To Think About . . .

Success is the product of daily habits, not once-in-a-lifetime transformations. James Clear

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > SuperFocus - Forthcoming 3rd Revision

Margaret1:

After War and Peace my next major reading project will be Proust's A La Recherche du Temps Perdu in French. That's over a million words!
January 28, 2011 at 15:25 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Day 7 Progress Report:

War and Peace: 30% complete
Review of AF systems: 92% complete
Average walks per week: 4
Free of backlogs? Yes
January 28, 2011 at 15:37 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Never heard of that one. Is the idea behind that one to lose all your time (1 million words!) searching for your lost time?!
January 28, 2011 at 16:02 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
Never heard of Proust, OMG!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwAOc4g3K-g
January 28, 2011 at 16:14 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Mark do you sleep well ? LOL
Proust is one of the most boring books i have ever read and never finished !!!!!!!!
And i am French !
January 28, 2011 at 16:49 | Registered CommenterJupiter
I read it in English about 30 years ago. I thought then, and still do, that it was the best book I'd ever read.
January 28, 2011 at 16:54 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
+Ad Jesum Per Mariam+

Checks Wikipedia... "a novel in seven volumes..." eek...

Mark, you are going to post the SAFv3 before you start that novel, right? ^___^

God bless!
January 28, 2011 at 17:05 | Registered Commenternuntym
Mark,

OMG!! I've always respected you, but now that I know you are a Monty Python fan, I have a whole new level of respect for you!!!!!!

I was in high school when PBS started rebroadcasting the series. I think we were one year behind over here in the US. I became an instant fan, because there was enough surface humor for me to laugh at. But, I have remained a fan, because their humor is on so many levels. I even bought the two-volume scripts to go along with my complete video set, so I could fully understand.

The Proust Summary Contest reminded of another absurd competition skit they did: Olympic Hide and Seek.

I love Monty Python. I'm still not sure who my favorite is: It keeps rotating between John Cleese, Eric Idle, and Michael Palin.

Now, I can't stop laughing as I remember 'Close Order Swanning About', 'The Bishop', 'The Cheese Shop', 'The Lumberjack Song', 'The Dead Parrot Sketch', 'The Larch', stop it, I can't stop thinking about it, I have to get back to work......stop....Brain, please turn off.

A couple of years ago, my wife and I went to New York to see Eric Idle's Spamalot. OMG, if you haven't seen it, you definitely need to. I still pop in the CD and sing along. It's absolutely hilarious.

Thanks for the link. And, wow, do I now have a lot of respect for you! :-)

For your enjoyment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMwb3wG2fC8

Matt
January 28, 2011 at 17:36 | Registered Commenter2mc
I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay...

So for us ignorant and unkempt masses who've never read classics beyond Dickens, what are we missing? Is it possible to communicate the value and benefit of knowing Tolstoy, Proust, Joyce, Atwood?
January 28, 2011 at 19:05 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
Alan:

Not really. You just have to read them.
January 28, 2011 at 19:32 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
And I am reading '1000 years of annoying the French' by Stephen Clarke, a gripping one-sided view of history between Great Britain (mostly England although a few hundred Welsh longbow men were useful) and the place where foreigners begin.
January 28, 2011 at 21:27 | Registered CommenterRoger J
Roger J:

I particularly enjoyed the chapter where it was pointed out that it was the French themselves who put Joan of Arc to death - for the dreadful crime of wearing trousers!
January 29, 2011 at 11:18 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Day 8 Progress Report:

War and Peace: 33% complete
Review of AF systems: 100% complete
Average walks per week: 4.4
Free of backlogs? Yes
January 29, 2011 at 13:22 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Is there a book report coming?
January 29, 2011 at 15:00 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
Alan: <Is there a book report coming?>

Yes, '1000 Years of annoying the French' is very good, especially the period between c1050 and 2009, only one home loss for the English (1066), 500 + pages of entertaining writing, I would make it prescribed reading for English schools in the UK - if there are any left.

