting "stalled"

Brent
July 10, 2020 at 18:38 | Unregistered CommenterBrent
I gotta say, this seems brilliant. I'm trying it out now.
July 20, 2020 at 22:41 | Unregistered CommenterJesse
Alan,
I find this concept appealing for its stacking effect! It fits and entices one’s next steps in a chain of actions. Do you still apply it in your daily practice, and how does it play out in the long run, specifically in coordination with written lists?
November 21, 2022 at 8:45 | Unregistered CommenterGeorg
This sounds a lot like Mark's SMEMA system, the Simplest Most Effective Method of All. You pick the next three things you want to do, do two, add two, and repeat.

As someone with ADHD who has a lot of trouble planning ahead, this is very effective at times.
November 21, 2022 at 19:14 | Unregistered CommenterTopherJake
TopherJake, that is exactly the reason, to give me time to become mentally prepared for the next thing. Georg, I do follow this as a principle. In the past year I’ve generally operated by planning the next day’s activities, but more particularly having established a general plan I do tend to focus on what am I doing next and what after. It plays out well in the long run.

Regarding written lists, I found it very difficult to keep myself returning over and over to a list, until I finally decided that wasn’t the way for me. I do have an evolving system for managing a written list. I look at it when I’m not sure what to do next, or to plan additional things. This is not all the time, because I generally know. The point then is just to make sure I do occasionally check in.
November 22, 2022 at 16:00 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu