To Think About . . .

The price of inaction is far greater than the cost of making a mistake. Meister Eckhart

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > SuperFocus - Forthcoming 3rd Revision

Mark:

<<Remember that there are no active tasks in Column 2 on any page except the current one and the following one. As of right now I have a total of four Column 2 tasks for the whole list.>>

Touché!
And might I had, very pleasantly ;)
February 11, 2011 at 9:20 | Registered CommenterErik
Erik:

Actually what I wrote is not quite right, because if Column 2 is full, any task for that page gets carried forward to the next page with space in Column 2.

Nevertheless as of right now I have a total of six Column 2 tasks for the whole list.
February 11, 2011 at 21:37 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Day 21 Progress Report:

Away for most of the day, so not much time available to work on the list.

War and Peace: 66% complete
Review of AF systems: 100% complete
Average walks per week: 3.0
Free of backlogs? Yes

Number of active pages: 5.8
Completed pages (no active tasks): 19
Dismissed tasks awaiting review: 17
February 11, 2011 at 23:52 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Day 22 Progress Report

War and Peace: 70% complete
Average walks per week: 2.9
Free of backlogs? Yes

Number of active pages: 8
Completed pages (no active tasks): 19
Dismissed tasks awaiting review: 10
February 12, 2011 at 22:18 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Mark:

Is the daily progress report mainly for the benefit of the readership here, or do you see it as a worthwhile endeavour for top down Superfocus planning and / or a means of ploviding continuous feedback?

I ask this as it appears that you seem to have set three main targets plus avoiding any backlogs.
February 12, 2011 at 22:25 | Registered Commenterleon
Leon:

I explain my reasons at the beginning of the thread.
February 12, 2011 at 23:53 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Day 23 Progress Report

A heavy cold and persistent rain have made it impossible for me to do any walking.

War and Peace: 78% complete
Average walks per week: 2.7
Free of backlogs? Yes

Number of active pages: 7
Completed pages (no active tasks): 21
Dismissed tasks awaiting review: 25
February 13, 2011 at 23:15 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Day 24 Progress Report

In bed for much of the day with a heavy cold and cough. Good for reading but not much else!

War and Peace: 89% complete
Average walks per week: 2.6
Free of backlogs? Yes

Number of active pages: 7.5
February 14, 2011 at 22:21 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Hope you feel better soon, Mark - maybe you've been working too hard. You'll no doubt be zipping through War and Peace!
February 14, 2011 at 23:21 | Registered CommenterMargaret1
Good wishes for a speedy recovery from me too - at least you have plenty of reading to do. Be sure to put sleeping on your list as you will need some rest!
February 14, 2011 at 23:23 | Registered CommenterAlison Reeves
Day 25 Progress Report

No better today, so very little time spent working the list.

War and Peace: 95% complete
% complete
Average walks per week: 2.5
Free of backlogs? Yes

Number of active pages: 7.8
February 15, 2011 at 22:37 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Mark,

How many passes through your list do you typically do in one day?

I feel I simply am not going through my list fast enough, so the end of column 1 on the last page feels like a far off land where I feel scared to put tasks because my mind knows it may be days until I get to it.

Sometimes a day or more is spent on a single page. This puts a significant strain on the efficacy of the entire system. This was true from AF1 and is still true here.

I cannot forever rely on column 2 here, too much of that would also lead to problems.

I have been trying to work on my little-and-often skills, but I balance that with the idea all tasks have some fixed mental and time costs to them (startup time, getting thinking about it), so switching too often will eventually be counterproductive. That and naturally I am someone that gets absorbed in tasks and can work for a long time on one.

So a follow-up question to the above, how long do you often spend on tasks that are more "office-types": read report, write report, research this on internet, prepare presentation, etc. ?
February 16, 2011 at 1:10 | Registered CommenterOhNiners
So far I'm doing 2 pages a day. I have 5 pages. However, as pages mature, there will be less stuff on each but more pages. My guess is I'll end up going around twice a week. But I may slow to once a week or accellerate to once a day.
February 16, 2011 at 2:02 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
Hi,

I use SF3 now ( as test ) and I have a task that is :
1- Send invoices to the office.
This task is a recurring.
When it is done I put it on col 1.

Is this correct ?

B.R
Henrik
February 16, 2011 at 11:17 | Registered CommenterHenrik Ekenberg
Column 1 of the last page is correct.
February 16, 2011 at 12:13 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
After just about a week, here are my early thoughts (as a very dedicated DWM user) and stats.