And as Monty Python has been allowed onto the Forum, listen to 'I'm so worried' and one realises nothing has changed since it was recorded eg Middle East, pollution, and 'the baggage retrieval system they've got at Heathrow', classic.
January 29, 2011 at 16:25 | Registered CommenterRoger J
Roger J:

<< only one home loss for the English (1066) >>

Surely the Normans weren't French? They were Scandinavians ("Northmen") who had beaten the French, taken their lands and were now extending their conquest to their close relatives in England.
January 29, 2011 at 16:55 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Mark,

Yes, they were, as Stephen Clarke points out in his new textbook, but I was feeling magnanimous!

Senlac/Battle must have been more like a Mafia family feud than two 'nations'.

I won't be around in 2066, but I do hope to be at Waterloo in Belgium (or whatever that region will be called by then) in 4 years' time come June. Later that same year will be the 600th anniversary of the Welsh longbow men and some Englishmen putting yet another one over the CESMs - Agincourt, about which someone before Stephen Ambrose coined the phrase 'Band of Brothers'.

Back to work, first day of the working week here in Damascus, welcome rain, could be home in the UK when I look outside the office.
January 30, 2011 at 7:03 | Registered CommenterRoger J
Day 9 Progress Report:

War and Peace: 34% complete
Average walks per week: 3.9
Free of backlogs? Yes
January 30, 2011 at 23:10 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Roger J:

<< only one home loss for the English (1066) >>

Surely large chunks of what is now France were home until we lost them?

Mark,

Your conquest of Literature is beginning to look like a numbers game. Though what true Englishman could resist a million words kicked off by sitting down with a cake and a nice cup of tea?

Regards, Will
January 31, 2011 at 10:08 | Registered CommenterWill
Or perhaps he likes to stroll down the lane book in hand!
January 31, 2011 at 12:07 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
Day 10 Progress Report:

War and Peace: 38% complete
Average walks per week: 3.5
Free of backlogs? Yes
February 1, 2011 at 1:04 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Hey Mark, maybe you can switch to http://www.amazon.co.uk/War-Peace-DVD-Anthony-Hopkins/dp/B000B8TJ80 ?

Or at least http://www.audible.com/pd/ref=sr_1_1?asin=B002V0PVJC&qid=1296581110&sr=1-1

You could finish the audio version in only 38 hours!

LOL
February 1, 2011 at 17:27 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
Seraphim:

I read a lot faster than that.
February 1, 2011 at 18:58 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
So do I... :)

-David
February 1, 2011 at 19:27 | Registered CommenterDavid Drake
Day 11 Progress Report:

War and Peace: 40% complete
Average walks per week: 3.2
Free of backlogs? Yes
February 1, 2011 at 22:58 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
The "no backlog" is impressive!
February 1, 2011 at 23:09 | Registered CommenterErik
How many other tasks are you juggling? I can see this working well with only a few projects, but will it fall apart when you have a lot more to manage all at once?
February 2, 2011 at 17:31 | Registered Commenterdrummergirl
Day 12 Progress Report:

War and Peace: 43% complete
Free of backlogs? Yes
February 2, 2011 at 21:22 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
drummergirl:

<< How many other tasks are you juggling? >>

http://www.markforster.net/blog/2011/1/29/testing-superfocus-v-3.html
February 2, 2011 at 21:27 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
@Mark: maybe you could add those new goals to your daily report? Just a thought :).
February 2, 2011 at 23:33 | Registered CommenterTijl Kindt
Tijl:

I haven't added them because they are not easily measured, and anyway you can see them happening!
February 3, 2011 at 0:02 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Day 13 Progress Report:

War and Peace: 45% complete
Average walks per week: 3.7
Free of backlogs? Yes
February 3, 2011 at 20:31 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Day 14 Progress Report:

War and Peace: 46% complete
Free of backlogs? Yes
February 4, 2011 at 21:44 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Almost halfway through! Is that where it shifts from "War" to "Peace"?
February 5, 2011 at 12:23 | Registered CommenterDS
Day 15 Progress Report:

War and Peace: 49% complete
Free of backlogs? Yes
February 5, 2011 at 21:37 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
DS:

<< Almost halfway through! Is that where it shifts from "War" to "Peace"? >>

No, the other way round. The action has just reached 1812.

Those of you with any historical knowledge will know that is the year of Napoleon's invasion of Russia.
February 5, 2011 at 21:40 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
And also know that it was the year that the US declared war on Britain.

