To Think About . . .

The price of inaction is far greater than the cost of making a mistake. Meister Eckhart

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > High Resistance

Hey Guys

I am a 2nd year university student and have a really advanced math exam coming up in 20 days. However, I detest math to the extreme and have an extremely strong and deep seated resistance to starting my prep for the test. I know what steps to take and have even set milestones but am simply unable to start. As a newbie, what system should I implement in this situation.
December 7, 2018 at 13:26 | Unregistered CommenterJane
3T and timeboxing.

3T pick 3 tasks. Work on each one sequentially. When two are done, select 2 more

Timeboxing: For each task set a timer for 5 minutes. Do not work past 5 minutes on each of the 3 tasks. The next round, for any task not done, do 10 minutes, then 15, etc.

You can find both the official rules and tips for 3T and timeboxing on the site. I created an excel sheet with macros that help me track the time increments. I can send if interested.
December 7, 2018 at 14:11 | Unregistered Commentervegheadjones
Thanks for answering. Please post your sheet as I would really like to take a look at it. Although I've tried a strategy similar to yours of using small timeboxes and incrementally raising the time. It seems to backfire as it keeps breaking my momentum and makes me even more disinclined towards my linear algebra book. I don't have an issue with studying regulalrly, my resistance is only towards math.
December 7, 2018 at 15:36 | Unregistered CommenterJane
Jane,
If the 5-min timer is a non-starter, a similar strategy is to name a small task rather than a small time increment.

"Get the book out" is the classic small task. If that is too small to get you motivated, try expanding it until it feels just barely worth doing, e.g. "Read page one of the review sheet."
December 7, 2018 at 17:53 | Registered CommenterBernie
For me the best system for eliminating resistance to even the most resistance-prone tasks is the Randomizer-with-sliding method:
http://markforster.squarespace.com/blog/2014/1/22/random-time-management.html

It is uncanny how resistance just disappears.
December 7, 2018 at 18:13 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
I agree with Seraphim about the randomizr method.

Another method that can work well is a Panic List for the one subject of math.
December 8, 2018 at 3:35 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Thank You @Bernie @Seraphim and @Mark for asnwering. I will try the above methods and write about my results.
December 8, 2018 at 5:54 | Unregistered CommenterJane
Bribe yourself with rewards. They don't need to be big but they need to be something you want. Then keep your eyes on the rewards during the pauses so you'll notice the net resistance is smaller.
'When X started then reward 1', 'When Y done then reward 2' and so on.
This has been a good way to avoid cleaning the house when I have had a high resistance task to do.
And make sure the other tasks are such that they give you a feeling of success when done.
December 8, 2018 at 13:21 | Unregistered Commenterpaivi
Bribe yourself with rewards. They don't need to be big but they need to be something you want. Then keep your eyes on the rewards during the pauses so you'll notice the net resistance is smaller.

'When X started then reward 1', 'When Y done then reward 2' and so on.

This has been a good way to avoid cleaning the house while avoiding a high resistance task.

And make sure your other tasks are such that they give you a feeling of success when done.
December 8, 2018 at 13:24 | Unregistered Commenterpaivi
Is there a classmate you can study with? When I was in grad school, groups of us would get together when a paper deadline was near and then retreat to different corners of the apartment to write for half an hour or so and then compare how many words we wrote. With writing sometimes, looking forward to having it done provided the motivation,

Doing the studying with a partner -- making it a social commitment -- can make slogging through something you hate easier than flaying yourself to do it.

And this will sound horrible advice but: wait till the last minute. When it's urgent and the heat is on, that may provide the external motivation you're seeking.

The thought occurs to me: how do you do other things in life you don't want to do? Your taxes? Cleaning the toilet? Vacuuming? How do you get yourself to do those things? Can you adapt that mindset to this problem? Right now all you can see is "I hate Math" and you're trying to find a way around that thought. But that thought is just a thought -- it feels real because you're pushing so much emotion behind it, but it's not a Thing the way my cup of coffee is a Thing. How can you view this situation as just a situation that has to be managed? How would YOU advise a friend facing the same situation? Would you advise them to suffer through it?

Sorry if I'm blathering and all over the place with this post -- just top of the morning, first coffee of the day thoughts.
December 8, 2018 at 14:36 | Unregistered CommenterMike Brown
Rewards combined with the Random method have worked brilliantly. I managed to get around 25% of my total work done in about 13 hours of studying interspaced with breaks. A big thanks to all those who answered.
December 9, 2018 at 2:24 | Unregistered CommenterJane
It sounds like resistance is more of a problem than knowing what to do when. Here are some things that I have found helpful:

Self-compassion: Sit with your feelings about math and the test. It's probably a minefield. Many studies have shown that compassion for yourself help us to do better. It's a tricky balance. Compassion is not pitty. It's not saying woe is me, it's just sitting with someone who is in pain. It can make the rest of your studying much more effective.

