To Think About . . .

Nothing is foolproof because fools are ingenious. Anon

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > why was Superfocus v3 abandoned again?

I was looking around the website and came upon Superfocus v3. On a whim I tried it out again, with a minor change: I redefined unfinished items as "unfinished items for today"; that is, if a task was still unfinished but I determined that I had done enough for today, it is not rewritten on the next page's Column 2, but instead it is rewritten at the end of the list.

I was pleasantly surprised: SFv3 has all the flow of AF1 but with these enhancements: (1) the ability to handle urgent tasks efficiently, and (2) a greater emphasis on "little and often".

Heck, you can even add a "Do this first thing in the morning" task: rewrite your most important task into your current page's Column 2 before you sleep.

Why did we abandon this system again?
March 3, 2016 at 18:09 | Registered Commenternuntym
For me it just was too much mental burden having to follow the rules. Deciding whether somethings was done or sortof done was an issue. Managing the left and right columns also. Sometimes too slow movement through the list. It just didn't flow in my mind. Unlike say FVP where the only decision is whether to mark a task or not.
March 3, 2016 at 18:36 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
nuntym:

<< I redefined unfinished items as "unfinished items for today"; that is, if a task was still unfinished but I determined that I had done enough for today, >>

A finished task is either 1) a task which has no more current work left in it, e.g. you have emptied your email inbox, or 2) a task in which you have achieved your target for the day, e.g. read one chapter of "War and Peace".

"Why did we abandon this system again? "

I'm having some difficulty remembering. But I think there were several reasons. They possibly included:

1) The two-column system wasn't able to cope with with the huge lists that some people (no names!) built up.

2) I found resistance building up to always having to clear column 2

3) It was slow-moving once the list had got beyond a certain size (which it invariably did).

4) I was getting an idea for a better system (which became FV).
March 3, 2016 at 19:41 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Alan: <<For me it just was too much mental burden having to follow the rules...Unlike say FVP where the only decision is whether to mark a task or not.>>

Huh. The opposite was my experience. FVP was becoming a headache for me because I keep on finding that the "chain" keeps on getting obsolete: the items that I mark just a few hours before (or worse, those that I mark a day before) don't necessarily mean those are the tasks I want to do now.

On the other hand, SFv3's rules are simple for me to understand. Before I cross out a task that I want to re-write, I ask myself: Do I want to resume this later today? If the answer is yes, it gets rewritten to the next page's Column 2; if not, it gets written to the last page's Column 1.

I think it's FVP's influence on me, the idea of doing what we want to do, that helped me in this regard.

On the other hand, having experience with "No List" systems I think helped me with achieving an AF1 like flow of work. It seems the "no list" system I was using before conditioned me to focus only on a few hard tasks at a time, to the point that I never have had more than two items total in my Column 2, with one of them usually the hard task I am focusing to finish and the other task some other urgent task that would interfere me.

-----

Mark: <<A finished task is either 1) a task which has no more current work left in it, e.g. you have emptied your email inbox, or 2) a task in which you have achieved your target for the day, e.g. read one chapter of "War and Peace".>>

Ah, I see the difference then. As I mentioned to Alan, my definition of "unfinished" has been heavily influenced by FVP, and thus I do not think of a specific daily target for a task. I just define what makes a task "finished" but I do not try to define how much should I do of it in a day. So far it has been working well.

<<1) The two-oolumn system wasn't able to cope with with the huge lists that some people (no names!) built up.>>

No problem with that yet!

<<2) I found resistance building up to always having to clear column 2>>

Well since I have redefined what an "unfinished" task is I don't have any problem with that yet.

<<3) It was slow-moving once the list had got beyond a certain size (which it invariably did).>>

I hope my trend of not abusing Column 2 and sticking to the dismissal process strictly will help with that.

<<4) I was getting an idea for a better system (which became FV)>>

Oh I don't know about that :-)
March 3, 2016 at 21:20 | Registered Commenternuntym
The UTMS, something between SuperFocus and FinalVersion worked perfectly fine for me. It was the "two-lists" system that worked best for me.
March 3, 2016 at 23:11 | Unregistered CommenterChristopher
March 4, 2016 at 0:03 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
This gives me an idea. While working in 5T mode, I often capture new things on a "side list" -- which I have been treating as a dynamic list -- till I have worked my 5T down to two items and am ready for more. It's been very ad-hoc -- I don't have any "system" for feeding the 5T list from this side list -- which has been fine. I just scan the side list sometimes, and if I have room on my 5T list, I add 1-2 things. This has been fine -- but sometimes I feel a little scattered.

