To Think About . . .

Nothing is foolproof because fools are ingenious. Anon

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > Autofocus condensed

Here's a variation that's been working well for me over the past week or so:

In the morning (or whenever you'd normally take 10-15 minutes to plan out your day), start at the first active page of your notebook, and start scanning through all of your pages for items that stand out -- tasks you'd like to get to today if you had limitless time. Cross out anything that stands out and move it to the end of your AF list.

Continue the process until you've skimmed though all of your active pages -- it should take about 10 or 15 minutes and cull maybe 20-40 items, which I'd call the "today" list. I usually draw a red line before I start writing anything down so I know exactly where yesterday's list ended and today's began.

Then -- work the "today" list in true Autofocus style, but ONLY the today list (ie don't go above the red line). Normally I start at the top and just start working down the list, but if you're really busy putting out fires at work then you can always work backwards from the end of the list, and every time you've finished a task, go back to the bottom and start working your way up again.

I don't treat the "today" list as closed -- I still add things to the end as with regular Autofocus, and any tasks started but not completed are crossed out and added back to the end of the list (same as Autofocus).

The advantages I've found are that the quality of work improves, because in the morning you culled for 20-40 "quality" items (and don't waste an hour cycling through 7-8 pages picking off low-hanging fruit), and the problem of missing out on urgent tasks is greatly diminished, because the list is small and you're aware of everything on it.

The other advantage is that you still get the benefit of Autofocus -- scanning the "today" list and letting the tasks jump out, and thus letting your intuition guide you to the right task at the right time. Also ... you can switch back to classic Autofocus at any time -- the structure of the notebook doesn't change at all.

The rules listed above are meant to be flexible. The basic idea is to take 10 or 15 minutes in the morning to scan all of the active pages for a page or two of items that are potentially relevant today, and then to only focus on those items that day.
May 18, 2009 at 6:19 | Unregistered CommenterSimon
Simon,

Nice. Much like the "index card method" that some of us (including myself) came up with a while ago. But your method has the advantage of keeping you on the list whereas the index card method takes you outside of the list. I'll have to chew on that for a while ;-)
May 18, 2009 at 10:43 | Unregistered CommenterMike
Very intresting way. Thanks for sharing

I did something similar when i worked with GTD Omnifocus

May 18, 2009 at 17:42 | Unregistered CommenterJupiter
Oups not finished.

In the morning I scaned all my items of all my projects

Each tasks to be done was marked by a flag

During the day i worked on flagged items and contexts

Worked quiet well but it was not on paper :))
May 18, 2009 at 17:44 | Unregistered CommenterJupiter
Hi Mike, I'd describe it as quickly condensing all of the active pages onto a single page. A few other benefits I didn't mention in the last post:

- if your Achilles heel is looking at websites, and they're scattered all through your active pages, then ... when you bring forward tasks for today, only bring forward a few websites. You've still got them for those little 10-minute windows when it's appropriate, but ... with only a few on the today you aren't going to fall into the hole of churning through 7 or 8 pages and looking at 10 websites

- a lot of times when tasks are carried forward I reword the task, or I add a few extra related tasks, and a lot of times that's all you need to move forward.

- if it looks like one of those days when you're going to head downtown, the morning scan will pick out all of those things you might want to do or purchase along the way. If it's raining out, the scan tends to pick out things to do indoors. It feels very adaptable to the basic outlook for the day
May 18, 2009 at 17:50 | Unregistered CommenterSimon
Simon,

What I don't understand is, why don't you treat your "today" list as closed list?
And when you start scanning Tuesday morning, will you scan Monday's today list, too?

May 18, 2009 at 17:51 | Unregistered CommenterRainer
Interesting method Simon, I've moved away from AF but the way I do things has similarities to your method.

I usually only pick a few items from previous days, and prioritise on at least starting these, early on where possible.

I don't copy them to the last page but mark them with a dot, then put a number of dots next to todays date as a reminder.

Towards the end of the day I'll pick a few items to at least start before the end of the day, and also think about what I'd like to do tomorrow.

May 18, 2009 at 21:26 | Unregistered Commentersmileypete
Rainer, it's closed in the sense that I wouldn't go back and look at previous days once the list has been created. It's open in the sense that as things occur during the day I'll add them to the bottom of the list and they become "active" so to speak (ie they wouldn't be put off until tomorrow).