Depending on what comes up when you sit with your discomfort, this might be a long-term approach.

Self care. If the studying isn't going to happen, use that time for something else.

S.T.R.E.S.S analysis: http://markforster.squarespace.com/forum/post/2674568
This method is used by the local ADHD and Asperger's Center, and I think it applies for everyone. It helps break down what's behind the resistance. Sometimes you discover something easy to deal with, sometimes something that's more complex.

Plan Z. Forget plans B and C, what is plan Z? This is also known as catastrophizing. What is the worst that will happen if you fail the test? Will you be kicked out of school? Will your entire future be ruined? Check with your undergrad advisor. Many schools have counselors who know the options for each program. It's like shining a flashlight in the darkness. Once we know what's there, we know what to prepare for, and usually we discover it's not as bad as we feared, and there are often concrete things we can do about it.

May you be well. May you be safe. May you be peaceful and at ease.
December 10, 2018 at 14:29 | Registered CommenterCricket
I tried the random time management system a few years ago, but it didn't stick. I was having trouble with the basic definition of a "task" being either an action or a project as defined by GTD, that I just couldn't really get to the algorithm part. But now that I'm over the task definition hurdle, I think I'd like to give this a try. I'm noticed some resistance creeping into my simple scanning over the past week. Some tasks I'm having a hard time moving on that I usually found time for in the past.

I have a good digital list going right now. Has there been any discussion on how to use radomizing with scanning with one long list with no pages? I like the idea of a physical die to use for randomization, just for fun. I found a 120-sided die online that looks intriguing. Is this suitable for my list with 210 lines of uncrossed and crossed-off tasks?
December 13, 2018 at 23:13 | Unregistered CommenterCameron
<< I have a good digital list going right now. Has there been any discussion on how to use randomizing with scanning with one long list with no pages? I like the idea of a physical die to use for randomization, just for fun. I found a 120-sided die online that looks intriguing. Is this suitable for my list with 210 lines of uncrossed and crossed-off tasks? >>

The pages and the crossed-out tasks are key elements in the Randomizer-with-sliding method. They allow you to clear out older pages more quickly. This mechanism puts a bias on older tasks. This is important to the dynamics of the system. Even though the tasks are selected randomly, it really feels like you are making strong progress, and resistance drops to zero.

I tried doing something similar on a pageless electronic system.

First, I needed to make sure there was a way to keep completed tasks on the page (crossed out or visible in some way). Many task apps allow you to do this. If your app doesn't, then maybe you can replace the task with an empty task or a "-" mark or something.

Second, you need some kind of mechanism to stay on a "page". I simply set up my screen to show a constant number of tasks (say, 20) on the screen.

That worked pretty well but was kind of annoying if I accidentally scrolled down the page or something.
December 14, 2018 at 1:29 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
There's a lot of great discussion about the size of dice to use, etc., in the comments on Mark's original post on the Randomizer system.

http://markforster.squarespace.com/blog/2014/1/22/random-time-management.html
December 14, 2018 at 1:31 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
Cameron:

<< I'm noticed some resistance creeping into my simple scanning over the past week. Some tasks I'm having a hard time moving on that I usually found time for in the past. >>

Maybe this is your subconscious (intuition) telling you that something is not right with the commitments behind those tasks? Maybe you should change your life, not your TM-system?
December 14, 2018 at 5:40 | Unregistered CommenterChristopher
Perhaps you are right Christopher.

One thing I haven't done much of is scheduling appointments with myself for things that I want to do daily. For example, I would like to exercise, practice piano, and compose music daily. I put them on my list to see if I would get to them more than I used to with scheduling. I think I am getting to them less. I think I need to do some scheduling to help me with it.

Is there any good posts out there or books that Mark has written that describe good practices for scheduling items versus keeping them on your long list?
December 16, 2018 at 23:13 | Unregistered CommenterCameron
Jane, how has this been going for you? It would be interesting to see if your success with this has continued.

For me, this discussion has triggered a lot of fun experimenting with the Randomizer method, which we have been discussing over here: http://markforster.squarespace.com/forum/post/2728961
December 19, 2018 at 0:30 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
Hey Seraphim,
Sorry for the late reply.