I'm doing an electronic implementation in Toodledo, with a folder for each 25-item "page" and using task priorities to mimic two columns.

Here's a snapshot of my list as of about 10 this morning...

Pages Closed or Dismissed: 6
Pages Open: 5

Individual 25-item Page Stats: (open in column 1 / total in column 2 / open in column 2)
Page 7: 3/5/0
Page 8: 10/1/0
Page 9: 15/3/0
Page 10 (current page): 19/3/2
Page 11(last page, nothing actioned on it yet): 1/0/0

Unlike a lot of other folks, I cycle through my list MULTIPLE times daily - I'm the very embodiment of little and often.

Things are getting moved forward and knocked off at an *astonishing* pace. I haven't yet dismissed a page for non-action; I HAVE dismissed/deleted/calendared items that I wasn't ready to work on at the moment. There are a number of tasks that under DWM would have gotten worked on, then pushed onto page W and sat there for a week before I worked on them again, and progressed very slowly (the perfect example is transcribing a number of interviews, which is work that I am *extremely* resistant to but that has to get done if I ever want to get my PhD. I plowed through one in just 2 days at the end of last week due to its presence in column 2).

To a certain extent, this system changes what ends up staying on the list. Nearly every "I should/could/want to" still gets PUT on the list but then when I come to them later, if it's not something that I can/need to/want to work on at the time it gets dumped into my "AFReminder" calendar at a more opportune time.

Overall, though, I'm struck with the power to keep me moving on things. I've always said that the dated dismissal of DWM was a strong motivating factor for me because I'm a really good starter but not such a great finisher but... it seems to be turning out that column two is even more powerful that dates! The mechanics of WORKING the list don't quite sing to me in the way that the DWM mechanics did but I think it'll come. A week in, I don't feel like I have to consciously think about where to put things, etc. like I did at the beginning.
February 16, 2011 at 18:43 | Registered CommenterSarah
Sarah, interesting to hear. I'm a recent PhD grad and it looks like I'm the opposite of you: I spend long periods chugging through only a few tasks, making me feel like so much other stuff gets neglected.

So for certain bigger projects, you never feel like too much little and often is inefficient?

e.g. say you have a research paper to write. How long do you typically work on it?

For me only 15 or 30 minutes seems like a waste in that there is so much "start up" (open the paper, figures, other papers, lab notes; think about wording certain arguments; etc). I feel like to get in that mental groove takes 10-15 minutes as is, so stopping soon would be a waste, no?
February 16, 2011 at 21:05 | Registered CommenterOhNiners
OhNiners

<< How many passes through your list do you typically do in one day? >>

At least one.

<< I feel I simply am not going through my list fast enough, so the end of column 1 on the last page feels like a far off land where I feel scared to put tasks because my mind knows it may be days until I get to it. >>

You're right, you're not going through your list fast enough. Try writing your tasks smaller, so that it takes less time to finish them. There are many ways you can do this, such as:

"Write Section 1" of Report instead of "Write Report"
"Look up Bob's phone number" instead of "Call Bob"
"Work on Accounts for x minutes" instead of "Finish Accounts"

<< Sometimes a day or more is spent on a single page. This puts a significant strain on the efficacy of the entire system. This was true from AF1 and is still true here. I cannot forever rely on column 2 here, too much of that would also lead to problems. >>

Remember SuperFocus is designed to be self-correcting. The easiest way to get the system into balance is just to follow the rules.

<< So a follow-up question to the above, how long do you often spend on tasks that are more "office-types": read report, write report, research this on internet, prepare presentation, etc. ? >>

I wouldn't spend more than 40 minutes, and more usually 20.
February 16, 2011 at 21:35 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Alan:

<< So far I'm doing 2 pages a day. I have 5 pages. However, as pages mature, there will be less stuff on each but more pages. My guess is I'll end up going around twice a week. But I may slow to once a week or accellerate to once a day. >>

My recommendation is that one aims to do at least one pass through the list a day.
February 16, 2011 at 21:37 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Sarah:

<< it seems to be turning out that column two is even more powerful than dates! >>

Thanks, Sarah for a good example of how to work SuperFocus. I think it's important for those who move very slowly through the list to note that the full power of Column 2 is only unleashed if you are moving fairly quickly.