Also, yes on Tuesday morning the Monday "today" list would be part of the scan of active pages for items to carry forward, and in fact that's where a lot of today's items will come from. There might be 30 items on Monday's list of which I'll do 12, with 18 left. On Tuesday morning I'll scan all of the active pages (including the Monday list), and maybe pull forward 14 of the 18 items left on the Monday list and maybe 16 items from older pages. On Wednesday I might pull forward 3 of the last 4 from the Monday list, 15 from the Tuesday list and the remainder from older pages etc. It's a continual process of pulling relevant items forward to "today" and then working "today" in Autofocus style.

I think it's also important to try and pull forward a fairly wide spectrum of items to allow the day to unfold in different ways.

I just find that the older pages go stale fairly quickly, and so rather than spend half a day cycling through the back pages, I'd rather just pull forward anything potentially doable from those pages first thing in the morning and then not have to worry about them for the rest of the day.

Smiley and Jupiter -- I might give the "marking" approach a try. I guess I just like having everything on one page so I don't have to flip through pages. I can see though why a person might not want to copy a lot of items forward (ie would prefer electronic). The old paper vs electronic debate.
May 18, 2009 at 22:05 | Unregistered CommenterSimon
I used to do something similar to Simon's process, especially when I had the nervous feeling that there were undone, urgent tasks lurking somewhere on my list. Or when a boatload of urgent tasks were pressing on my mind. I posted about it a few times, but I can't find where...

Anyway... I'd either cull the list, looking for those hot items, and add them to the last page. Or I'd just write down all the urgent stuff that was on my mind. Or both. And then I'd immediately jump to the last page and start working it in regular AF fashion.

I liked this approach because it kept me in Autofocus mode all the time -- no index-card system "on the side"; no "urgent" flags to mess up the "standing out" process. Etc.

But eventually I found it caused some trouble with the dismissal process. It became an easy way to keep something on the list without actually taking any action on it.

So, I don't use this method much anymore—or I should say, I use it rarely. It *is* useful for those gun-to-the-head, must-get-it-done-now moments. But how often do those moments really happen? Not as often as I used to imagine...
May 18, 2009 at 23:56 | Unregistered CommenterSeraphim
Seraphim, I'm not really scanning the list for urgent items, so to speak. I'm looking to create a palette of 30 or 40 tasks from which I will use AF to actually do maybe 10 or 15. This daily palette includes urgent items, projects I'd like to move forward on, and anything else that might be relevant for today. And because the list is relatively small, I'm finding that I'm digging deeper into those 30-40 tasks (as opposed to superficially touching on a wider number of items in classic AF).

I haven't really considered how to dismiss items though -- basically I don't dismiss. My oldest page had three items on it for a week, and then today the time was right to do one of those items. So ... those older items do get done, but only when the time is right.
May 19, 2009 at 7:01 | Unregistered CommenterSimon
Hi Simon,

This is an intriguing approach -- sort of a hybrid if you will of DIT and AF, but somewhat different. I would very much like to hear Mark's comments on this approach. I can see the benefit of moving things forward, but it would seem that one would lose a key aspect of AF in that there are going to be items left hanging on the older active pages because they are never moved forward. Simon, how do you go about dismissing items?

Best wishes,
-David
May 19, 2009 at 22:31 | Unregistered CommenterDavid Drake
David,

I'm considering grouping dismissed items into categories, which is an adaption of 'little b's idea:

http://www.markforster.net/forum/post/764875
May 19, 2009 at 23:43 | Unregistered Commentersmileypete
David:

I tend to agree with your take on this. The problem with identifying particular items to be given some sort of enhanced priority is that it upsets the whole point of the system, which is that your intuition will sort these things automatically. This will only happen if the rules are followed exactly - especially the rule about dismissing items.

Simon's comment on "superficially touching on a wider number of items in classic AF" has not been my experience. Since there's no upper or lower limit on the number of items that you do in a day in AF, you can spend all day on one item one day and do hundreds of items the next - whatever feels right at the time.
May 20, 2009 at 10:33 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Mark

I have certainly found that any attempt to try to change the system increases resistance for those very reasons. I think there is some need in all of us to believe that we have an eye of the "important" things and that element of trusting the system to identify those is quite an alien concept to grasp.