Thank You for asking.The Randomizer method was good, but one of the issues I faced was that such a long list would cause me feel distracted and high-strung

The first day's progress was spectacular but from then on, I felt a lack of the feeling of accomplishment that I usually feel after a hard day's worth of studying.

I decided to switch to a no list system and used the 2/1 Hammer Method which was a massive upgrade. I have been using it since the last 10 days, with great success and am getting 6-8 hours of studying daily and hitting all the milestones I have set.

I also used a software called Cold Turkey that auto-blocks distracting websites and internet access to my laptop and phone.This prevented me from getting off track during my breaks and wasting entire days as I used to earlier.

The No List Approach is indeed unique and very well suited to people like me who are overwhelmed by piles of work and need a structure that keeps them focused on their current tasks.

This blog is a goldmine of actionable information. I also love your posts and comments, Seraphim. Do you have your own blog? If so, then I would love to read your content too.

Many Thanks to both you and Mark and also to all those who commented on this post to help me.
December 21, 2018 at 9:44 | Unregistered CommenterJane
Cameron:

AFAIK, Mark has always held scheduling as a perfectly valid way of doing things. His latest books covers the importance of such routines more exhaustingly.

Routines, like practising your instrument as a certain time, can be prompted by the long list. If you work through the long list fast enough, your practising routine should "stand out" naturally at the right time.

Daily routines and the long list, it takes some time to get into the groove ;-), but it is perfectly doable. I had trouble with this too, but it does work.

What I think the underlying thing is, with scheduling you already committed to the time in writing, with the long list this is not so obvious. You kinda have to remind yourself when you wanted to play.

But ultimately the long list prepares you better, internally to do the things when you really want to do them.
December 21, 2018 at 17:06 | Unregistered CommenterChristopher
Jane -

<< The first day's progress was spectacular but from then on, I felt a lack of the feeling of accomplishment that I usually feel after a hard day's worth of studying. >>

Yes I have been experiencing something similar. Randomizer is great for breaking a wall of resistance but doesn’t seem to do so well as an everyday system.

<< I decided to switch to a no list system and used the 2/1 Hammer Method which was a massive upgrade. I have been using it since the last 10 days, with great success and am getting 6-8 hours of studying daily and hitting all the milestones I have set. >>

That is a great testimony!

<< The No List Approach is indeed unique and very well suited to people like me who are overwhelmed by piles of work and need a structure that keeps them focused on their current tasks. >>

Yes, No List is really helpful for me whenever I am feeling especially overwhelmed. It’s great for bringing focus and getting things moving.

This gives me an idea. I’ve been pondering how Simple Scanning (and probably every Long List system) breaks down when I can’t cycle fast enough and thus lose an intuition for the list as a whole. But I remember when I was using No List, somehow I maintained that sense of my whole context and was able to get to the heart of things quickly - without any master list at all. Sometimes details got dropped or missed but it usually didn’t matter - the really important stuff was getting done, and quickly.

Hmm, hmm. Got to think about this some more.

<< This blog is a goldmine of actionable information. >>

Yes, Mark's content is the best on the Internet, and he has maintained a wonderful community here.

<< I also love your posts and comments, Seraphim. Do you have your own blog? >>

Thank you, I really appreciate that! No, I don’t have my own blog. I’ve had a couple of false starts though, LOL.
December 30, 2018 at 16:18 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
This is such a great discussion.
Glad to see Seraphim's evolution in thinking in the process of creating Serial No-list system.

So it's not long vs Short list, but a clever combination of the both that strikes the balance & ensures consistency.

Hope to give it a try. Let me see how it goes.
February 2, 2022 at 19:40 | Unregistered CommenterSathya
Hi Jane,

Also very impressed with your testimony of doing no-list (2/1 Hammer Method)!

With results like that, who needs another system?

That said, I think that Mark's question "What am I resisting not doing?" merits mention in this thread. He distinguishes between resisting doing something and resisting not doing it. It's a powerful question. In my experience it works best to ask it without referring to a list.

http://markforster.squarespace.com/blog/2021/1/17/a-new-question-for-fvp-simple-scanning-and-life-in-general.html

and later posts, including:

http://markforster.squarespace.com/blog/2021/1/19/a-new-question-examples.html
February 3, 2022 at 14:06 | Registered CommenterBelacqua
I notice that not all of these no-list methods are on the list of TM systems:
http://markforster.squarespace.com/blog/2016/4/12/no-list-types-i-the-hammer.html
February 3, 2022 at 19:20 | Unregistered CommenterMark H.