A lot of OhNiner's problem would be solved if instead of working on one task for hours, he worked on it for a bit and then put it in column 2. To say that it takes 10-15 minutes to get back into the mental groove simply doesn't relate to my experience (and not to yours either by the sound of it!)
February 16, 2011 at 21:47 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
There seems to be a self-reinforcement going on. If you move slowly, more things will be deemed urgent. (I can't wait until I get around to it because I'm moving slowly and that will take a long time). These extra urgent items make things go slower. You have more active tasks at a time, and you go slower.

On the other hand, if you move quickly, fewer things will be deemed urgent. So there's less urgent items, and you move quicker. You have fewer active tasks at a time, and you get around the list rapidly.
February 16, 2011 at 22:06 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
Day 26 Progress Report

Still laid up with temperature and flu-like symptoms. Feeling a little better today.

War and Peace: 98% complete

I've finished the actual novel and am now on the long and boring epilogue, so my speed has declined!

Average walks per week: 2.4
Free of backlogs? No (I've got a backlog of Discussion Forum subscriptions)

Number of active pages: 7.7
Completed pages (no active tasks): 22
Dismissed tasks awaiting review: 28
February 16, 2011 at 22:34 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Hi Mark,

First of all, I wish you a swift recovery!
Secondly, I notice that you have quite a few dismissed tasks awaiting review. Can you explain that? Aren't you normally supposed to review all dismissed tasks on a page when you come back to that page? I have been using SAF for two weeks now, and I have only needed to dismiss two tasks (I circle through all pages about once every 1.5 days). Though I expect some pages are going to be dismissed pretty soon.

Anyway, just wondering about that. Not really concerned or anything :).
February 17, 2011 at 0:28 | Registered CommenterTijl Kindt
Thanks Mark and Sarah, Helpful info to hear how you are working through the list!

Mark your detailed response to my post is definitely helpful.

I will try to speed things up and see what happens.

I've heard the 10-15 min figure elsewhere as well, but I agree for most tasks it shouldn't be too big of a deal.
February 17, 2011 at 0:34 | Registered CommenterOhNiners
OhNiners:
"For me only 15 or 30 minutes seems like a waste in that there is so much "start up" (open the paper, figures, other papers, lab notes; think about wording certain arguments; etc). I feel like to get in that mental groove takes 10-15 minutes as is, so stopping soon would be a waste, no?"

I think this is VERY idiosyncratic. If you read back through these forums you'll find lots of discussion back and forth between people who struggle to get through their lists once a day (like you) and people who cycle through very rapidly (me and - apparently - Mark). I'm not kidding when I say I am the embodiment of little and often... I routinely work on things in 10 or 15 minute chunks. I don't set out to do this, it's just the rhythm that works for me. I ramp up to things pretty quickly and honestly, I think my subconscious does a lot of the "how should I word this argument" processing when I'm not paying attention (or I have a flash of inspiration when I'm in the middle of something else, which then gets put on my list as a task to be filed away appropriately later). I don't actually *time* my work - but when I start feeling like I'd rather check facebook than work on writing the abstract that's due on the first of March, it's time to advance it to column 2 of the next page and move on to the next thing because my efficiency is about to TANK. There are definitely times when I will sit down and work on something for hours at one sitting... But one of the greatest gifts that Mark's systems have given me is the acceptance that there's nothing WRONG with NOT working that way.
February 17, 2011 at 2:04 | Registered CommenterSarah
<< but when I start feeling like I'd rather check facebook than work on writing the abstract that's due on the first of March, it's time to advance it to column 2 of the next page and move on to the next thing because my efficiency is about to TANK.>>

Haha, well put.

Also DEFINITELY agree with you about how the your mind seems to process things when you take a break from them...

Tried speeding things up today, so far so good, will keep it up.
February 17, 2011 at 4:20 | Registered CommenterOhNiners
Tijl:

<< I notice that you have quite a few dismissed tasks awaiting review. Can you explain that?

Yes. Because the range of activities I can do at the moment is quite limited I am having to dismiss a lot of tasks which I wouldn't normally dismiss. That's nothing to worry about - they can all be reinstated when I'm well again.

<< Aren't you normally supposed to review all dismissed tasks on a page when you come back to that page? >>

No, dismissed tasks are only present on non-active pages, so you don't come back to them. Dismissed tasks are only reviewed at intervals.