The index card approach didn't work for me but doing a MindMap of those same "important" tasks did. However, and where I think this worked so well for me, I realsised that it was not having that additional list that was important, but the act of writing them down. I don't work from my MindMap but from AF and yet, strangely, the tasks get done. The act of writing down gets them out of my mind, assures me I have them identified so there is no anxiety, and presumably somehow primes my intuition so that they do in fact "stand out".

The tweak I use also works well for me but in a different way. For one thing it is not "pure AF" and therefore loses some of the benefits of AF. However, what it does do is enable me to bring tasks that I would just "have to do" into the system and enables me to action them with less resistance than if I were to keep them out of the system.

I hear all of the arguments about the fact that nothing "needs" to be done and that the system can deal with everything and do not disagree with that at all. However life does not always fall into nice neat little packages and exceptions do arise. This enables me to deal with "my" exceptions in a much more effective way than I would be able to without introducing them to AF.

I love the freedom of working AF "properly" but I also love that I can use it with "emergency" type issues also.
May 20, 2009 at 12:49 | Unregistered CommenterChristine B
Something else I do in my daily review is 'pull down' one or two of the important but likely most resistant tasks (MIRTs), onto todays list.

This gives me the chance to rephrase/refine them in doing so, and where possible I at least make a start on them early on.

I find this way they're less likely to get left until they're even more resistant, or really urgent too.
May 20, 2009 at 13:50 | Unregistered Commentersmileypete
Simon,

I tried this yesterday in my home book (didn't want to comment until I actually tried it.) It worked very well despite my feeling quite tired and unmotivated after work. My major issue is getting started on AF when I get home and I'm tired. The list can feel overwhelming and it's like I need to see a possible end to the day.

I started with 16 tasks which amounted to about 3 hours of activities (not limitless or I would have put everything on my AF list). I finished 12, which is probably more than I would have otherwise. I closed off 2 of my older pages in my AF list, which was great too. Maybe this is just me - but I find myself pulling forward the oldest items. I do this usually on the weekends when I have lots of time - focus on closing off old pages when I'm motivated. But I've been working every weekend for the last month so it hasn't been getting done. Nothing on my list is *urgent* though - which means I can procrastinate forever with almost no consequences. :-)

I think it worked well for me because the list size is small. That makes it feel achievable. And I have a tendency to want to finish everything that I've said that I'll do... It was also convenient because I picked a number of items that I wanted to shop for.

I wasn't sure what to do with the things that are recurring that I have on the list that I know that I want to do daily or every 1-2 weeks or so though. Pure AF works well for these items. I ended up just writing them on the next page .

When I was culling tasks from the AF list this morning for today's mini-list (20 items ~ 4.5 hours), I dismissed a couple of items that I knew I didn't want to take the time to do anymore. I also re-worded and chunked down a number of tasks on the AF list that I was having problems wanting to do.

May 20, 2009 at 14:19 | Unregistered CommenterJacqueline
Hi Jacqueline

One thing that struck me from your post was that there does not seem to be any sense of items "standing out" but rather of items you have decided to do. Is that what you are finding?

The fact that I have "decided" to deal with my backlog once and for all does mean that it is a rational rather than an intuitive decision on my part and therefore loses the "standing out" element. I believe that the decision I have made is the right one at this point in time but am frustrated that it therefore loses what to me is the great strength of AF.

It seems to me that using AF in this way does work but in a reduced capacity, rather like turning it into more of a to do list (albeit probably the most effective "to do" list I have ever used) rather than AF.
May 20, 2009 at 14:36 | Unregistered CommenterChristine B
Oops, my stats were wrong for yesterday - I put 21 items on the list and finished 15.

Christine, the 'standing out' for me came when both "picking" the items I wanted to do - a few of them were the "this has been bugging me for too long of a time" variety, some were moving some big projects along and some were things I want to get done for this weekend AND when I was actually working on the mini-list, where I did things in no logical order, but how they stood out (except the shopping stuff). Which is why some of them didn't get finished. I operated it *exactly* like AF in the process - just with one page, like if you had an AF book that was only one page long or that had only 21 items on it in total.

