To Think About . . .

Success is the product of daily habits, not once-in-a-lifetime transformations. James Clear

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > Question re: Mark's Book

Which of Mark's books best support long list systems such as Autofocus and DWM?
October 14, 2022 at 13:23 | Registered Commenteravrum
The exercises in "Dreams" and GED are what could be best replaced with a long list system, in the sense that either one is suffice.

DIT is anathema to the long list, because the aim is to get everything done that is entered into the system, whereas the long list wants to dismiss items as part of the plan.

"Secrets" is pretty system agnostic. So I'd go with "Secrets." It features a no list system but you can replace this with a long list just fine.
October 14, 2022 at 13:58 | Unregistered CommenterChristopher
Christopher: << DIT is anathema to the long list >>

Maybe true. But, for what it's worth, I think the following "long-list DIT" system would be possible:

1. Simple Scanning rules
2. Leave a blank line at the beginning of each day and write today's date (as in DWM2).
3. By the end of each day, try your best to clear all of yesterday's tasks (and all tasks from days earlier than yesterday).
4. If you fall 3 days or so behind, do an audit to see what's wrong (as in DIT).
5. If you're hopelessly behind, declare a backlog (as in DIT) and work on some of that every day.

Lately, I've been attracted to Real Autofocus and DWM2, and this seems to be in the same ballpark. Obviously, this is pretty different from the original DIT though (there is no buffer keeping you from tomorrow's tasks, and so on). I'm sure Mark tested many DIT variants back in the day.
October 14, 2022 at 16:13 | Registered CommenterBelacqua