<< I have been using SAF for two weeks now, and I have only needed to dismiss two tasks (I circle through all pages about once every 1.5 days). Though I expect some pages are going to be dismissed pretty soon. >>

Can I just check that you've got the rules right? When tasks are dismissed on a page, that page ceases to be active. So there should be no dismissed tasks on an active page.
February 17, 2011 at 9:56 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
?Mark Forster: Get well. [Soon]
February 17, 2011 at 10:12 | Registered CommenterWill
Mark: thank you for the clarification. I do think I have the rules right (except for your first comment about getting back to dismissed tasks). After about 18 days, I have 12 pages of tasks, only one of which is no longer active (the one with the two dismissed tasks). But like I said, I have the feeling that a few pages will be dismissed (along with their open tasks) pretty soon since I'm running out of tasks that I'm willing to do on a few of them... :)
February 17, 2011 at 11:18 | Registered CommenterTijl Kindt
Tijl, Mark and others,
<<Can I just check that you've got the rules right? When tasks are dismissed on a page, that page ceases to be active. So there should be no dismissed tasks on an active page. >>

I remember a post (years ago ;-) where we said, that dismissing a task is also an action on a task. Thus, if I come across a task on an active page I dismiss it if appropriate (decide to think about this later). Skipping these tasks, when cycling through the pages. As a result I have also dismissed tasks on active pages.
But, my expierence shows, that this tempts to cheat the system. If no task stands out at the moment, you could dismiss one task. Thus, you had worked on one task (decided to dismiss it) and could turn to the next page without dismissing the whole page...

I'm not sure if this is good or bad :-/

- Jens
February 17, 2011 at 11:41 | Registered Commenterjens
jens:

You are confusing dismissing with deleting. Dismissing is when you mark a task with a highlighter - so it is no longer active but will be reviewed at some stage in the future.

Dismissal can only be done in accordance with the rules. In SF and AF1 the page becomes inactive when tasks on it are dismissed. There can be no dismissed tasks on an active page.

Deleting is when you decide you are not going to do a task at all, so you cross it off the list for good. You can delete a task anywhere on the list at any time.
February 17, 2011 at 11:52 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Mark wrote:
<<My recommendation is that one aims to do at least one pass through the list a day. >>

I wonder if it affects the system if I do a quick review of the complete list in one go, to see if something urgent / or with due date stands out. Or in other words, to check if something will exlode if I decide to veg out in front of the TV...

I couldn't manage to daily work the complete list at home (no problem at work). To much ad-hoc stuff coming up.

- Jens
February 17, 2011 at 12:01 | Registered Commenterjens
Add urgent task: "scan list to see if anything will explode if I watch TV".
No need to break rules :-)
February 17, 2011 at 13:02 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
<<Dismissal can only be done in accordance with the rules. In SF and AF1 the page becomes inactive when tasks on it are dismissed. There can be no dismissed tasks on an active page.>>

I had misunderstood this as well. I thought I could always delete or dismiss a task. So I have some pages with highlighted tasks that I know I am just not ready to even consider in the near future (and don't want the distraction of them being active tasks) but want to make sure they are available for review later.

I think that is much like Mike used to do. Didn't he write everything down and immediately dismiss anything he didn't foresee working on within a week.
February 17, 2011 at 13:45 | Registered CommenterMartyH
Marty writes:
"I had misunderstood this as well. I thought I could always delete or dismiss a task. So I have some pages with highlighted tasks that I know I am just not ready to even consider in the near future (and don't want the distraction of them being active tasks) but want to make sure they are available for review later. "

Why not put these on a someday/maybe list or as timed reminders in your calendar for the time when you think you WILL be ready and able to work on them?
February 17, 2011 at 15:30 | Registered CommenterSarah
MartyH:

<< I know I am just not ready to even consider in the near future >>

If you know you're not going to consider them in the near future, then I wouldn't think having them as dismissed tasks would be a good idea. It would mean keeping pages and pages of notebook (perhaps even notebooks and notebooks) open for review. It would seem much more sensible to keep them all together in one place as Sarah suggests.
February 17, 2011 at 16:25 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Day 27 Progress Report

War and Peace: 99% complete

The epilogue is even more long and boring than I anticipated. Very slow going!

Average walks per week: 2.3
Free of backlogs? Yes

Number of active pages: 6.3
Completed pages (no active tasks): 25
Dismissed tasks awaiting review: 40
February 17, 2011 at 23:03 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Day 28 Progress Report (Final Report)

War and Peace: 100% complete
Average walks per week: 2.25
Free of backlogs? Yes

All my benchmarks have been achieved except for the walking one of at least three walks per week, This was on course until I caught flu over the last week of the test.

Number of active pages: 5.7
Completed pages (no active tasks): 26
Dismissed tasks awaiting review: 33
February 18, 2011 at 12:55 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Many many congratulations on conquering a literary everest (and in terms of speed, this must surely rank high in the record books).