Re - deciding / standing out - I didn't do everything I had decided / intuitively picked to do anyway. I also think the will / self-discipline can be like a muscle - you need to exercise it against resistance every once in awhile or it weakens. I exercised mine when I felt like calling it a day after completing about 1/2 of the list to get myself to push through to do a bit more.

I still made pretty good progress on an evening when I could sense that feeling coming of not wanting to do anything at all.
May 20, 2009 at 17:20 | Unregistered CommenterJacqueline
Hi Jacqueline

Thanks for the explanation - that's helpful. Because I am in "must do" mode at present and further frustrated by having to do, undo and redo stuff that a third party is being paid to do which is taking much of my time, I am not able to use AF properly. Whereas I think most folks on this forum leave AF and just "do" during those periods, I want to keep within the system as much as possible - much as I sense you do. The benefit is that I am getting stuff done, although sometimes just by that act of will. The disadvantage is that I am not allowing items to stand out, it's more a case of choosing the item than it choosing me. Not so much fun but I will get back ...... :-)
May 20, 2009 at 17:46 | Unregistered CommenterChristine B
Hi Christine,

I just wanted to add some words of encouragement. As you know, my professional life is overwhelming with so many hours of work every week. I know, this is my choice, but the fact of the matter is that most times, I still feel overwhelmed. I cannot do AF all of the time because I have so many deadline-driven projects and quick-response issues that come up. In staying in line with AF, I just do these things. I still put all of these deadlines into my AF system, but as I have said before, I use Outlook to manage my urgent tasks. There are times -- and way too many -- when I feel I am just riding this roller coaster and not able to do pure AF. So my point is, hang in there -- you are not alone in this regard.

Best wishes,
-David
May 20, 2009 at 19:03 | Unregistered CommenterDavid Drake
Hi David

Many thanks for the encouragement - it's much appreciated.

It is easy to assume that, just because we are doing the job we want to do, or are in the place we want to be, or know that is right for us, that everything will be plain sailing. Unfortunately that is just not true - life is not perfect and we will frequently face difficulties, and sometimes of our own making.

If we are to make any sort of a difference in our sphere of influence I think there will always be tough times. The challenge is to know when to dig in and ride out the storm and when to change direction. Sometimes it takes time to see the next step ........

Thanks again David - I'm hanging on in there :-)
May 21, 2009 at 1:43 | Unregistered CommenterChristine B
Christine and David, I'm wishing for the wind of AF to be at your backs again!

Well, I wrote down 20 items today on the mini-AF list and completed 13 of them. It's 9 p.m. here, so I'm ready to call it a day. So far, I like the modification - thanks Simon!
May 21, 2009 at 3:54 | Unregistered CommenterJacqueline
Mark, I'm still using the "standing out" method to cull the items in the morning. Well, not precisely as you've outlined it -- I don't read the list twice. In fact, as with classic AF, I've found the second read can sometimes cause what Christine has called "deciding" your tasks rather than intuitively choosing them. I think the intuitive happens on the first swipe and then the rational on the second. So ... when I'm culling the lists in the morning, I basically carry forward anything that stands out on the first read. Also, when I actually get down to work on the "today" list I do use the standing out method. Jacqueline said (and this has been my approach as well): "I operated it *exactly* like AF in the process - just with one page, like if you had an AF book that was only one page long or that had only 21 items on it in total."

One other side benefit -- I've started to really look forward to that 15 minutes every morning of getting the smaller list ready. It provides a good general sense of the possibilities for each day. Quite often, after making the list, the day just seems to unfold naturally without really having to refer to the lists all that often. I think this happens because the process of writing down today's list causes the subconscious to begin outlining the day, and when you're done culling the subconscious knows what to do, at least for the first few hours.

As far as dismissing goes, well ... not sure. It hasn't been a problem because on the older pages there might only be five items and it only takes 10 seconds or so to read them. I guess if it becomes an issue I might dismiss anything that is more than a month (or whenever) old.

Jacqueline, for recurring items I've carried them forward in the morning and when they're finished I've just crossed them out and rewritten them at the bottom of the page. I tried putting a circle next to them so as to avoid rewriting them, but it seems easier to read the list when items are crossed out.