So maybe I can just do "5T + UTMS" which would basically be "UTMS but throw away everything at the end of the day". :-) Hm, sounds kinda fun, and easy to try. I will give it a whirl.
March 4, 2016 at 2:39 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
Seraphim:

As a matter of interest how many items do you usually have on your side list?
March 4, 2016 at 10:08 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Maybe 3 or 4
March 4, 2016 at 14:37 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
That's a controllable number.
March 4, 2016 at 15:44 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
I moved from fvp to 5T about a week ago and currently have a "side list" consisting of about 45 postits stuck all around me.

My next 5T task after posting this is to deal with them . No idea how. Very tempted to bin the lot without looking at them.
March 4, 2016 at 16:51 | Unregistered Commenterpickenham
pickenham:

<< My next 5T task after posting this is to deal with them . No idea how. Very tempted to bin the lot without looking at them >>

Give yourself an hour to work on clearing them and then bin them.
March 4, 2016 at 17:06 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Thanks for the advice

Did the hour and got rid of the side-list

Next step: top-fiving for ways to stop the postits creeping back. Mainly, by writing note directly to project pages or accumulation lists, I think. Also, hiding the postit pad.

The only notes I didn't know what to do with were the "store this tip for future use" type note.
For example, Seraphim's idea for using a drywipe, or a suggestion to use comb to hold a nail next time I need to hammer something, or a keyboard shortcut

Previously, they'd go in my catchall and though I'd FVP past them, the info would slowly go in by the power of scanning, and the spaced-out study effect. At least, it seemed like it did..

Perhaps I need a commonplace book for items like that, and assume that 5T will take me there when I really need.
March 5, 2016 at 20:56 | Unregistered Commenterpickenham
Mark wrote:

> Yes, UTMS was a pretty good system:
>
> [http://markforster.squarespace.com/blog/2013/6/13/the-ultimate-time-management-system.html ]

I can't figure out why this one was abandoned.

It does seem like a good system.
March 21, 2016 at 8:19 | Registered CommenterFrank
Frank:

<< I can't figure out why this one was abandoned.>>

It all depends what you mean by abandoned. The system still exists and anyone is free to use it and if necessary adapt it for their own use. I am also perfectly willing to answer questions about it.
March 21, 2016 at 9:50 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Mark wrote:

>> It all depends what you mean by abandoned

I guess I just mean by the general community. I couldn't find much, if any, discussion of it beyond the original thread.

AF4 has always been one of my favourite systems. And this approach fixes one of the few "disadvantages" of it, which was being able to keep deferring a resistant (but necessary) task by doing a tiny bit of work on it and then submerging it into the open list.
March 21, 2016 at 10:06 | Registered CommenterFrank
SuperFocus and UTMS (Improved) are two of Mark's best systems. Both are favorites of mine.
March 21, 2016 at 12:09 | Registered CommenterMichael B.
Pickenham,

I used to worry about forgetting good ideas, too. And worry about not seeing all of the good ideas, so I signed up for many newsletters and blogs that might have them. My inbox quickly became overloaded. Most of the ideas were repeats or not useful to me. The time spent going through the them looking for gems was not well-spent.

Nowadays, I trust a few good sources to find good ideas for me. Even those often repeat themselves and each other. (After vacation is a good time to purge. Seeing how many arrive in a week is different from the few that arrive each day.)

I also trust myself to remember most of the good ideas. The few I want to remember I keep in EverNote, and add many key words so I can find them again. At one point I even had a weekly limit, just to break the habit.

I have a file for "read in Jan next year" for anything I might need after that, but don't need now. This January, I tossed all but two things.

My Pocket collection, especially TED talks, is still a problem. Sometimes I make myself delete 5 before I get to read 5. (Experiment with numbers. I found the first of each batch hard, and 10 was too many.)
March 23, 2016 at 16:46 | Registered CommenterCricket
Cricket:

<< My Pocket collection, especially TED talks, is still a problem. >>

The secret with Pocket is not to feel you have to read everything you put in it. Then it stops being a problem and becomes something which you can just pick an interesting article or two out of when you happen to feel like it.
March 23, 2016 at 17:00 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Mark, I'm working toward that. There's still Fear of Missing Out.