I hope it has been as enjoyable to read as it has been for us to watch your progress.

Best wishes and speedy recovery.
February 18, 2011 at 13:02 | Registered Commenterneumatist
Mark:

Well done! Hope you are feeling better. Superfocus is flowing very well for me, thank you for sharing it with us all. Best wishes.
February 18, 2011 at 13:50 | Registered Commenterleon
Congratulations, Mark! We all definitely watched your progress with Superfocus 3 test-drive. But an elaborate review of "War in Peace" would be even more great!
February 18, 2011 at 18:58 | Registered Commentersindikat
>>Marty writes:
"I had misunderstood this as well. I thought I could always delete or dismiss a task. So I have some pages with highlighted tasks that I know I am just not ready to even consider in the near future (and don't want the distraction of them being active tasks) but want to make sure they are available for review later. "<<

I turn my notebook into the future and put it on a page way ahead of where I am, or a little closer if I think it's something I will get to sooner. I know there are things that I will reach before I am ready even this way, but they won't be overlooked and I won't be keeping around old lists that I could get rid of because they're otherwise completed. They can always be put forward a little further if I do reach them before I'm ready.
February 18, 2011 at 20:19 | Registered Commenterwairererose
I have a morning routine arriving at my office about SF which is reading my all pages once of SF. I notice I often cross on column 1 some urgent tasks or must do task I find on page 3 (my last page) and report it as urgent on colum 1 of my secont page (the last current page i am working on which still active tasks in column 2 or 1...) page one is finished C2crossed C1 dismissed and crossed.

Mark I am right to do this ?

Thanks for the answer !
February 18, 2011 at 21:00 | Registered CommenterJupiter
That's a neat trick, wair!
February 18, 2011 at 21:22 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
Jupiter

I think you are going to have to rephrase your question. I've read it over three times, and still can't follow what you mean. Write it in French if you like.
February 18, 2011 at 23:04 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
I keep old pages that have dismissed tasks. Sometimes when reviewing dismissed tasks I grab ones I know I want to reconsider in the future and add them to a List of Possibilities (a someday/maybe list) and then delete them. I can then toss the page.

But I don't really see the harm in doing the dismissal before the rules say I must.

I do like wairererose's idea of just writing it on a future page if I have some sense of how far off to push it. But an outlook reminder to reconsider it would likely work just as well.

However I capture it for reconsideration would let me delete it as "completed for now" within the rules yet wouldn't leave me worried about forgetting it.
February 18, 2011 at 23:31 | Registered CommenterMartyH
Bonjour Mark

Désolé je vais essayer d'être plus clair.
Ma question porte sur une habitude que j'ai prise de lire toutes les pages de mon cahier en arrivant au bureau sauf celles qui sont définitivement supprimées.

J'utilise la méthode classique de les survoler sans intention de les faire.

Aussi, je me suis aperçu découvrir très souvent des taches urgentes dans les dernières pages en colonne 1 . Ces taches n'avaient aucune urgence au moment ou je les ai écrites, mais le sont devenue depuis.

J'ai donc pris l'habitude de barrer ces taches et de les reporter sur la première page disponible C2, celle par laquelle je commence c'est à dire c'est à dire celle ou je me suis arrêté la veille et par laquelle je commence ma journée

J'y ai trouvé 2 avantages :
Le premier de me rassurer. J'ai toujours peur d'oublier quelque chose d'important.
Cette habitude me permet d'être sur de n'avoir rien oublié !.
Le deuxième avantage est que je suis obligé de faire ces taches puisque je ne peux pas passer à la page suivante tant que je n'ai pas traité toutes les taches de la colonne 2)

Est ce une bonne habitude ?

Merci Mark .
February 19, 2011 at 11:12 | Registered CommenterJupiter
Thanks, Jupiter, that's much clearer. Yes, that seems to me to be a perfectly sensible thing to do.
February 19, 2011 at 13:24 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Si je veux liser Le Monde, c'est pas façile pour moi. Mais tes mots ici sont très clair!

For the rest (and to be sure I understand correctly), I think essentially you say:
Sometimes you like to read through the whole list looking for things you need to do soon, because you might have forgotten about them. If you find some you Rewrite those on the next C2 as urgent. This gives you confidence to proceed more easily in working the current page.
February 19, 2011 at 14:09 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
@Mark OK great.
@Alain Yes this is what i meant. Thanks for the summary translation.
February 19, 2011 at 14:59 | Registered CommenterJupiter