David, for urgent items have you tried working from the very end (ie from the very last item) of your notebook when things start to get tense? Ie five people barge into your office in 10 minutes with demands. Write them down in the notebook and then immediately switch to working from the bottom of the last page until things have cooled off.
May 21, 2009 at 6:55 | Unregistered CommenterSimon
Christine, to get yourself over the hump, why don't you use something like Simon's AF-condensed? I'm using it this week to prepare for my camping trip this weekend (kind of urgent - unless I said I wasn't going, which I'm not), and it's working really well.

I also previously made a separate AF list for my consulting client work (separate location) and work that list the same way that I do the regular one. It only has about 40 items and 2-3 pages on it.

At least you'd keep the structure of your regular AF list and can go back to doing your tandem method later. And at some point be able to do classic AF once your backlogs are clear.

Simon, I like the idea of dismissing after a month. That's about how long my average time to close a page was. Although thanks to your method, I see I've closed off an older AF page in 18 days, which is wonderful.

I also noticed this morning that I'm more revved up to finish off a bunch of things in the morning before going to work so that I have more of a chance to finish the day's page when I get home.

What doesn't make sense to me is that this is kind of like how I used to work with my daytimer, yet it didn't stick. I think it was the crazy amounts of OT I always used to do that threw me off though. I hope it's not just the novelty of the new that's making it work. :-(
May 21, 2009 at 14:01 | Unregistered CommenterJacqueline
Interesting thread. I've been working off a short list (digital) of tasks that must be completed by the end of the week. I don't see Simon's or my approach this week as being much different than a traditional to-do list.

I was doing something very similar to what Simon does some time ago, except I chose my tasks the night before (I enjoyed this process, too). I chose one task from each page. I challenged myself to get every single thing done the next day which required me to group them as efficiently as possible. It worked great for a while, but I would have burned out on that frenetic pace fairly quickly. I reverted to original AF and found I experienced much less pressure to get things done, but also stopped making it through the whole list on a daily basis and felt less motivated.

I am coming to the conclusion that for many of us, keeping the approach to task management fresh will keep productivity hopping. My mood and circumstances change all the time, so why shouldn't my TM approach? For my personality, inconsistency isn't the enemy; monotony is.
May 21, 2009 at 21:56 | Unregistered CommenterMel
Christine wrote: "The fact that I have "decided" to deal with my backlog once and for all does mean that it is a rational rather than an intuitive decision on my part and therefore loses the "standing out" element."

I've wondered about this sort of thing. On a day when a wake up saying "Today's the day for XXX-project" (xxx is a variable, not the name of adult film project [which is of course named "Adult Film Project}) -- then I could do as you're describing, work off-list and just do the thing I have said I'll do.

But if XXX is on my AF list, then surely, in my present state of mind, that will be thing that "stands out"--wouldn't it? And, if so, then I can the task/project done while still following the rules.

And, related, is it breaking the rules if you get to that page with Project XXX and maybe it doesn't stand out, but dad-blamit, it's time to get that sucker DONE. Isn't that a type of standing out, too?

Vague questions, but the "stand out" concept is a little vague to me...
May 22, 2009 at 2:07 | Unregistered Commenterds
Jacqueline, I've also noticed a lot of energy in the morning, I think because the process of writing down today's list gets the subconscious working on a loose outline for the day. You basically trigger ideas based on every unfinished task you've thought about over the past month or more.

The thing is though, once you've carried forward today's list, you're really doing AF for the most part as Mark has described it. It's like AF on the first or second day with the system when you only had a page or two. So that might make it a bit different than a daytimer or a traditional list (as Mel pointed out).

I wonder about the novelty aspect as well, but it's been a little under two weeks now with AF condensed (after using classic AF every day since early January) and it doesn't seem to be slowing down (knock on wood).
May 22, 2009 at 6:17 | Unregistered CommenterSimon
Mel

Why not choose just two or three tasks the night before to carry forward to the next day?