I am, however, using closed lists with it. Each month, I tag new entries with the month's name. Seeing 100 articles from Feb makes me question how many of them are actually of value, and I get selective. It also makes me ask, "How many hours a month do I want to devote to low-urgency, undetermined usefulness, videos?"
March 24, 2016 at 0:36 | Registered CommenterCricket
Cricket:

<< How many hours a month do I want to devote to low-urgency, undetermined usefulness, videos? >>

My own personal answer to that would be "none". I never listen to podcasts or lectures on video. They just take too long. If there's no transcript, then I'm not interested.

I'm not sure my attitude is entirely consistent since I do go to live lectures on occasions, and I'm perfectly happy to watch the movie or tv version of a novel. For instance I just watched the first episode of Ford Madox Ford's "Parade's End" last night.
March 24, 2016 at 8:53 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
I admit to listening to podcasts when I'm doing mindless chores, when routines have been nicely grooved. Yes, it probably does detract from focus. (Sorry, Ms Kondo: I was listening to a couple of Stever's when I was tidying my room last night in preparation for the Easter Hordes.)
March 24, 2016 at 9:46 | Registered CommenterWill
I used to listen to podcasts while doing mindless chores, but then realized it was part of the information firehose mindset.

I started being mindful of how the water and dishes felt, and the thoughts they bring up. Paying attention to the smells and birds and neighbours while running.

Now I only listen while crafting or on the treadmill (which is only when the weather is bad). I'm much happier and calmer, and don't have the daily stress of keeping up with the incoming information.

(Having said that, some presenters are better listened to. Stever Robbins, Stuart McLean, and This American Life come to mind. Even though I can hear their voices from the text, their real voices are even better.)
March 24, 2016 at 15:41 | Registered CommenterCricket
Cricket,

Yes. I've been slackening off as well.

(Also the British History Podcast. And the Prairie Home Companion.)
March 24, 2016 at 16:36 | Registered CommenterWill
Cricket wrote:
<< There's still Fear of Missing Out. >>

See new article by Tim Ferris where he specifically addresses the Fear of Missing Out.
http://markforster.squarespace.com/forum/post/2585898
March 24, 2016 at 20:44 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
Mark:

"I never listen to podcasts or lectures on video. They just take too long. If there's no transcript, then I'm not interested."

Is this so you can skim through the transcripts?

Or, do you read them fast in their entirety? Faster than a speaker can speak.

I rarely watch lectures on video. They demand I remain stationary and staring at a screen. I either choose short videos, or download the video as an audio file and listen to it while doing something else.

On the other hand, I find podcasts incredibly efficient and effective for learning. I listen to them on walks, runs, and while driving. Reading a transcript of the same material would take me longer without skimming—and again, I would need to remain stationary. Hearing the speaker's voice gives more clues as to the meaning behind ambiguous statements too. Not needing to pause, re-read, and ponder those ambiguities as much makes audio learning, to me, very efficient.
March 25, 2016 at 7:14 | Registered CommenterMichael B.
Michael B:

<< Is this so you can skim through the transcripts? Or, do you read them fast in their entirety? Faster than a speaker can speak.>>

If I'm going to read them at all, I'll read them as an article rather than skim them.

<< I rarely watch lectures on video. They demand I remain stationary and staring at a screen. I either choose short videos, or download the video as an audio file and listen to it while doing something else. On the other hand, I find podcasts incredibly efficient and effective for learning. I listen to them on walks, runs, and while driving. >>

I don't like listening to audio while doing something else. If I'm driving I want to experience driving - I don't as a rule even listen to the radio while driving (I drive a Porsche which may influence me - I love the sound of the engine!). If I'm walking I want to experience walking. And so on.

I'm just reporting my own experience - not trying to influence anyone else.
March 25, 2016 at 8:04 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
With short articles, I'm often sucked into the "Must read it" mindset.

With longer ones and/or difficult ones, though, I often skim all or part of it to decide which parts, if any, are worth reading.

One of the hallmarks of good technical writing is being able to safely skim the parts that don't affect you.

I used to write procedures. I annoyed me to no end when I'd update a procedure that affected them. "Do I have to read it?" Well, let's see. The letter you received says what changed and who is affected (often cosmetic or to give more freedom). The reason you got the letter, is, as stated in the letter, so you are aware of the change. If it's a new procedure, the first paragraph explained what the procedure covered (and often what it did not, and links to intersecting procedures). The second section had, by person, a short (100 word) summary of what they did. And, I already consulted you, many times, before making the change!
March 25, 2016 at 23:05 | Registered CommenterCricket