As I have previously mentioned, I have been experimenting with some further changes to the SuperFocus rules. These have been performing extremely well, so I am releasing them now. Please note these do make some considerable changes to the system as follows:
1) Unfinished tasks are now re-entered in Column 2 of the following page and not the same page.
2) Column 2 must always be cleared before moving on to the next page.
3) Once Column 2 of a page is filled, everything remaining on that page must be cleared the next time it is worked on.
THE NEW RULES:
Normal AF1 rules, except:
1. There is a second column (Column 2) on each page. This is used for adding additional tasks to pages as follows:
a. Re-entering unfinished tasks. These are entered in Column 2 of the following page. If you are currently on the last page, then the following page is the first active page of the list.
b. Entering tasks which you want to do urgently. These are entered on the current page.
2. Column 2 is treated as a part of the page along with Column 1, with the difference that all tasks in Column 2 must be actioned before moving on to the next page. No unactioned tasks may be left in Column 2.
3. Unfinished tasks are always re-entered in Column 2, even on the last page.
4. Once Column 2 is full, no further tasks may be entered on that page.
5. The following page for re-entry purposes means the next page which has any room left in Column 2. When you are currently on the last page, the following page is the first active page of the list. Similarly when entering urgent tasks, if column 2 of the current page is full the tasks are entered on the next page with room.
6. If no tasks are done in Column 1 during a visit to a page, all remaining tasks in Column 1 are dismissed. This rule does not apply to the last page of the list.
7. When you visit a page which is full (i.e. has no space left in Column 2), all tasks on that page must be actioned or dismissed.
Signs and symbols
a. When a task has been actioned, it is crossed out with a horizontal line.
b. When a task is dismissed it is highlighted.
c. When a dismissed task is reviewed and either reinstated or removed altogether, it is crossed out as it is no longer subject to review.
d. A page which has no active tasks left on it is marked with a cross in the outside upper corner.
e. When there are no active tasks left on any previous pages, the cross is surrounded with a circle.
f. When there are no dismissed tasks still subject to review on any previous pages, the circle is highlighted.
The aim of these rule changes is to increase the flow of the system by no longer re-entering unfinished tasks on the same page. At the same time additional pressure is brought to bear to keep working on unfinished tasks. Once a task has been entered in Column 2 it must remain in Column 2 on every page until it is finished.
The new rule about what happens when the page is full is intended to encourage sensible use of Column 2. It is vital to the whole procedure, that one is clear in one’s own mind when a task is finished, and this needs to be defined carefully.
I will be publishing consolidated rules for those not acquainted with previous versions shortly.