Then gradually adjust the number as time or circumstances permit.
May 22, 2009 at 13:03 | Unregistered Commentersmileypete
Hi ds,

I think 'standing out' could be impacted a lot by whether someone is an 'avoider' type or not (not saying that Christine is). Some people will come to something they've been avoiding that's on the list and they will never pick it or never break through that hurdle of resistance or fear or whatever. They just don't have it in them to knuckle down and "get that sucker done!" either. That person would probably abandon AF because it's forcing them to deal with things they don't want to deal with yet know they can't dismiss.

About a dozen years ago, I had a lot of problems with this. To overcome it, for about a year or so I started every day off doing three things I was resisting doing or anxious about. I had an excel spreadsheet that had three lines on the top for those items I was avoiding and I couldn't go on to the rest of my list until they were done. It was a great experience of worst first. Of course, I ran out of things I was resisting doing - but by then the problem was solved and has been so ever since.

Simon,

I hope the higher energy levels will continue to be the same for me. AF condensed gets bonus points from me because my active number of pages and outstanding items is going down - which has never happened during the week for me. This is despite my adding a full page every day this week vs. usually adding a page only every 3 days. And I'm not just bringing forward stuff and not doing it either. Instead of closing them off at the very beginning, I'm closing off middle pages (which is kind of annoying). And I actually set a new record yesterday for closing off a page in 17 days! (vs my average of about 28). But some of the oldest active pages are outstanding higher than the average and I want to deal with them.

After the weekend and all the preparation I'm doing for that right now, I will focus on deliberately closing off those older pages whether by dismissal or doing. I just hate stuff hanging around for > a month!!

Yesterday I only managed to complete 65% of my mini-list, but I was working full out from 5-8:30 p.m., so I'm still very satisfied with what I accomplished. :-)

Who knows, I may go back to doing AF (condensed version) at work as well now after abandoning regular AF...

Simon, have you ever done an AF-condensed list for the morning and then another one in the afternoon at work? I'm just wondering if that would work because my energy and enthusiasm usually goes down in the afternoon (darn circadian rhythyms), plus that's my schedule for checking my email (morning, after lunch and an hour before I go home).
May 22, 2009 at 13:12 | Unregistered CommenterJacqueline
Hi Jacqueline

Thanks for the suggestion - I may well give that a try at some point. At present I feel that my MindMap approach is working sufficiently well with the tandem approach to keep me as on top of things as possible and I just have to live with the fact that some weeks are just a nightmare. This week has been one of just having to deal with issues as they arose and consequently my attention to my lists has been pretty minimal. This is unfortunately a recurring situation over which I have very little control, as many of the factors relate to inefficiencies within other organisations or "the system". All I can do is improve my contingency planning which also takes time! However, from the fact that this is not a unique scenario, I am building experience in managing those times. I find that my AF list is the best place to record everything so that, even if I am not consciously working my lists, when the crisis is over I am finding that many tasks have been completed in the interim.
May 23, 2009 at 1:51 | Unregistered CommenterChristine B
oops - the problem with having a page open ready to post a response is that when you do post several other posts have appeared in the meantime. Jacqueline, my above post was in response to yours of May 21 14:01 :-) Current crisis dealt with so can get back into the forum!
May 23, 2009 at 1:56 | Unregistered CommenterChristine B
Hi Mel

re your 21 May 21:56 post - that's very helpful to know what your experiences were. In my tandem mode I am getting a lot done, but it feels more "to do list" like than pure AF. It does work well though when things need to be done and interestingly makes me realise that I am now a lot more able to be disciplined to "do". I have posted before how I envy the ability of you, Jacqueline, Mike, Learning and others to be disciplined in tacking a specific lists of tasks, on a predetermined "will do" basis. That is something I have always struggled with - hence why I could not consistently stick with DIT - but AF seems to have created sufficient changes, whether in my approach or my thinking, that I am more able to do that now.
May 23, 2009 at 2:05 | Unregistered CommenterChristine B
Hi Jacqueline, I haven't had to make more than one list in a day. I guess I only like to make one list every day because it does force you to dig deeper on those harder tasks once the easier/obvious stuff is cleared out of the way. For those low-energy periods (usually about 7-9 hours after waking up) I have a lot of books in my AF lists and on the 'today' list I'll still carry forward 3-5 titles. So when the energy level starts to drop (something I wasn't really aware of before AF), a book will stand out and I'll hit the couch for an hour and read.
May 23, 2009 at 8:06 | Unregistered CommenterSimon
Hi ds