Hitler also delayed his invasion till June, almost to the same day.
February 6, 2011 at 5:19 | Registered CommenterRoger J
Hi Mark,

I'm eager to hear the full details of SFv3 later this month.

To give us a better idea of what the system is letting you manage while you trial the system, could you give us an indication of your typical reading speed? With just a "percentage complete" of a 560,000-word book it doesn't really give me much idea of how big a task that is for you or what your progress means without knowing your personal conversion rate of words to hours! 8-)
February 6, 2011 at 10:10 | Registered CommenterRich
Rich:

Well, I read a book like "War and Peace" a lot slower than I read the comments on this Forum!
February 6, 2011 at 11:28 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Day 16 Progress Report:

War and Peace: 56% complete
Average walks per week: 3.1
Free of backlogs? Yes
February 7, 2011 at 0:25 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Hooray! The forthcoming 3rd revision has now come forth!
February 7, 2011 at 17:00 | Registered CommenterWooba
Day 17 Progress Report:

War and Peace: 57% complete
Average walks per week: 3.3
Free of backlogs? Yes
February 7, 2011 at 23:55 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Day 18 Progress Report:

War and Peace: 60% complete
Average walks per week: 3.1
Free of backlogs? Yes

One interesting thing that's arisen during the testing is that the length of the list has remained quite short compared to other AF-type systems. I'm ending today with only 4 1/3 active pages. Seventeen pages are no longer active, with a total of ten dismissed items waiting review.
February 8, 2011 at 23:49 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Does one page having two columns equal to the previous incarnations' 2 pages (except Superfocus obviously) or do you find it's not equivalent?
February 9, 2011 at 1:19 | Registered CommenterErik
>>One interesting thing that's arisen during the testing is that the length of the list has remained quite short compared to other AF-type systems. I'm ending today with only 4 1/3 active pages. Seventeen pages are no longer active, with a total of ten dismissed items waiting review.<<

This is why I'm pretty sure my procrastination problem is going to be beaten with the new system. Instead of my list growing frantically at the end even faster than I can knock things off in the middle, that double-check system with the second column seems to be keeping me focussed in a way that hasn't happened before. Much less is being re-entered, and even the repeating tasks (the eternal dishes and laundry) are sitting there at the very bottom of the list taunting me to wait till after the next 'sleep' so there will be some for me to do.

>>Does one page having two columns equal to the previous incarnations' 2 pages (except Superfocus obviously) or do you find it's not equivalent?<<

I know this was aimed at Mark F, but just from today my own personal experience is that my column two is not getting much at all except the time limited items that can't really be completed, eg, descaling the water distiller involved two steps, set it to boil, leave it for 20 minutes or so, and then complete the actual cleaning. The only other thing that made it there was the dishes (they were way behind and needed several 'runs' to get them finished for lack of bench space) - and that was there from yesterday and had been actioned/crossed off then.
February 9, 2011 at 6:04 | Registered Commenterwairererose
Mark, i just wonder whether you treat "War and Peace" as a recurring or an unfinished task. If it's a recurring task, how do you determine that you are "finished" for the time being and are allowed to put it on c1 last page (instead of c2 following page)?
February 9, 2011 at 10:19 | Registered CommenterChristian G.
He has posted that for this special case he's made it one large unfinshed task, and keeps pushing it along. More normally one would define a subtask that is done when you specified it is done, and reentered as the next step.
February 9, 2011 at 11:29 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
Erik:

<< Does one page having two columns equal to the previous incarnations' 2 pages (except Superfocus obviously) or do you find it's not equivalent? >>

Remember that there are no active tasks in Column 2 on any page except the current one and the following one. As of right now I have a total of four Column 2 tasks for the whole list.

So no, it's not really at all equivalent.
February 9, 2011 at 16:48 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Day 19 Progress Report:

War and Peace: 62% complete
Average walks per week: 2.9
Free of backlogs? Yes

Number of active pages: 4.0
Completed pages (no active tasks): 18
Dismissed tasks awaiting review: 9
February 9, 2011 at 16:57 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Day 20 Progress Report:

War and Peace: 65% complete