That's a good point about standing out and I understand what you say about having Project xxx on the list. Although my backlog items were on the list, both as Project xxx and as some of the constituent parts, it wasn't getting cleared sufficiently within my rather erratic discretionery time. I wanted to leave it within "pure" AF - which I believe would have eventually handled it, but when other factors all but eliminated my discretionery time I had to make a decision. I suspect I will not really know the full impact of how dealing with an issue this way affects AF until it is out of the way and I can get back to "normal". :-)
May 23, 2009 at 10:56 | Unregistered CommenterChristine B
Hi Jacqueline

That's a good point about avoidance - like you I have certainly struggled with that in the past but had also created systems to get over that - I can see how being in that space would giive a tendency to abandon AF as not working rather than face the issues. It is great for me to know that I will not abandon AF and I guess why I have gone to such lengths to make sure it works now, when I am in a situation where my discretionery time is at an all time low.

The point about energy levels also makes me realise that that is an issue. Whilst AF does keep my energy levels high from a motivation point of view, there is only so much that can be achieved when the lack of energy does not relate to motivation or attitude but to plain old physical exhaustion. Still I did get to see the dawn this morning - unfortunately before going to bed rather than after! :-)
May 23, 2009 at 11:03 | Unregistered CommenterChristine B
Hi Jacqueline and Christine B
You ladies are light years ahead of me! I struggle with avoidance everyday of my life! *blush* Because I struggle with it (and struggle is a gross understatement in my case), I MUST do it first thing or my whole day will be ruined! I'm not joking! They say first order change is total transcendence from the problem. Second order change is white-knuckling it (doing the right action in direct opposition to your thinking.) Every morning I have a STRONG avoidance toward scut work. In response to my hating the scut, I hunker down and get it done in direct opposition to what I'm actually thinking! *blush* My only saving grace is using my stubborn thinking to get the scut done first thing ONLY so that it won't ruin my day! ROTFL! I can't even imagine getting my scut work done without a warrior mentality. I'm FAR from being over it mentally! *blush*
learning as I go
May 24, 2009 at 13:17 | Unregistered Commenterlearning as I go
p.s.
The horror of it possibly interfering with my Memorial Day weekend, I woke up at 4:15am and worked on scut work for 2'17" so that for Sunday (today) and Monday, my 30" peace contract won't be filled with any really lousy stuff! Then I did today's peace contract. Except for tomorrow's 30" peace contract, I have two days of clear sailing with a peaceful mind. It was worth the little bit of extra effort to clear these two days in advance. If I didn't hate it so much, I probably wouldn't have had to do it that way. I could have done it as it came in a spirit of calm and grace. I doubt that I'll ever reach that point as my aversion to tedious, boring tasks is GREAT! LOL!
God bless all living and dead who haved served our country to protect our freedoms and others' freedoms around the globe.
Fire up that grill, chill the spirits, and show your reverence like you're at an Irish wake! Many died for your freedoms. I hope you ENJOY yourself well (and safely)while you're paying homage to our fallen heroes. (with a nod to the living heroes as well!)
learning as I go
May 24, 2009 at 13:31 | Unregistered Commenterlearning as I go
Nice post, learning. I need to tough it out and keep reminding myself to do the peace contract. Great concept! Have a peaceful Memorial Day!!
May 25, 2009 at 16:15 | Unregistered CommenterMel
learning,

Why not /try/ to love your scutwork a /little/, or maybe the least unlovable bits!

Perhaps the time could also be be used as thinking time, or listening to music or a radio programme.

When you mentioned your 'scutwork cap' in another thread I had a vision of a pointy hat with a big 'S' on it. :)

This would have to be worn from first thing and NOT taken off until ALL the scutwork is done - imagine the embarrassment of answering the door with it on, lol! :)))
May 25, 2009 at 16:43 | Unregistered Commentersmileypete
What does a peace contract entail?

The pointy hat idea is brilliant hehe!
May 25, 2009 at 17:21 | Unregistered CommenterPeter Knight
What the accident took from me is humiliating enough....I don't need to wear a pointed cap to feel even worse! Besides, I'm eligable for free care because of my disabilities. I DO the work for MYSELF because I'm trying to preserve my confidence and pride in myself no matter what.....a pointed hat surely couldn't help me to push hard to accomplish what you can do effortlessly.
learning as I go
May 26, 2009 at 4:19 | Unregistered Commenterlearning as I go
Yes, I could allow for them to chauffeur me about town, buy my food, prepare my meals, keep my home clean, help me with my hygiene, and keep track of my accounts. They've deemed that I'm too disabled to do any of it.......but......but....but......I FOOLED THEM ALL!!! I'M DOING IT ALL BY MYSELF (except on occasion I'll ride shotgun if a friend is going to the market anyway.) I"M NOBODY'S HARDSHIP!!!!! Bordom is hardest of all. Staying focused on it is challenging as hell when when that same pain has me spitting out bits of my own teeth. BUT I'M DOING IT!!!!! .....BECAUSE IT'S WORTH IT TO ME!
learning as I go
May 26, 2009 at 4:55 | Unregistered Commenterlearning as I go
oops...pardon me...I lied (forgot). I do have to pay about $250month for keeping track of ONLY my investments and profits. ( I pay my own bills) I actually admit to not being up to par to take on that responsibility......the rest of my affairs? I DO IT MYSELF!
learning as I go
May 26, 2009 at 7:01 | Unregistered Commenterlearning as I go
It smacks me in the gut each month to pay them, when my stocks portfolio is 55% lower!!!!! (thank God I was smart enough to diversify my portfolio ...but my stocks used to be about a 1/3 of it. Now it's a wee trickle in comparison! Grrrrrrrr) It's the only job I know of where you get paid to fail miserably! LOL!
learning as I go
May 26, 2009 at 7:16 | Unregistered Commenterlearning as I go
sorry learning, it wasn't a serious suggestion and I didn't mean to offend in any way.

It sounds like you're making a magnificent effort despite your injuries, well done for all you're doing!
May 26, 2009 at 13:45 | Unregistered Commentersmileypete
Hi Smileypete
Thank you for your kind words....but....upon rereading the post, I now see the humor. I wasn't in my best of circumstances. I come to this forum when I'm frozen in pain to wrestle up some extra gumption or enjoy the personalities of the posters. I'm ashamed to admit that a part of me still feels humiliated about what I am now.

I, in turn, owe you a heartfelt apology. Sometimes the shame/pain combination cuts me off from the aspects of living that I love best..............one of them being to share a good, hearty laugh! LOL!
Although I don't think the pointed cap will help with my doing my scut work, my wearing it might be in order when I lose my perspective! *blush*

The neighbors already don't know what to make of me. Imagine me walking my dog wearing a tall knome's cap made of purple velvet with the word Scut stitched in hot pink letters emblazoned across the middle. While I'm at it, I could attach several different colored pompoms dangling off the top of it and wear oversized, pointed elf shoes.
I'd look like Kwazimoto's mistress! Just my luck, some mean spirited person would upload it to YouTube! AAAACCCCKKKKK! ! ! !
Again, Smileypete, I apologize for my narrow focus! *blush*
learning as I go
May 26, 2009 at 14:39 | Unregistered Commenterlearning as I go
Esmerelda,

That doesn't sound so bad...
May 26, 2009 at 16:27 | Unregistered CommenterWill
Hey, Learning, you were telling me that people had stolen your on-line pseudonym before. Next time you might pick Esmerelda. Sounds neat!!! Oh, and I constructed a great visual of the purple pointed wizard's hat with the hot pink letters. Gotta love it.
May 26, 2009 at 18:32 | Unregistered CommenterMike
pssst, Mike
Make one for........bubbles! ROTFL! Like poor Bubba doesn't already catch enough heat...poor boy!
learning as I go
May 26, 2009 at 20:44 | Unregistered Commenterlearning as I go
Hi Will and Mike
Bless your sweet hearts, how very kind.....but if I tagged myself as Esmerelda....that would be blatent, false advertising!!!!! I don't look like a nubile, sultry Gypsy except when I over-indulge my pain meds dosage! ROTFL!
learning as I go
May 26, 2009 at 20:51 | Unregistered Commenterlearning as I go